Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And back to this again, it you want to believe it happens every game that our supporters are mindless automatons and there is a movement against the board because of this then so be it. It’s just all very silly really and bit paranoid. I suspect the rantionale for this is when Kane does leave the blame will be placed on the media for unsettling the player.
I respectfully disagree with a lot of your views, but on this media bias issue I make you absolutely right. I'd wager that on every major PL message board there's a thread where fans are convinced there's a media conspiracy against them. United, Liverpool, Woolwich...they all have supporters who are convinced of some kind of agenda against their club.

I respectfully disagree with a lot of your views, but on this media bias issue I make you absolutely right. I'd wager that on every major PL message board there's a thread where fans are convinced there's a media conspiracy against them. United, Liverpool, Woolwich...they all have supporters who are convinced of some kind of agenda against their club.
This is correct. You only have to peep at RAWK to see that they believe we are the press darlings. Doesn’t make it true though.
In our case, we genuinely are on the receiving end of regular shite that we can’t keep our players, bottle trophies and league dog fights etc etc (even where a primary school infant could work out that we couldn’t have possibly won the league). I use the scousers as an example because they are the most deluded bunch of all, and the press literally drool on anything coming out of that toilet of a city. They actually think they are hard done by in the media, when (Hillsborough aside) they really aren’t. They are revered for finishing 4th in a two horse race for third. Salah has propped them up this year. When he fucks off its back to the drawing board for them again a la Suarez.

The media is obviously bias, they're human beings it's impossible not to be biased, they're also 'pack animals' so they adopt pack thinking .... here's a few bias positions ...

Liverpool are serial winners - yet they've never won the EPL - not won an FA Cup in 12 years - just one League Cup in 25 years - just one European trophy in 15 years .... that's hardly serial winners but that's how they are portrayed ...

Woolwich play negative football - yet only City and Liverpool scored more than them last year ...

Spurs are a selling club - yet we've only sold one 'first team starter' in three years ... Walker ...

Tough Wednesday at Stoke - Stoke have been in the top half of the fair play league for the last four seasons

There are loads more examples of where the media has a 'position' on certain teams, completely at odds with the facts .... that's bias .... it can be good, it can be bad, but it certainly exists ....

This is correct. You only have to peep at RAWK to see that they believe we are the press darlings. Doesn’t make it true though.
In our case, we genuinely are on the receiving end of regular shite that we can’t keep our players, bottle trophies and league dog fights etc etc (even where a primary school infant could work out that we couldn’t have possibly won the league). I use the scousers as an example because they are the most deluded bunch of all, and the press literally drool on anything coming out of that toilet of a city. They actually think they are hard done by in the media, when (Hillsborough aside) they really aren’t. They are revered for finishing 4th in a two horse race for third. Salah has propped them up this year. When he fucks off its back to the drawing board for them again a la Suarez.
I posted an example in the media bias thread. We were level on points with Liverpool with a game in hand, the article was about who would finish higher, Liverpool or Utd. If we had finished below Liverpool, I might be willing to accept that they had some insight into how things would pan out that I couldn't see. But they didn't, in fact they very rarely do. Despite all the pundits seeing it as nailed on.
The fact is that football journalism is a low paid job populated by uneducated ex-pros and journalists that couldn't make it on the front pages. I read recently that a journalist has on average 45 minutes to research, write, and edit a newspaper article. It is probably not surprising that they haven't altered their mindsets or narratives since the 80s

Last edited:
I posted an example in the media bias thread. We were level on points with Liverpool with a game in hand, the article was about who would finish higher, Liverpool or Utd. If we had finished below Liverpool, I might be willing to accept that they had some insight into how things would pan out that I couldn't see. But they didn't, in fact they very rarely do. Despite all the pundits seeing it as nailed on.
The fact is that football journalism is a low paid job populated by uneducated ex-pros and journalists that couldn't make it on the front pages. I read recently that a journalist has on average 45 minutes to research, write, and edit a newspaper article. It is probably not surprising that they haven't altered their mindsets or narratives since the 80s
Thanks for confirming my suspicions with hard evidence (I’m too lazy to go searching because I try not to do anything that will end up annoying the fuck out of me)

Every clubs fanbase thinks their is a bias against them, you are 100% correct. Fans from all clubs are protective against their clubs and take a default option to protect their club that they love, they get angered at insinuations that they are shit, that player x, y or z is shit or that their manager should have done x, y or z. I'm not disputing that for one second. It forms probably 80%(completely guessing) of the relationship between media and fans. It works because it creates response, response creates clicks, views and engagement, engagement = £££££. Nice things get read but generates far less engagement with the actual supporter base. That said what's on the rise is the interaction of the rival fan abuse and anger that a "nice" or positive piece then generates. Journalists get bombarded with shit from supporters on a negative piece they have written, then get shit from rival fans if they have written a positive piece.

I'm saying there is a "narrative". This narrative that Spurs have is that Spurs can't keep hold of their players and manager. Are you saying this narrative doesn't exist?

As detailed in previous posts all Clubs have a narrative set around them too, it's not just a Spurs thing. The narrative that surrounds the other clubs I bet is just as annoying to their fans too. Liverpool's poor defence is their narrative, whilst there are kernels of truth about a shit goal keeper, or a dodgy CB they actually have the 4th best defence in the league, just two gaols worse off than us. A narrative that really doesn't represent the reality, which is no doubt really fucking annoying to their supporters. It is something that the media will mention pre-match and post-match. If Lovren or their keeper makes a mistake then it fuels the narrative but the reality is they are in the top 10% of defences in the country. When a narrative takes hold it is picked up on and regurgitated by rival fans as a truth. The result is large swaths of the clubs own fanbase stop defending it and start to repeat it. It's why I have challenged you and Nikesh (most recently) on the subject of keeping our players and manager. I wouldn't be doing this if we were unable to keep our players (I expect we will lose a player here and there because I acknowledge our place in the football pyramid) but we have only lost ONE.

Our narrative of selling our players not our manager is false. It's false because we have only lost one player (Walker) in the period Poch has been our manager. I'm saying this doesn't warrant the narrative, it doesn't support it one bit. In fact it's false and totally inaccurate.

DdrVaFvV0AAHE1w.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t really agree with this. We finished 23 points behind the first place team in the league.

To say the only way we can improve is in the cups almost omits what happens in the league in a weekly basis.

Real improvement for me would be getting closer to City. In turn that would lead to being better in Europe.
I think the biggest thing now is to really compete.
Not just be making up the numbers.

But I would rather have had our season than Chelsea’s this year. I know there are plenty who disagree though.
For sure our season over Chelsea's. My point is Poch is upping the ante, which is fair enough, and I think it's good for us supporters, but the only real improvement is silverware now. Having less of a gap between us and Man City isn't really the next step, it's still losing, or not winning I should say.

Poch doesn't want that status quo, he wants the next step, but that's a double edged sword. The expectations will be ramped up with it.

I'm firmly in his camp, I think he's a fantastic manager and we're lucky to have him. He's raised our standards significantly and in over 25 years of following the club I don't think we've had such a positive and promising outlook.

Every clubs fanbase thinks their is a bias against them, you are 100% correct. Fans from all clubs are protective against their clubs and take a default option to protect their club that they love, they get angered at insinuations that they are shit, that player x, y or z is shit or that their manager should have done x, y or z. I'm not disputing that for one second. It forms probably 80%(completely guessing) of the relationship between media and fans. It works because it creates response, response creates clicks, views and engagement, engagement = £££££. Nice things get read but generates far less engagement with the actual supporter base. That said what's on the rise is the interaction of the rival fan abuse and anger that a "nice" or positive piece then generates. Journalists get bombarded with shit from supporters on a negative piece they have written, then get shit from rival fans if they have written a positive piece.

I'm saying there is a "narrative". This narrative that Spurs have is that Spurs can't keep hold of their players and manager. Are you saying this narrative doesn't exist?

As detailed in previous posts all Clubs have a narrative set around them too, it's not just a Spurs thing. The narrative that surrounds the other clubs I bet is just as annoying to their fans too. Liverpool's poor defence is their narrative, whilst there are kernels of truth about a shit goal keeper, or a dodgy CB they actually have the 4th best defence in the league, just two gaols worse off than us. A narrative that really doesn't represent the reality, which is no doubt really fucking annoying to their supporters. It is something that the media will mention pre-match and post-match. If Lovren or their keeper makes a mistake then it fuels the narrative but the reality is they are in the top 10% of defensives in the country. When a narrative takes hold it is picked up on and regurgitated by rival fans as a truth. The result is large swaths of the clubs own fanbase stop defending it and start to repeat it. It's why I have challenged you and Nikesh (most recently) on the subject of keeping our players and manager. I wouldn't be doing this if we were unable to keep our players (I expect we will lose a player here and there because I acknowledge our place in the football pyramid) but we have only lost ONE.

Our narrative of selling our players not our manager is false. It's false because we have only lost one player (Walker) in the period Poch has been our manager. I'm saying this doesn't warrant the narrative, it doesn't support it one bit. In fact it's false and totally inaccurate.

DdrVaFvV0AAHE1w.jpg
Only 10 uses of the word “narrative” in this one.
Mick Cooper Mick Cooper will be disappointed.

:troll:

As detailed in previous posts all Clubs have a narrative set around them too, it's not just a Spurs thing. The narrative that surrounds the other clubs I bet is just as annoying to their fans too. Liverpool's poor defence is their narrative, whilst there are kernels of truth about a shit goal keeper, or a dodgy CB they actually have the 4th best defence in the league, just two gaols worse off than us. A narrative that really doesn't represent the reality, which is no doubt really fucking annoying to their supporters. It is something that the media will mention pre-match and post-match. If Lovren or their keeper makes a mistake then it fuels the narrative but the reality is they are in the top 10% of defences in the country. When a narrative takes hold it is picked up on and regurgitated by rival fans as a truth. The result is large swaths of the clubs own fanbase stop defending it and start to repeat it. It's why I have challenged you and Nikesh (most recently) on the subject of keeping our players and manager. I wouldn't be doing this if we were unable to keep our players (I expect we will lose a player here and there because I acknowledge our place in the football pyramid) but we have only lost ONE.

DdrVaFvV0AAHE1w.jpg
I don't think you quite understand what narrative means

Yea, we talk about how Liverpool fans are always the victims, but then the same people here are always acting like the media hates us, fa hates us, everyone hates us.

Back
Top Bottom