Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And just last week he said this, and he's clearly talking to you and Levy.

If we believe that operating in the same way as the last 5 years we are going to continue to compete against teams like Liverpool, City and united i think we are very naive.

NAIVE, Guido. He's talking to you, mate.

We need to create a plan that is different to what happened in the last 5 years.
If people expect the same thing, GIVE ME DIFFERENT TOOLS TO WORK WITH.
If not, I would be the most stupid person to work

TOOLS... He's talking to you again, and Levy. He needs new players. He needs a budget that can give us the tools to keep us competitive.

Only Pocchetino could have achieved what he's achieved on the miniscule budget he's been allowed to work with these past few years. We don't want our champion's league winning parade to be his farewell, which, if he doesn't get the change of plan he's looking for, he's indicated it might well be.
And here is Poch talking to you...

We need to create a plan that is different to what happened in the last 5 years.

TOOLS... He's talking to you again, and Levy. He needs new players. He needs a budget that can give us the tools to keep us competitive.

Only Pocchetino could have achieved what he's achieved on the miniscule budget he's been allowed to work with these past few years. We don't want our champion's league winning parade to be his farewell, which, if he doesn't get the change of plan he's looking for, he's indicated it might well be.
You are wrong. Tools does not mean a better squad, it means he needs a new set of screwdrivers, spanners etc.

I'm not picking sides, I'm not going to pretend to know the inner workings of the club, and why, exactly, we didn't sign anyone the last two windows.

But for me, the quote above where I've added emphasis is the long and short of it. I don't think Poch was able to find the right player(s) for the right price(s) and instead chose to do nothing.

I don't think that will be the case this summer. We'll have to check back at the end of August, but I think this crazy bold strategy worked out for the club. We enter the break with some clear needs, we guaranteed CL next year, and are showing potential transfers that we are capable of challenging for the biggest club trophy in the game. We also have the additional CL funds from this season, as well as the funds rolled over from previous windows.

I would hope for 3/4 signings with 1-2 of them being players who will regularly be in the starting 11 next season.

And I really hope we're able to keep Toby & Eriksen.
I largely agree with you.

All along he is willing to sign a player. But all along he is looking to improve the team. This is achieved largely two ways, improve the players you already have and buy players that will improve the team. No one has any visibility on the funds available to Poch to spend (from that pot a chunk of it has gone and will continue to go on improved wages on players he wants to keep and who want to be here) the remainder will go on new players. I do not know how this translates, whether we are shopping for another Dele/Dier (£5m) or a Sanchez (£40m) or if we are looking in the pond above and frankly I don't care. One thing is crystal clear and that Poch will sign a player if they "improve" the team. Dele/Dier improved us, Sanchez improved us and had we been successful in signing de Jong he would have improved us.

But in football the player, you covert (de Jong) might prefer going to a bigger and better club than us. If this means you then sign no one then so be it. What makes me laugh is there are people upset with this because they would prefer we just sign anyone for the sake of it. They moan at Levy for not signing a player when it's been Levy all along that will sign a player. In fact, as Poch writes in his book he has had to persuade Levy NOT to sign anyone, he's managing Levy.

You are wrong. Tools does not mean a better squad, it means he needs a new set of screwdrivers, spanners etc.

tenor.gif

If we believe that operating in the same way as the last 5 years we are going to continue to compete against teams like Liverpool, City and united i think we are very naive.

Firstly you sidestep the fact that you got it wrong about his "frustration" at not signing a player last year!! That was your argument you put forward and I responded to. I'm glad I've cleared up yet another mistake of yours.

Now onto your new post about his comments last week. Quite what they have to do with your last post, well that's anyone's guess, I suppose you just need to dig the hole bigger. Fetch the spade, Jonny.

But here is fucking thing numbnuts. I agree 100% in what Poch said last week. I have no problem with us resetting the clock, resetting our objectives. In fact, it's completely in line with what the Club has been working towards for the past 20yrs. To get the club to close to the financial level of those we are currently competing for trophies and titles. We've been nowhere near them, now we have overtaken one and closed the gap significantly to Chavs and Liverpool, although it must be stressed both still have significantly more revenue than us.

But you already know this John because I've already communicated what it means at length and you disagreed with it last week. You AGAIN have also missed off the very part of his monologue that still shows Poch knows exactly where we are as a club:
MP: "But because I know very well how this business works and we know very well that we need to operate in a different way - that doesn't mean to spend more or less money - when I say operate, it’s not only to say spend money or sell players or buy players.

"To operate differently is to be transparent and way ‘that is what we want’ for the next year, for the next five years, for the next ten years. And start to work hard."

This goes to the exact opposite of your interpretation, what a fucking surprise!!

His entire monologue was about a new plan and being transparent. I've no idea about the transparency element translates but I've already taken a guess that it might be aimed at you, who fail to grasp what he's on about, so maybe he wants to outline what fans should expect from us, maybe he wants to communicate what objectives we are fighting for as opposed to "top 4" (all the other clubs objective is also top 4 with the exception of City who has publicly stated it's their intention to win everything).

None of this is hard to grasp if you know what we've been working towards, what we've achieved.

Last edited:
From one tool to another, whats your interpretation of Poch's new tools he needs to work with. Drill bits?
I'm not the one who reads between the lines.

That is you.

I have always believed what he says whilst you have called our legend of a manager a liar and disparaged his character all season.

I've told you for 3 years this will be the transfer window we make our moves.

Lo and behold, here we go.

From one tool to another, whats your interpretation of Poch's new tools he needs to work with. Drill bits?
Food for thought. Has there been another club in the PL building a stadium? Now think of the difference between us and all those clubs not building a stadium. Think of the resources, just isolate one job, one resource. Let's say Levy. How many hours do you think Levy dedicates to the Stadium each day over the last 5yrs? With the stadium built do you think he still dedicates those hours to the stadium?

Now multiply that resource across the entire workforce at the Club. There are a lot of resources that have been taken away from running/supporting a football club, which now can be refocused back to running/supporting a football club. Another word for these hours or resources is tools. There will be more tools to work with now the stadium has been built. Everyone pulling in the same direction.

Every member of staff at a football club is there to make it function better, be that a receptionist or an analyst or a groundsman or a member of the marketing team. Crystal Palace's staff turn up in the morning and focus on their role that aims to make the club better.

With the stadium built our staff can now embrace their roles without the distraction of the stadium eating into their role.

Tools. The same tools enjoyed by all the football clubs in the PL apart from us the last few years.

If he meant players, why wouldnt he say players?
You think he is giving Levy ultimatums via the media, yet you think hes holding back from simply saying "I want new players"...

Doesnt make sense, even to you John

What else does he mean by tools ?

Read Guido's post above, I think he summed it up well...

Also Poch said this:

"But because I know very well how this business works and we know very well that we need to operate in a different way - that doesn't mean to spend more or less money - when I say operate, it’s not only to say spend money or sell players or buy players.

"To operate differently is to be transparent and way ‘that is what we want’ for the next year, for the next five years, for the next ten years. And start to work hard."

So that states very clearly he doesnt mean new players when he says tools, and operate a different way does not just mean signings.

Im sure people will ignore Pochs own words again, and use their interpretations to create some fantasy like theyve done for the last 12 months, and ask the same shit in five minutes time, but theres the quote which refutes all the "reading between the lines".
There is no hidden message.

If he meant players, he would say players, and not tools.....so dont ask me what he meant by tools.
Ask yourself why he didnt say players.

Read Guido's post above, I think he summed it up well...

Also Poch said this:

"But because I know very well how this business works and we know very well that we need to operate in a different way - that doesn't mean to spend more or less money - when I say operate, it’s not only to say spend money or sell players or buy players.

So that states very clearly he doesnt mean new players when he says tools, and operate a different way does not just mean signings.

Im sure people will ignore Pochs own words again, and use their interpretations to create some fantasy like theyve done for the last 12 months, and ask the same shit in five minutes time, but theres the quote which refutes all the "reading between the lines".
There is no hidden message.

If he meant players, he would say players, and not tools.....so dont ask me what he meant by tools.
Ask yourself why he didnt say players.

I think he meant spend more or less money than the other clubs he mentioned to be honest and he wants levy to be more transparent in his dealings so it's not only about spending money but spending money is a part of it

The reality is that these words are open to interpretation you and the others who are so vehemently telling everyone you're right and they are wrong is a tad tedious because unless you are in Poch's inner circle or Poch himself you have no right to claim anybody is wrong about anything you've merely interpreted a different meaning to the same words.

I think he meant spend more or less money than the other clubs he mentioned to be honest and he wants levy to be more transparent in his dealings so it's not only about spending money but spending money is a part of it

The reality is that these words are open to interpretation you and the others who are so vehemently telling everyone you're right and they are wrong is a tad tedious because unless you are in Poch's inner circle or Poch himself you have no right to claim anybody is wrong about anything you've merely interpreted a different meaning to the same words.

My interpretation is this:

"To operate differently is to be transparent and say ‘that is what we want’ for the next year, for the next five years, for the next ten years. And start to work hard."

Feel free to argue against it.
My interpretation of the word tools, is tools.

Your interpretation of the word tools, is buy loads of players. You dont deserve to be taken seriously

Actually, I find myself in the unenviable position of agreeing with you.
I don’t see what else his “ambiguous” words could mean this time.
He is saying that the last 5 years have been amazing and put us way ahead of the original plan.
He’s saying we cannot operate in the next 5 years as we did the last 5. I agree with him.
He’s saying that regression is inevitable if we don’t change (we have to keep up with those below us as well as not losing pace on those ahead of us- anything else is naive

The timing of what he is saying is poor.
But I think he is making a very strong point. So maybe the timing doesn’t matter.

I’m just shutting off to everything until June 2nd.

We will see what’s what then & what will be will be.

Back
Top Bottom