Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So you’re saying Pochettinos success was down to our structure and not him? Loooooooooooooooool :dembelelol:

I’m sorry I guess he didn’t inherit Kane, Eriksen, Dembele, Vertonghen, Lloris, Walker, Rose and Lamela.

Apologies - I thought Ali being the club was due to Pleat scouting him and with the transfer committee. Same with Dier, Son and Alderwield.

Newcastle don’t need to make any singings - all they need to do is bring him in and they will challenging for the league like Southampton were under him.

As I said good manager made to look far greater than his actual talent by the talent he inherited and quickly got found out when that talent started to decline.

Jol is quite a good reference point actually. I wouldn't be surprised if his managerial career doesn't go the same way if he hasn't learnt from his mistakes.

Jol was 51 when he left us, Pochettino is 48 at those ages you will have seen all you will need to see from a manager and his ability.

Players decline in their 30s whilst managers decline in their 50s. It laughable to suggest Pochettino’s best years are ahead of him.

I’m sorry I guess he didn’t inherit Kane, Eriksen, Dembele, Vertonghen, Lloris, Walker, Rose and Lamela.

Apologies - I thought Ali being the club was due to Pleat scouting him and with the transfer committee. Same with Dier, Son and Alderwield.

Newcastle don’t need to make any singings - all they need to do is bring him in and they will challenging for the league like Southampton were under him.

As I said good manager made to look far greater than his actual talent by the talent he inherited and quickly got found out when that talent started to decline.
Talent he inherited? What had ANY of those players you mentioned achieved in the game before Pochettino took over?

Talent he inherited? What had ANY of those players you mentioned achieved in the game before Pochettino took over?

Yes talent he inherited.

oh but what your saying is that those players wouldn’t be the players today without Poch right?

Just like Jansen, Nije, Stambouli, Bentaleb, GKN, Wimmsr and Aurier to name a few wouldn’t be the players today with out him right?

Yes talent he inherited.

oh but what your saying is that those players wouldn’t be the players today without Poch right?

Just like Jansen, Nije, Stambouli, Bentaleb, GKN, Wimmsr and Aurier to name a few wouldn’t be the players today with out him right?
Now come on, obviously there has to be a cut off point. Some of those players are genuinely Championship level players at best. No manager in world football would have gotten a tune out of those lads.

You only have to look at Southampton to see how he is able to get decently talented players to a higher level. Chambers Lovren Schneiderlin Rodriguez Shaw Lallana. Look at some of the moves them players got as a direct result of Pochettino.

Now come on, obviously there has to be a cut off point. Some of those players are genuinely Championship level players at best. No manager in world football would have gotten a tune out of those lads.

You only have to look at Southampton to see how he is able to get decently talented players to a higher level. Chambers Lovren Schneiderlin Rodriguez Shaw Lallana. Look at some of the moves them players got as a direct result of Pochettino.

That’s the whole point - if you put Poch in Newcastle with no signings now they wouldn’t finish in the top half.

He walked into a a club that had abundance of talent available to him. It’s exactly the same situation Redknapp walked into - it’s why we were able finish top 4 next season but he couldn’t do this at QPR because he didn’t have the talent to stay in the league.

Pochettinho has been massively inflated by this club - his previous managerial career is hardly a ringing endorsement. His best placed finish at Southampton was 9th. Koeman who walked into a mess was 6th. Pochettino’s win ratio there was 38% his was 48 %.

Again good manager but a massively overrated one

We support Tottenham mate. Don't act like trophies is rhe only way we measure success.
Sorry didn't realise spurs have never won any trophies. I don't act like spurs are bournmouth mate and are happy just to compete. When I see a squad as good as as everyone else in the top 6 and them all win trophies and we fail to I will not class our manager as a success

I have a lot of time for Martin Jol and I also had a lot of time for Poch. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time, even when we kept blowing finals and semi finals. In the end it was proven that he isn't a winner., hence why no big clubs have moved in for him with him being a free agent. Newcastle is the kind of project he will thrive in, because their first target will be securing CL football and we know he can achieve that level. After that target is reached he will be found wanting again.

I firmly believe and cannot forgive some of his decisions around the CL final which without a shadow of a doubt cost us that game. Liverpool were there for the taking that day.
When your manager is coming out with bizarre comments about leaving the club if we win the CL because there will be nothing more to achieve, well, that just looked a small man in a big job to me.
Rushing a half fit Kane back in and dropping the man who won us the semi final. Again, poor decision making.
Poch just could not finish the deal.
Also when I found out about his obsession with some weird superstitions and a belief in universal positive energy and fate. It just kind of completed the man for me and highlighted his short comings at the highest level.

It's unfair to draw a comparison with Martin Jol who did not have a squad with these players in their prime; Kane, Dele, Son, Toby, Jan, Dembele, Rose, Eriksen, Lloris, pre-injury Wanyama. That core of players right there was too good not to win a trophy of some sort and there is only one person you can level that at.
The expectation levels at Spurs were a lot lower under MJ's tenure.

I just don't get this fawning over the man. He is gone, he isn't coming back anytime soon.

Can we not focus on the here and now and trying to win some trophies with this squad before it inevitably gets dismantled rather than pining over Poch?

Sorry didn't realise spurs have never won any trophies. I don't act like spurs are bournmouth mate and are happy just to compete. When I see a squad as good as as everyone else in the top 6 and them all win trophies and we fail to I will not class our manager as a success
Our squad isn't good as anyone else in top 6. We were almost there for two seasons where Leicester and Chelsea were phenomenal. We reached CL final. We are playing CL for years now.

That's success. End of story.

Our squad isn't good as anyone else in top 6. We were almost there for two seasons where Leicester and Chelsea were phenomenal. We reached CL final. We are playing CL for years now.

That's success. End of story.
So 2016/17 and 2017/18 our team and squad wasn't as good as anybody else in the top 6? And wasn't able to win a cup competition? Ok then I'll leave it there

Back
Top Bottom