Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We used to mock Woolwich because top 4 was their everything.

Now people hanging off Poch's arse hairs because he delivered us consistent top 4.....
but that’s what we wanted regular top four fans wanted it Levy wanted it we achieved it but that didn’t last long with being satisfied with just that we want/wanted more! we are limited in what we can achieve for various reasons but what seems to be forgotten we’ve never been consistent in winning things other than the 60s for most of the decade and early 80s we’ve just played a support act semi-finals, losing finals great players that don’t hang around long, we get talked about being good could be great blah, blah it won’t change we will continue to be Tottenham hotspur fc it’s the way it is.

Managers returning is always a disaster. I love the guy but he's in the past now.

I'll be honestly surprised if he goes to Newcastle. Yes they suddenly have loads of money but that's still a long rebuild process, which will be difficult in the COVID world. It took Man City years to become consistent even with their oil billions.

I thought he was going to cash in on the reputation he built here and go for an elite-level club. Newcastle has clusterfuck written all over it and he could end up no longer being considered potentially world class very quickly.

but that’s what we wanted regular top four fans wanted it Levy wanted it we achieved it but that didn’t last long with being satisfied with just that we want/wanted more! we are limited in what we can achieve for various reasons but what seems to be forgotten we’ve never been consistent in winning things other than the 60s for most of the decade and early 80s we’ve just played a support act semi-finals, losing finals great players that don’t hang around long, we get talked about being good could be great blah, blah it won’t change we will continue to be Tottenham hotspur fc it’s the way it is.
Sadly, everything you've said is true.

Of course, it doesn't stop us wanting more.

Look it was great for a while making champions league but now we have to aim higher than that.

We have the best Stadium and training facilities in the world
We have a manager who is a proven winner
We have two attackers in Kane and Son who would grace any team in world football.

If Leicester can win a title with the squad they had then we have no excuses but to set our sights high.

For me we are two top drawer fullbacks, and a DM away from a title challenging side.

We were better than Liverpool two seasons ago, they added a keeper and a centre back. And look at the difference it made!

The culture has to change and it starts with the fans, otherwise why did we even bother with the new stadium? could have just stayed as plucky little Spurs, happy to make top 4 in WHL.

Sadly, everything you've said is true.

Of course, it doesn't stop us wanting more.
Hey I’d have loved us to win the CL we could have dined out on that forever but we were lucky as fuck to even get there no to mention winning the thing and yes we got a taste of what it’s like to be in that position and of course you want to taste it again but we as a club it doesn’t work like that unfortunately but I don’t grudge our fan base craving success the younger ones they see their mates who support other teams City, Chelsea’ etc and they want that feeling of winning! I’m older I know what to expect and I’m not disappointed :thumbdown:

Hey I’d have loved us to win the CL we could have dined out on that forever but we were lucky as fuck to even get there no to mention winning the thing and yes we got a taste of what it’s like to be in that position and of course you want to taste it again but we as a club it doesn’t work like that unfortunately but I don’t grudge our fan base craving success the younger ones they see their mates who support other teams City, Chelsea’ etc and they want that feeling of winning! I’m older I know what to expect and I’m not disappointed :thumbdown:

and that right there is the culture we need to change.

I saw a lot of shit during Sugar's reign, back then we were no better than West Ham.
But look at the improvements we've made since then in every aspect of the club.
As a club we either aim high or amount to fuck all

I get your point.
I guess I agree with you, it is what it is, and no amount of grumbling from us will change it.
That's not to say anyone is "happy" with how things are.

The counter argument is that we are a big club and we shouldn't be happy to accept top 4 only and that everyone involved in the club should be wanting more.

We all do want more, obviously, it's how we get it and who's to blame is the issue.

I recently watched the Sunderland til I die series on Netflix, well worth a watch imo.

One of the things it really illustrated to me is how when a club gets into a downward spiral, and the bigger the club the harder it is to course correct and turn a big ship round.
The entire culture of the club has to change and fans have a massive part to play in that.

We spent more than a decade in the footballing wilderness while clubs like Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Woolwich were in the Champions league we were floundering with the likes of West Ham in mid table.
they had a massive financial head start on that.

But I think we got the ship turned very slowly through small steps; Jol, then Redknapp, then Poch. Selling our best players, re-investing, rinse and repeat. Until we find ourselves where we are today.

We can't stop now we need to get that positivity back

We need to back Jose, get behind the players and start believing again, not pining over Poch.

that show really illustrated how important a fanbase is and how if everybody at a club pulls in the same direction you can make changes.
It also illustrated how damaging apathy and a toxic atmosphere are to a football club.
People in the game know this, which is why you get Jurgen Klopp for example coming out and telling the fans to believe.

Downfall? We had finished between 4th and 6th for the previous 5 seasons so he hardly worked miracles. Jesus listening to some fans you'd think we were consistently battling relegation before pochettino came along

No it's not.
But Poch came in period when we were in downfall and eventually he made us consistent CL club.
We measure succes bay context od the club, the time manager came in etc.

Joined a club that finished 6th the season before, 4th, 5th and 4th the season before that.

Left the club with us 14th in the league.

To put things into context we are the only top 6 club not to won anything during his tenure:

Man City 2 x PL titles, 3 league cups, 1 FA Cup

Chelsea 2 x PL titles, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 1 UEFA Cup

Manchester United 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 1 UEFA Cup

Woolwich 2 FA Cups

Liverpool 1 x CL , 1 PL title

Tottenham 0

This despite having a better team than most of those sides during that time but as always it's not his fault.

Also can we please with stop with this 2 trophies in the PL era nonsense as if this shouldn't be an expectation.

We have had a team good enough since 2005 with the best coming in the last 5 years. In that time us and Schalke are the only side not to have won anything who make up the 15 richest clubs in Europe.

We are the only club in the top 10 who hasn't won anything in the last decade.

I really do not understand this attempt to create poor little Spurs mindset in order to elevate Pochettinho into a position that he doesn't deserve to hold.

Joined a club that finished 6th the season before, 4th, 5th and 4th the season before that.

Left the club with us 14th in the league.

To put things into context we are the only top 6 club not to won anything during his tenure:

Man City 2 x PL titles, 3 league cups, 1 FA Cup

Chelsea 2 x PL titles, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 1 UEFA Cup

Manchester United 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 1 UEFA Cup

Woolwich 2 FA Cups

Liverpool 1 x CL , 1 PL title

Tottenham 0

This despite having a better team than most of those sides during that time but as always it's not his fault.

Also can we please with stop with this 2 trophies in the PL era nonsense as if this shouldn't be an expectation.

We have had a team good enough since 2005 with the best coming in the last 5 years. In that time us and Schalke are the only side not to have won anything who make up the 15 richest clubs in Europe.

We are the only club in the top 10 who hasn't won anything in the last decade.

I really do not understand this attempt to create poor little Spurs mindset in order to elevate Pochettinho into a position that he doesn't deserve to hold.
I said his time at Spurs was success.
He's not the only one to blame for not winning trophies, although he has his own mistakes.

Regardles, he's not perfect, but he was success for us. Stop with agenda his time at Spurs wasn't good enough or that his time here wasn't the best period in God knows gow many years.

Give him credit and move on. Don't be little rat like most Woolwich fans are about Wenger.

I said his time at Spurs was success.
He's not the only one to blame for not winning trophies, although he has his own mistakes.

Regardles, he's not perfect, but he was success for us. Stop with agenda his time at Spurs wasn't good enough or that his time here wasn't the best period in God knows gow many years.

Give him credit and move on. Don't be little rat like most Woolwich fans are about Wenger.

Why would I give credit to what I believe is the primary cause for the what I posted before? If a team that should have trophies doesn’t it what way was he successful?

And no Woolwich supporters say the same about Wenger - he won 3 league titles and 7 FA cups. In what possible way is the comparable?

Why would I give credit to what I believe is the primary cause for the what I posted before? If a team that should have trophies doesn’t it what way was he successful?

And no Woolwich supporters say the same about Wenger - he won 3 league titles and 7 FA cups. In what possible way is the comparable?
Thank God you're minority.

Downfall? We had finished between 4th and 6th for the previous 5 seasons so he hardly worked miracles. Jesus listening to some fans you'd think we were consistently battling relegation before pochettino came along

Don't act like we weren't a mess with AVB and Sherwood later. The atmosphere around club wasn't good.
Poch came in: 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th +Cl final.

It's not similar to barely getting top 4, is it?

Just give gim credit and don't act like he was a failure.

Don't act like we weren't a mess with AVB and Sherwood later. The atmosphere around club wasn't good.
Poch came in: 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th +Cl final.

It's not similar to barely getting top 4, is it?

Just give gim credit and don't act like he was a failure.
He had a team that was better then most of the top 6 for 2/3 years and won nothing while they all won something. He made ridiculous tactical and player decisions in massive games and never learnt from each major semi final defeat to make sure it didn't happen again.
So for me he failed he is a slight improvement on avb,redknapp and jol that is all. He isn't elite and you will see that at his next job

He had a team that was better then most of the top 6 for 2/3 years and won nothing while they all won something. He made ridiculous tactical and player decisions in massive games and never learnt from each major semi final defeat to make sure it didn't happen again.
So for me he failed he is a slight improvement on avb,redknapp and jol that is all. He isn't elite and you will see that at his next job
Where did I say he's elite?
Okay, we'll see. But if he does win at other place, that's just hurr even more. Nevermind.

Back
Top Bottom