Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lots of thought into this but within it all you really do overestimate Pochettino's appeal.

Invariably winners are attractive and as a result Pochettino is now or currently a 2nd and 3rd rate option for nearly all those clubs if not further down the line.

The fact that Juventus appointed a first time manager in Pirlo and Barcelona went for Koeman probably tells you all you need to know about how Poch is thought of by the elite clubs at the moment.

More realistic that he'll go to an equivalent sized club to us (or an underacheiving one) in another league.

Poch taking the Barca job is not a good idea for him. Forget the comments he has made, they are a disaster of a club. It is possible that the board goes and they make some smart moves to get on the righttrack again, but the fans will have no room for patience. It is a time bomb of a job for him.
I think it's still better option than the Madrid job which is nuts

I think it's still better option than the Madrid job which is nuts
Both of them are nuts. Real at the very least are attempting to shift in a new generation with their young Brazilians, Mendy, Ödegaard etc. But the politics and expectations are as you said, nuts.

Barca are not only nuts, but like Juventus stubbornly refusing to move forward from their golden generation of talent and player power runs rampant.

Barca's backroom brass also seem almost incompetent when compared to Madrid's. At Madrid he would have immense pressure on himself, but the backroom people at least know what they are doing and what the plan is going forward. Barca are stuck in the short termist "buy a big name every window and the fans are happy" mindset.

The fact that Juventus appointed a first time manager in Pirlo and Barcelona went for Koeman probably tells you all you need to know about how Poch is thought of by the elite clubs at the moment.

More realistic that he'll go to an equivalent sized club to us (or an underacheiving one) in another league.

Probably end up at Ajax!! :levywhoa:

He should go to Roma, Barca are in a free fall and if\when they don't win trophies next season it will crush him. Roma has a good core and with some discipline they could challenge Juventus properly

He should go to Roma, Barca are in a free fall and if\when they don't win trophies next season it will crush him. Roma has a good core and with some discipline they could challenge Juventus properly
Seems like a lateral move to me - he could recreate his Spurs successes at Roma, but will likely repeat his Spurs failures as well. He, reportedly, passed up a chance at a top European power once for a "project" and ended falling short. He also looked like he'd run out of energy for it at the end.

Really doubt he's much interested in jumping back into the same situation again.

PSG lads.
Odious club. Despite his history there, Poch would be well served to steer clear of them as well. They sack everyone for falling short of winning the Champ's League, and he's got the same issues with player power and egos in that dressing room. How will Neymar react when Poch rolls up and says the players are paid to train?

Odious club. Despite his history there, Poch would be well served to steer clear of them as well. They sack everyone for falling short of winning the Champ's League, and he's got the same issues with player power and egos in that dressing room. How will Neymar react when Poch rolls up and says the players are paid to train?
They sack everyone for falling short of winning the CL and they are right to do it. They have top 3 team in the Europe, yet, they never been this close.

Hopefully, Leipzig can do the job. Tuchel get fired and Poch comes in.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the big European clubs have decided Poch has not yet done enough to warrant being given the reins of their teams. Reportedly demanding a salary of £8m and only a CL final as his CV 'claim to fame' has obviously done nothing to attract the big boys so far.
Maybe he needs to just lower his sights a little and seek trophy/title success somewhere else other than Barca / RM/ Juventus etc.
Otherwise he runs the risk of sinking into the mists of time and disappearing into a cloud of "whatever happened to ?".
So has he over estimated himself and his 'marketability' ? I think so.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the big European clubs have decided Poch has not yet done enough to warrant being given the reins of their teams. Reportedly demanding a salary of £8m and only a CL final as his CV 'claim to fame' has obviously done nothing to attract the big boys so far.
Maybe he needs to just lower his sights a little and seek trophy/title success somewhere else other than Barca / RM/ Juventus etc.
Otherwise he runs the risk of sinking into the mists of time and disappearing into a cloud of "whatever happened to ?".

I don't think he's ready for the Barca / Real / Man Utd / Bayern tier yet.

Feels like a Sevilla / Roma / Atletico / Dortmund / Leipzig level manager atm.

It wasn’t just him it’s most of our supporters as well

Absolutely, totally agree. I think someone like Simeone deserves a step up and somewhere like Atletico would be the perfect next step for Poch to prove if he has what it takes.

That is the same level as us - if he cannot do it with Kane, Son, Dembele,Loris etc he isn’t going to do it at A. Madrid, Dortmund or any other club of that standing. We will be his career highlight just like Jol and Redknapp before.

That is the same level as us - if he cannot do it with Kane, Son, Dembele,Loris etc he isn’t going to do it at A. Madrid, Dortmund or any other club of that standing. We will be his career highlight just like Jol and Redknapp before.
So where do you see him next,realistically ? or are you saying he will go somewhere like that and fail ?

Last edited:
So where do you see him next, realistically ?

God knows - his best bet is United if Ole starts badly. If he gets desperate most likely Roma which would be a silly choice for him.

What I do know is that a manager whose entering his 50s and hasn’t become an elite manager by then will never be that.

He is just another Bielsa - all hype, little substance

God knows - his best bet is United if Ole starts badly. If he gets desperate most likely Roma which would be a silly choice for him.

What I do know is that a manager whose entering his 50s and hasn’t become an elite manager by then will never be that.

He is just another Bielsa - all hype, little substance
Just checked on PaddyPower and Poch is 3/1 favourite to be the next Man Utd manager , Allegri 7/1, Nagelsmann 25/1

The only two big teams that have changed their managers since Poch was sacked are Barca and Juve. And both of their squad are the exact opposite of a Poch squad. If we can see that, I'm sure the people in charge of selecting managers for those clubs can see it too.

I think PSG or Madrid would've gone for him if they were in the market looking for a manager but looks like Zidane winning the league without Ronaldo and PSG doing well in the CL means Poch will have to wait a little longer for his mega job. Solskjaer could also get the sack if United don't win as many penalties as last season to carry them through the season and they'll probably jump at the chance to get Poch.

Back
Top Bottom