Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know what your point is.... You're ignoring my rebuttal..... You don't think Poch is further up the totem pole than in 2014? If you do then, why compare to then?
I didn't bother to answer it because I didn't understand what it had to do with Man U 2020/Spurs 2014.

Answer: Yes he's stock is far higher! He's arguably in the top 10 of Mangers in World Football.

I didn't bother to answer it because I didn't understand what it had to do with Man U 2020/Spurs 2014.

Answer: Yes he's stock is far higher! He's arguably in the top 10 of Mangers in World Football.

You didn't understand?????

The point is simple enough. Comparing his job opportunities then to now (or similarly Spurs 2014 to Utd 2020) is pretty hollow when attempting to establish whether or not the Utd job is currently a good fit for him....

....You offer him Utd in 2014 he'd rip your hand off; now it's "hmmmmm should I wait for RM or City".

It seems like our natural path was to be where we are now and Poch has nothing to do with it. Alright then.

No - you don’t acquire a team with Kane, Son Vertonghen, Lloris Eriksen etc at their prime by chance. We have the structure to account for that. Poch is always accredited for building that sides when in fact he had little to do with it,

Manuel Pellegreni won the league at City but was terrible at West Ham. Same manager different resources.

You have to look past the talent of a squad and see what the manager adds to the fold and he failed to win anything with one of the best sides in the league. We were the only top 6 club to do that when inferior sides won multiple trophies.

Pochettinho was always the weak link in the chain and it’s still some can’t see that.

You didn't understand?????

The point is simple enough. Comparing his job opportunities then to now (or similarly Spurs 2014 to Utd 2020) is pretty hollow when attempting to establish whether or not the Utd job is currently a good fit for him....

....You offer him Utd in 2014 he'd rip your hand off; now it's "hmmmmm should I wait for RM or City".
But I'm not trying to make that point nor have I even attempted to. It's why I didn't bother to answer your question in the first place as I thought it was away from the topic.

Anyway, in a previous post further back I've already stated that Utd. are way down the pecking order of the other clubs he's supposed to be linked with (PSG, City, Barca, Madrid). But it would appear on the face of things that it's Utd that is the Club with the urgent need to flip their manager. If Utd act NOW then they stand to get him, because the possibility of those other teams changing mangers NOW might not be on realistic.

If Utd wait then those other clubs might become actively recruiting a new manager, then Utd aren't as attractive.

But with those clubs not actively recruiting and if Utd are, then Utd would be at the top of his list (just as it would most other managers in his calibre, just as it was with Jose). This is because they are in the top 3 of the largest football clubs in the World, even though they are in a mess. But I think that the mess is predominantly down to OGS, he's completly out of his depth.

Last edited:
No - you don’t acquire a team with Kane, Son Vertonghen, Lloris Eriksen etc at their prime by chance. We have the structure to account for that. Poch is always accredited for building that sides when in fact he had little to do with it,

Manuel Pellegreni won the league at City but was terrible at West Ham. Same manager different resources.

You have to look past the talent of a squad and see what the manager adds to the fold and he failed to win anything with one of the best sides in the league. We were the only top 6 club to do that when inferior sides won multiple trophies.

Pochettinho was always the weak link in the chain and it’s still some can’t see that.
Lol

What was Kane when Poch arrived?

You thought Kane and Son will become what they are now? Don't be silly.

You named 5 players in Poch's 6 years. Pathetic.

Cannot believe someone is saying Poch was weak link. And he's Spurs fan lol.

He maybe isn't the guy who led us to trophies, but he gave us good 6 years and he deserves credit foe what he did.

Lol

What was Kane when Poch arrived?

You thought Kane and Son will become what they are now? Don't be silly.

You named 5 players in Poch's 6 years. Pathetic.

Cannot believe someone is saying Poch was weak link. And he's Spurs fan lol.

He maybe isn't the guy who led us to trophies, but he gave us good 6 years and he deserves credit foe what he did.

What was Janssen when he arrived? You’re basically saying with Pochettinho he wouldn’t have become the player he did. Well why didn’t that work with Janssen? Or Nije or any our youngsters that didn’t make the grade.

Again he had extremely talent players/ prospects given to him. The moment that team matured he got badly exposed and sacked.

And I can name more than that - the team in 2016/17 was the best in the league. Won absolutely nothing. It is like having the best car in F1 and winning nothing with it and then trying to argue that was a success because the other teams have bigger budgets and that he was responsible for that car in the first place

I was quite clearly speaking with context to revenue of the recognised top six (also see my previous post), us being the 6th. There was a MASSIVE Cassim between us and the others. In fact, I made NO reference to League position. The context is about the "state" of the club in 2014 compared to the "state" of Man U TODAY.

Man U €424m
City €316m
Cavs €303m
Wol €284
Liv €240
-----------
Spurs €172m

That's an €80m less than 5th highest revenue producer €100m!!! less than Woolwich!!

Chrystal Palace's revenue (who had only just come up from the Champ) was €114m, a difference of €58m from our revenues!

I didn't see any comment on wealth in the post I responded to, but given the natural want of football fans and what they want to spend money on I did summarise the players Poch inherited who included 8 or 9 of his first choice 11 for much of his reign.

Poch was not one to rotate (if anything running players into the ground) so other than Son (the result of his agent trying to find a club willing to release Son for the Asian Games which if he won he got exemption from conscription) and Alderweireld, I'm not sure Poch bought any other first team players.

But Poch was also fully aware the stadium was going to be built, and had contractors not screwed up the wiring etc, he'd have had 2 years of New stadium income taking him into 3rd position in revenue terms : in fact when at Wembley for a full season Spurs were only a smidgeon behind 5 th place in revenue terms and even only playing CL at Wembley, gave a significant increase in revenue (and indeed prestige to draw players to Spurs, give club far more visibility/marketing opportunities.)

So in terms of revenues, for half Poch's reign at Spurs he was certainly not 'miles and miles' away from 5th place in terms of revenues.

Moving on to ManU, its a curate's egg of a position, in that its squad has some decent players in, and arguably other than its defence is not too far away from the standard he inherited at Spurs. And it still has far greater revenues than Spurs ever has had. Problem is Poch has not proved to be great at signing players at Spurs, so would he be any better at Man U

What was Janssen when he arrived? You’re basically saying with Pochettinho he wouldn’t have become the player he did. Well why didn’t that work with Janssen? Or Nije or any our youngsters that didn’t make the grade.

Again he had extremely talent players/ prospects given to him. The moment that team matured he got badly exposed and sacked.

And I can name more than that - the team in 2016/17 was the best in the league. Won absolutely nothing. It is like having the best car in F1 and winning nothing with it and then trying to argue that was a success because the other teams have bigger budgets and that he was responsible for that car in the first place
Try reading better.
I sad he has flaws previously and obviously ins't the man to win us trophies, but he deserves credit for 6 years where we have been top 4.

We were in CL Final first time ever.

It's like if you have good players, coaching them means nothing. That's what you are basically saying.

Success overall because we built the fucking 1B£ stadium and gone for CL every time.
You can moan about him as long as you like, but thank fuck you and others with that opinion are minority in our fanbase.

I didn't see any comment on wealth in the post I responded to, but given the natural want of football fans and what they want to spend money on I did summarise the players Poch inherited who included 8 or 9 of his first choice 11 for much of his reign.

Poch was not one to rotate (if anything running players into the ground) so other than Son (the result of his agent trying to find a club willing to release Son for the Asian Games which if he won he got exemption from conscription) and Alderweireld, I'm not sure Poch bought any other first team players.

But Poch was also fully aware the stadium was going to be built, and had contractors not screwed up the wiring etc, he'd have had 2 years of New stadium income taking him into 3rd position in revenue terms : in fact when at Wembley for a full season Spurs were only a smidgeon behind 5 th place in revenue terms and even only playing CL at Wembley, gave a significant increase in revenue (and indeed prestige to draw players to Spurs, give club far more visibility/marketing opportunities.)

So in terms of revenues, for half Poch's reign at Spurs he was certainly not 'miles and miles' away from 5th place in terms of revenues.

Moving on to ManU, its a curate's egg of a position, in that its squad has some decent players in, and arguably other than its defence is not too far away from the standard he inherited at Spurs. And it still has far greater revenues than Spurs ever has had. Problem is Poch has not proved to be great at signing players at Spurs, so would he be any better at Man U
None of which I was even debating.

Man U regardless of their current problems (of which I largely say is down to OGS, but obviously not exclusively) they remain one of the top three biggest clubs in world football, the right manager would fancy themselves to be successful at this club with their resources.

If they are the only club in for him NOW then it's a no brainer. If other clubs (those mentioned previously are also ready to dump their current manager, then there are more appealing clubs to choose from (assuming that this scenario exists).

It’s why Jose went there after all. In fact even when he came here many of his ”supporters” thought Spurs wasn't big enough club for him (something I disagree with) and this was us having got to a CL final, a top 4 finish including a 3rd, 2nd, 3rd.

Back to the point that I was making and everyone is ignoring. Spurs 2014 was a far less a proposition for a manager than being Man U manager today in 2020 (there are better options today for a manager than Man U, those mentioned plus maybe even us now but would have to factor out impact of COVID as our new growth was largely maximizing the stadiums commercial viability which is now n/a BUT the assumption here is if there was actually a choice to be made that includes all of them. If it is ONLY Utd that are looking to make their way interest concrete, then it's a no brainer).

Last edited:
Take their best players... Stop wasting cash on the wrong players..... Why not?

Think what you like of him; he's a vast upgrade on The Hobbit.

I don't know if Utd have the hungry squad he inherited at both here and Southampton, that's all I wonder.

Poch inherited Vertonghen, Kane, Lloris, Dembele, Rose, Walker etc. Who are all some of the best players in their position in the league over the last decade.

Poch is definitely a better coach than Solskjaer. But so are Van Gaal and Moyes.

I don't know if Utd have the hungry squad he inherited at both here and Southampton, that's all I wonder.

Poch inherited Vertonghen, Kane, Lloris, Dembele, Rose, Walker etc. Who are all some of the best players in their position in the league over the last decade.

Poch is definitely a better coach than Solskjaer. But so are Van Gaal and Moyes.

I think you gotta attribute some of that hunger to Poch, tbf....

The likes of Jan, Dembele & Hugo were in a slump post AVB/Timmy and we had our own troublesome deadwood to to get rid of.

Moyes: IMO he shrank in the face of the scale of the club... Also fucked around by Rio & some of the old guard.

I think your wrong I think just like Jose did he would win things with that squad right now. Ole is useless. But the youth team is producing good prospects that Poch would polish. Pogaba gets binned but the reality is he could get them competing any decent coach could.

Well since Mou left Yanited, they also have improved their squad quite a lot actually.

They brought in Maguire, Fernandes and AWB. All of them are nailed on starters.
During the same time they have let go Lukaku (who was not in Ole's plans) and Herrera.
Now during last window they also added Cavani, Telles and van de Beek.

I'd say that squad of now has much more quality that Mou had at his disposal during his time.

But despite that I do not believe that Poch would get them silverware.

When Poch arrived Rose, Walker and Dembele where playing awful, fans where talking about selling them, Kane was doing ok but he would under any manager. The squad was a total mess, there seems to be some strange view that he inherited a great squad, it was good in parts and terrible in others.

United have Martial, Shaw, AWB, Maguire, Van Beek, Fernandes, Greenwood, Rashford players who performed brilliantly at their former clubs or in the case of Greenwood and Rashford are good talents. They have on paper at least as strong a team as Poch inherited with us. The issue with United is that the board always undermines their own manager such as backing the players first ie Pogba with Mourinho. If Poch is given clear control and proper backing he will do well I feel.

The premier league is far stronger than 5-6 years ago, you can’t simply be good and win things, you have to be either outstanding as Liverpool last season or good and be very lucky.

City however would be a better choice for Poch as he would get the players he wants and a better board in general. There are two clubs in the prem where players go and decline, United and Woolwich and in both cases they have terrible culture that stems from the top and leaves the manager with his pants down.

Back
Top Bottom