Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You can be pissed off with how it ended and still realise how good we had it with Poch (compared to pretty much everyone else whose managed us in modern times...).

I literally said in a previous post I was clearly disappointed with how it ended...

I stand by everything I said - end of discussion.
The bolded part is key for me, the poster you were arguing with posed the question "what glory?" and the only answer you can give to that really is that it was relative glory.

It was definitely my favourite period of supporting Spurs (since the mid-90's), it looked like we were going places and that winning things would certainly come at some point, but then it just fizzled out.

To me his stint here was a high point in my Spurs supporting life, but I wouldn't call it glory, I'd also be wary of getting him back and expecting the same level of enjoyment, as some of the key contributors to his success were down the chance and/or fortunate timing.

Then again, this is probably all irrelevant as I think it all stems from someone just using "former glory" as a turn of phrase rather than literally.

The bolded part is key for me, the poster you were arguing with posed the question "what glory?" and the only answer you can give to that really is that it was relative glory.

It was definitely my favourite period of supporting Spurs (since the mid-90's), it looked like we were going places and that winning things would certainly come at some point, but then it just fizzled out.

To me his stint here was a high point in my Spurs supporting life, but I wouldn't call it glory, I'd also be wary of getting him back and expecting the same level of enjoyment, as some of the key contributors to his success were down the chance and/or fortunate timing.

Then again, this is probably all irrelevant as I think it all stems from someone just using "former glory" as a turn of phrase rather than literally.

See. I think that's a bit disrespectful - it's also mainly opinion, not fact. Also I'd argue that ANY successfull manager in the PL would have to have an element of luck.

I don't think it's unfair to be 'relative' in regards to the use of 'glory'. I've supported spurs since I was about 6/7 so from 1990 - so seen us win 1 FA Cup and 2 League Cups...therefore as far as I'm concerned, reaching the final of the champions league does count as glory!

Now I'm sure there's some older chaps and chapesses on here who've supported spurs longer and had the fortune to see us win more...but I'm not in that group.

Meh, to each his own. :)

Since early 70s and seen glory in early 80s. But the Poch years allowed me to get in the face of gooners/spammers/chavs and I’ll take that as glory.
some of the football under a Poch took it to another level.

If people think a league or fa cup are more impressive than top 2-3 league finishes and a CL final, they are not thinking logically.

domestic cups are just 5-6 game crapshoots many of which are played against inferior competition. League is a 38 game sample and the CL is an actually competitive 13 game competitions, unlike the domestic cups.

It’s cool to brag about a league or FA cup win, but it’s not an indicator of a good team like league play and CL is.

See. I think that's a bit disrespectful - it's also mainly opinion, not fact. Also I'd argue that ANY successfull manager in the PL would have to have an element of luck.

I don't think it's unfair to be 'relative' in regards to the use of 'glory'. I've supported spurs since I was about 6/7 so from 1990 - so seen us win 1 FA Cup and 2 League Cups...therefore as far as I'm concerned, reaching the final of the champions league does count as glory!

Now I'm sure there's some older chaps and chapesses on here who've supported spurs longer and had the fortune to see us win more...but I'm not in that group.

Meh, to each his own. :)
True, but it still leaves me with pause for thought at the prospect of Poch coming back one day.

How much could we expect him to replicate the first stint without a Harry Kane coming from the academy, a Mousa Dembele awakening from dormancy to elevate our midfield.

We saw for example that once Dembele was a spent force the wheels all but fell off, and Poch's solutions included Sissoko, and then Ndombele. Now how much those decisions were down to solely Poch is open to debate, I'd just be dubious that bringing him back would see a similar level of success as first time.

I'm not even saying he'd be a bad choice, just that there are question marks.

Close. The level of football from Poch was so fucking good at times.
under Keith, Hoddle, taking football into an art from.
I think under Poch I was at an age to appreciate it more. And at an age to give it more to non believers.

True, but it still leaves me with pause for thought at the prospect of Poch coming back one day.

How much could we expect him to replicate the first stint without a Harry Kane coming from the academy, a Mousa Dembele awakening from dormancy to elevate our midfield.

We saw for example that once Dembele was a spent force the wheels all but fell off, and Poch's solutions included Sissoko, and then Ndombele. Now how much those decisions were down to solely Poch is open to debate, I'd just be dubious that bringing him back would see a similar level of success as first time.

I'm not even saying he'd be a bad choice, just that there are question marks.

2 key components for any Poch return IMO:

- A quality DOF already full integrated and allowed to retain authority in that area.
- ALL the players from Poch's last stint gone..... Kane, Hugo, Sonny, the lot.... 100% clean slate.

Both of which are a few years away yet.

2 key components for any Poch return IMO:

- A quality DOF already full integrated and allowed to retain authority in that area.
- ALL the players from Poch's last stint gone..... Kane, Hugo, Sonny, the lot.... 100% clean slate.

Both of which are a few years away yet.
Agree on the first point, not necessarily the second. Players from Poch's first stint are already on their way out. Only the last stragglers remain.

What's wrong with this argument is that you're both right and you are both wrong. The truth was in the middle. The Poch years were an objective joy. But he made a massive mistake in not throwing that team at a serious attempt to win an FA cup. It would not only have been a reward to us the fans but it would have cemented belife in his methods and project with everyone from Kyle Walker to Christian Eriksen. An FA cup in them first 15 months IMHO sees us win the title and possibly a ECL. That Pochettino did not see this is to his massive detriment.

I have conflicting feelings about that time. We definitely deserved to win something - we didn’t. But did we just lack that extra bit of quality and experience?

For instance we reached a domestic final in Poch’s first season v Chelsea. Our first choice midfielders were Ryan Mason and Nabil Bentaleb. Harry Kane up front. 23, 20 and 21 years old.

Eric Dier in defence. 21.
Eriksen and Townsend both played in the final - 23 at the time.
That’s half the team 23 or under.

Says a lot about what we were achieving with the players we had available.

And in hindsight we lost that game to the eventual league winners who finished having only lost 3 league games all season.

Agree on the first point, not necessarily the second. Players from Poch's first stint are already on their way out. Only the last stragglers remain.

Hugo,
Sanchez,
Dier,
Davies,
Winks,
Lucas,
Son,
Kane
Ndombele/Sess/GLC
CCV
+ Skipp (I'll make an exception for him as young enough to be considered part of the future)

Hugo,
Sanchez,
Dier,
Davies,
Winks,
Lucas,
Son,
Kane
Ndombele/Sess/GLC
CCV
+ Skipp (I'll make an exception for him as young enough to be considered part of the future)
Sanchez already replaced by Romero. Will most likely be shipped out.

Winks on the way out.

Lucas should be out in the summer too.

Ndom,GLC already sidelined, GLC will likely be sold in the summer too.

CCV pretty much guaranteed to be sold to Celtic.

Hugo, Kane, Son, Dele and Dier are the only ones likely have a meaningful role next season.

Winks on the way out.

Hugo, Kane, Son, Dele and Dier are the only ones likely have a meaningful role next season.

Only when they're gone will I consider them so.

My opinion remains the same..... 100% clean slate.

Last edited:

Winks on the way out.

Dele? What?

Pochettino was a breath of fresh air and those 5 seasons were fantastic and will live long in the memory but he was flawed he made mistakes and at the end of the day we won nothing and he has to shoulder some of the blame, would I have him back yes, but at the expense of a far more experienced manager with winning pedigree, no! if we’re in a position where other options are exhausted then fine come back…..because we ain’t gonna get better than Conte not a chance, he goes we’re taking a step b@ck

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom