Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They have improved their team no doubt - only an idiot would claim otherwise.

Although they had much more ‘work’ to do than us including a new CM partnership, keeper and a CB partnership. Essentially we only needed one new addition - every other position was/is covered well, imv.

they have. its the idea that its free spending thats nonsence. with a few exceptions, the amount of money you get for the outgoing players is as important as the amount you spend.

they have. its the idea that its free spending thats nonsence. with a few exceptions, the amount of money you get for the outgoing players is as important as the amount you spend.
Agreed - only idiots chuck around those figures out of context. Which is bizare considering our net spend has always been one of the best

Whilst I agree with what you're saying - wouldn't the common response to this be "If we had spent, we may be closer than 6 points" ?
The sensible response would be.

Whilst we're doing fantastic and punching well above our weight with the squad we have, it's just plain ignorance for people to think there's no room for improvement.
As we move into the new year, with the business end of the PL and CL campaigns looming, adding some serious quality would be a massive boost to Poch and our chances of finally putting proper silverware on the table.

Last edited:
They have improved their team no doubt - only an idiot would claim otherwise.

Although they had much more ‘work’ to do than us including a new CM partnership, keeper and a CB partnership. Essentially we only needed one new addition - every other position was/is covered well, imv.
Yeah. I think people are mixing up spending big with spending money the right way.

Just spending big money is not the solution. Mourinho spent big at United and look how that went. Klopp on the other hand identified what he needed and spent money on those particular things. And that allowed him to improve his team. Torreira at the gooners is another example. Not a world record fee but Emery figured out that he needed a midfield enforcer to get more of a tune out of his squad immediately and it has paid dividends.

But that's modern football is it not? Buying the right player is not applauded unless there's a near record breaking transfer fee attached.

Yeah. I think people are mixing up spending big with spending money the right way.

Just spending big money is not the solution. Mourinho spent big at United and look how that went. Klopp on the other hand identified what he needed and spent money on those particular things. And that allowed him to improve his team. Torreira at the gooners is another example. Not a world record fee but Emery figured out that he needed a midfield enforcer to get more of a tune out of his squad immediately and it has paid dividends.

But that's modern football is it not? Buying the right player is not applauded unless there's a near record breaking transfer fee attached.
Agreed - Klopp has done very good business. You could add Geonduzzi to that list. I’ve tried really hard to dislike Emery but he seems very intelligent. Nothing like the egomaniacs Pep and Maureen.

Agreed - Klopp has done very good business. You could add Geonduzzi to that list. I’ve tried really hard to dislike Emery but he seems very intelligent. Nothing like the egomaniacs Pep and Maureen.
Agreed. Give it a few years and I am sure he will just be another detested gooner manager. But it's quite interesting to have the two north london managers be legitimate good friends off the pitch

The sensible response would be.

Whilst we're doing fantastic and punching well above our weight with the squad we have, it's just plain ignorance for people to think there's no room for improvement.
As we move into the new year, with the business end of the PL and CL campaigns looming, adding some serious quality would be a massive boost to Poch and our chances of finally putting proper silverware on the table.

Any team can be improved. Yes, even the one with Messi in it.

My point is that when will certain people say “wow! I really did underestimate this squad, and got it completely wrong in the summer. However now we are in a great position and some additions could really see us push on”

It’s never that is it, it’s always:

“Now get your checkbook out Levy you tight cunt so Poch doesn’t leave.
FFS give Eriksen and Toby what they want. Highest paid chairman yet we still need a new midfield.
Stadium is late we are a joke.”

And if it’s not that then they aren’t posting at all like Dane and that cunt Brigante who only come out after a loss.

That’s why I say the bar is always raised.
If we win then PL and get to the CL semis I TRULY believe there will be people saying “If we signed properly in January we could have won the CL too”

Don’t you find it tiring? Don’t you get bored of never being happy with the players we have?

It’s a response that anyone who slagged us off, called the season a write off and the club a joke etc has no right to say though.
None of these people were saying we’d be in the title race in 3rd at Christmas, they were saying we’d be mid table.

So they have no right talking about how we should have spent 140M on Grealish, Ndombele and Zaha to supposedly see us top of the league.

What would have seen us top (wouldn’t even need to be 6pts) was a better approach in the Woolwich game and us not shitting our pants against Liverpool and gifting them two goals.

Nothing to do with the window.

If most of these cretins had their way, Sissoko wouldn’t be here, Trippier and Davies wouldn’t be here and we’d have swapped Toby for Martial who is 10% of the player Son is.
Foyth wouldn’t be here, we’d be bedding in some 60M Eridivisie teenager and probably slagging him off for not being Maldini.
We’d have “Sess” making our flanks a little bit more like Fulhams and NDombele and Grealish doing nothing our own players can’t.

I can promise you, we could have spent 200M, have 5pts less, be in 5th joint with the two scums and all these people would be calling it progress and proof of a great window.
But here we are, and they want to demand signings for a title push.
We're an incredibly rare example of how long term quality coaching from the same management, youth promotion and consistency of squad members can bear fruit. It's no coincidence our 5 main attackers are practically telepathic.
Bournemouth seem to have done similar albeit on an even smaller budget and of course they're not at as high a level.

Last edited:
We're an incredibly rare example of how long term quality coaching from the same management, youth promotion and consistency of squad members can bare fruit. It's no coincidence our 5 main attackers are practically telepathic.
Bournemouth seem to have done similar albeit on an even smaller budget and of course they're not at as high a level.

It makes me sick that the country fell in love with Leicester, yet the media and so many fans think we are doing something wrong for daring to challenge without going into debt.

Remember all that “Wengers Kids” shit, when half the team was over 26??

But for us it’s just “arrogance” to use the academy and not spunk gazillions every window.
Fuck Kovacic we’ve got Skipp.

We have a front line that’s been dubbed the Fab Four recently, but that’s only since bigging up Spurs fits the Poch to Utd mantra.

Any team can be improved. Yes, even the one with Messi in it.

My point is that when will certain people say “wow! I really did underestimate this squad, and got it completely wrong in the summer. However now we are in a great position and some additions could really see us push on”

It’s never that is it, it’s always:

“Now get your checkbook out Levy you tight cunt so Poch doesn’t leave.
FFS give Eriksen and Toby what they want. Highest paid chairman yet we still need a new midfield.
Stadium is late we are a joke.”

And if it’s not that then they aren’t posting at all like Dane and that cunt Brigante who only come out after a loss.

That’s why I say the bar is always raised.
If we win then PL and get to the CL semis I TRULY believe there will be people saying “If we signed properly in January we could have won the CL too”

Don’t you find it tiring? Don’t you get bored of never being happy with the players we have?
Absolutely true. We're meant to be supporters and it's meant to be fun. I can't stand misery merchants.

Last edited:
...Adding Skip to that list too.

Hmmmm, academy products & making others better through coaching.... Just like the last time our academy gave us a shot in the arm when things looked rough (Harry, Mase, Bentaleb).... Fuck me, you'd almost be forgiven for thinking that was the whole point in Levy investing in such things in the first place.

I know the eternal malcontents will be hoping otherwise, but I for one hope our current ethos doesn't go flying out the window the moment we feel a bit more financially comfy after our moving in party... Sure increase the player budget but let's carry on in the same manner. Evidently it's a leveller in a game where most clubs fill there squad with merc's in hope of success.
There is also something extremely pleasing about seeing some “of our own” breaking through. A huge transfer or several would please some folk no end, but the gratification of seeing the young guns not only coming through, but making a difference, is worth more to me than some household name being paraded at huge cost, eating up wages like candy floss. Yes Ozil & Alexis - it’s your ilk I’m talking about.

I don’t think anyone is debating that Liverpool spent their £140m in Countinho money well. That pretty much enabled singing VVD and a lot of this past summer. Don’t know who Spurs would be willing to sell to bankroll 2-3 excellent players, though. We don’t want to sell our best players but want to bring in talent. There is a lot of monetary risk at the club until the stadium is done and bringing in cash flow.

I don’t think anyone is debating that Liverpool spent their £140m in Countinho money well. That pretty much enabled singing VVD and a lot of this past summer. Don’t know who Spurs would be willing to sell to bankroll 2-3 excellent players, though. We don’t want to sell our best players but want to bring in talent. There is a lot of monetary risk at the club until the stadium is done and bringing in cash flow.
You also highlight something important here. Liverpool sold a player to buy. They didn't magic up the VVD and Alison money out of nowhere. And neither will we be able to once it is time to bring in a marquee signing. Same for 99% of clubs out there. Aside from the oil state clubs and Yanited every club operates on a sell to buy basis for a lot of their major transfers.

Back
Top Bottom