Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Also, if you can bear it find the THFC twitter profile. Then find their end-of-season goal compilation with Son. Watch the goals, sound off, be happy and enjoy the football. Then watch it again, crank up the sound to full and watch it while paying special attention to the word selections and the tone of voice from the commentators for about half those Son goals, of which some are brilliant - these guys are gutted, absolutely devastated for half those goals. Not even trying to hide it.

This is true but actually pretty funny.

Bias isn't about liking or disliking.

We just happen to be, for many reasons, the leagues main antagonist.

Pro football isn't about open, fair athletic competition anymore. There have to be gripping story-lines, drama, suspense, grand tales. It's theater. A TV-show.

For our history of last-step failures, the conduct of our owners and the constant flux of starts leaving us just when ripe, we make up a brilliant antagonist. A constant antagonist. And then there are the constant media pundit selection, always with selected ex-players who absolutely hate us.

That's not even up for discussion. For proof just refer to the media coverage of us vs. Leicester during their so called fairy-tale season.

Also, if you can bear it find the THFC twitter profile. Then find their end-of-season goal compilation with Son. Watch the goals, sound off, be happy and enjoy the football. Then watch it again, crank up the sound to full and watch it while paying special attention to the word selections and the tone of voice from the commentators for about half those Son goals, of which some are brilliant - these guys are gutted, absolutely devastated for half those goals. Not even trying to hide it.

All that shit creates a backdrop story of Spurs, as a plain, old fashioned antagonist. For there to be a winner there has to be a loser too. And they genuinely want and expect us to play the part.

That's bias.
If they want a loser London team, surely the Spammers fit the bill better?

Because, you know, they’re actually shit.

If they want a loser London team, surely the Spammers fit the bill better?

Because, you know, they’re actually shit.
No one gives a shit about them cos they're not big enough. They're too shit to be the antagonist, protgonist or anything else.

Bias isn't about liking or disliking.

We just happen to be, for many reasons, the leagues main antagonist.

Pro football isn't about open, fair athletic competition anymore. There have to be gripping story-lines, drama, suspense, grand tales. It's theater. A TV-show.

For our history of last-step failures, the conduct of our owners and the constant flux of starts leaving us just when ripe, we make up a brilliant antagonist. A constant antagonist. And then there are the constant media pundit selection, always with selected ex-players who absolutely hate us.

That's not even up for discussion. For proof just refer to the media coverage of us vs. Leicester during their so called fairy-tale season.

All that shit creates a backdrop story of Spurs, as a plain, old fashioned antagonist. For there to be a winner there has to be a loser too. And they genuinely want and expect us to play the part.

That's bias.
The other aspect is the fact that we're bitter, hated and sole rival for three clubs with sizable fanbases, there's no other club like that in the country and most of Europe.

Any little stumble by Spurs is quickly pounced on by all three, so the narrative forms quickly. All three live for a game against us.

This is true but actually pretty funny.

It's all about the upward intonation, and downwards intonation...

That particular commentator (is it Peter Brackley?) has a style of his own, where he almost tries to pre-empt the goal going in, (to make him appear more knowledgeable?)
I don't know the correct terminology, but to me, it sounds like an 'up and over' delivery....

... so he's already 'up there vocally' to then 'go over' and add shit like: "We have Lift off!!!" or similar clichéd TV tripe... Does that make sense?

The first goal, whilst scored quickly, had an obvious build up that he could see happening...

Ndombele's goal took him by surprise.... He wasn't ready for it, and as such, hadn't built up to the 'pre-emptive' crescendo he so likes to overuse.... I think he was more disappointed he missed his chance to build up to the goal, so he could say: "WALLOP!" or whatever unnecessary word he uses!

No one gives a shit about them cos they're not big enough. They're too shit to be the antagonist, protgonist or anything else.
 racist?

Last edited:
It's Peter Drury...he does love his hyperbole...he does get it right occasionally...

Goal of the season by a country mile.
It had everything:
Drama: Teams level 5 minutes into added on time, with about a minute left to play.
Teamwork: Brilliant passing and movement, and patience under pressure.
And then the coup de grâce; a brilliant cross met by Kane, whose sheer determination got the ball into the net.
Yet this goal didn't even make the GOTS short list, which was full of one shot wonder goals from distance, which 9 times out 10 end high up in the stand.
There should be a alternative maybe called 'Goal of the Season for Adults', or 'The Thinking Man's Goal of the Season'.

It had everything:
Drama: Teams level 5 minutes into added on time, with about a minute left to play.
And then the coup de grâce; a brilliant cross met by Kane, whose sheer determination got the ball into the net.
Yet this goal didn't even make the GOTS short list, which was full of one shot wonder goals from distance, which 9 times out 10 end high up in the stand.
There should be a alternative maybe called 'Goal of the Season for Adults', or 'The Thinking Man's Goal of the Season'.
There was some idiot that had a youtube compilation of Conte ball goals that had a load of goals that weren't Conte ball goals by any stretch of the imagination and actually didn't include this one, the most Conte ball goal of the fucking season...

It's Peter Drury...he does love his hyperbole...he does get it right occasionally...

Yes... Peter Drury.... That's the cunt!

He has SUCH an annoying twatty 'know it all' commentary style.
... I almost prefer it when the team DON'T score, just to see where he goes with it, cos he's already peaked!! (Unless it's us, then I like to hear his disappointed back tracking, cos he didn't see it coming!)

It's a weird way of commentating, that's become more popular... It's the "I know what happens next, and will impress you with my pre disposed football knowledge"
...rather than just watch the play unfold, and COMMENT on what you see...

First rule of good commentary; don't be the 'know it all' ...just comment on what you see....

Kenneth Walstenholme nailed it in the '66 World Cup Final....

He commented that people were on the pitch, because "they thought it was all over...."
...and 'Bam' ...GOAL! "It is now...." ...without even taking a breath!
The perfect Football/commentary moment.

That's where I think the likes of Peter Drury have been trying too hard to pre-empt and copy moments like that ever since!

Last edited:
Yes... Peter Drury.... That's the cunt!

He has SUCH an annoying twatty 'know it all' commentary style.
... I almost prefer it when the team DON'T score, just to see where he goes with it, cos he's already peaked!! (Unless it's us, then I like to hear his disappointed back tracking, cos he didn't see it coming!

It's a weird way of commentating, that's become more popular... It's the "I know what happens next, and will impress you with my knowledge"
Rather than just watch the play unfold, and COMMENT on what you see...

First rule of good commentary; don't be the 'know it all' ...just comment on what you see....

Kenneth Walstenholme nailed it in the '66 World Cup Final....

He commented that people were on the pitch, because "they though it was all over...."
...and 'Bam' ...GOAL! "It is now...." Without even taking a breath! The perfect Football/commentary moment.

That's where I think the likes of Peter Drury have been trying too hard to pre-empt moments like that ever since!

You're lucky I don't bin cast you for disrespecting a legend.

It had everything:
Guaranteed shitty or the dippers scored it it would be

Nope he's the best commentator out there.
He really isn't ...
But that's just my opinion, and you have yours.

Fair play.

That's what makes football great I guess!

Isn't it a similar argument for the reading of Football results....?
Len Martin did it for years, then Tim Gudjin...

I know it's got Jimmy Savile on the clip, but he does make a good point about his delivery of the results that let you know what's coming.

It's only when they both retired, and they let just anyone have a go, that we realised what skill was needed to do it properly.

Peter Drury isn't fit to fluff John Motson's microphone!

Last edited:
He really isn't ...
But that's just my opinion, and you have yours.

Fair play.

That's what makes football great I guess!

Isn't it a similar argument for the reading of Football results....?
Len Martin did it for years, then Tim Gudjin...

I know it's got Jimmy Savile on the clip, but he does make a good point about his delivery of the results that let you know what's coming.

It's only when they both retired, and they let just anyone have a go, that we realised what skill was needed to do it properly.

Peter Drury isn't fit to fluff John Motson's microphone!

Yeah but Motson's retired.

I did say he's currently the best commentator out there not the best commentator there's ever been ;)

Yeah but Motson's retired.

I did say he's currently the best commentator out there not the best commentator there's ever been ;)
Motson may have retired, but there's still better commentators out there....

Uh-oh.... It's just occurred to me that I might be thinking of Clive Tyldsley!

Back
Top Bottom