Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The best footballer is the best footballer. It shouldn't be about what they won. It's about what the individual can do. Attributes.

Spot on.

That's how I would base it too. Which is why Cristiano Ronaldo would miss out for me. An EXCEPTIONAL goalscorer but so was Puskas. So was Muller. So was Bican. So was Eusebio.

And even then, in the modern era, there has ALWAYS been someone who's been just that little bit better than him. And that's Messi.

The only guy in world football who can score 45 goals in 50 games, win a double and come 45 minutes away from winning a league unbeaten and finish 5th in the world of best footballers. Incredible.

Last edited:
So how are the scoucers handling this news about Messi? I mean what was rigged against Virgil etc etc?

One phoned up TS tonight claiming he wouldn't take Messi as it would detract from their current front 3.

(Also claimed Messi doesn't work off the ball; before eventually conceding that he never watches La Liga.)

#NotBitter

Maradona is the best player I've ever seen.

I've never understood why some people say that Messi can not be regarded as the greatest player ever until he has won the World Cup.

It's a bullshit argument.

Pele won the World Cup three times. If he had played for San Marino, he never would have come close to winning it.

That doesn't suddenly make him a worse player.
He'd be a genius surrounded by dickheads.

Just scored to break Pele's record of most goals for a single club.

749 games
644 goals
283 assists

No one thought that record would be broken - and I don't think we'll see Messi's broken in our lifetime.

Impossible argument. One of: Messi, Ronaldo, Pele, Cruyff, Maradona, Best, Matthews, etc etc. Remember the older players had to perform on worse pitches and with less protection. I think we have recently been privileged to witness the Messi Ronaldo eras

Probably the most all round gifted, runs the midfield as well as scores goals like pele and Iniesta all in one player. So maybe yes, certainly think he is far better all round than Ronaldo.

Watched a lot of pele, great player, amazing finisher but the best player, not for me. Maradonna is closest to Messi but ruined his career to some degree, Zindane and Cruyff were amazing to watch but for all round consistent brilliance Messi is the best I have ever seen.

Last edited:
paulinho730v.jpg

Probably the most all round gifted, runs the midfield as well as scores goals like pele and Iniesta all in one player. So maybe yes, certainly think he is far better all round than Ronaldo.

Let's stop pretending, Messi has ripped apart English teams in the CL, he humiliated Woolwich for example.

All this if only Roy Keane was here etc, well Keane would have stuck his leg in, missed the ball as Messi goes round him and got himself yellow or red carded.

There is debate as to whether Maradonna, Pele are as good or better but if Messi was playing in the English league he would be the greatest ever footballer to play in this country, it's delusional to think otherwise.

Last edited:
Lot of people say that Maradona was a cheat, yet fail to acknowledge he was probably the most cheated player against to have ever played the game. He was hacked to pieces in an era when players could launch a two footed challenge and not even concede a Free Kick. You don't see Messi (who is the best player of today) have to put up with that.

Messi is football. Everything happens sample but at hight speed.
I think he lost only in National ( every time lost).
CR7 is most carismatic , like a general army.

But we don’t remember people as Iniesta...
Can't stand Ronaldo, prima donna, preening cunt. "Give me the ball cos I'm better than you" attitude.
Messi has a humility about him, and is a team player, that creates as much as he scores.
Can't be arsed to look at the stats. But even if proved wrong Ronaldo is still a cunt.

I love him. Fair play to Greasy Ron, he’s run him close and done brilliantly in the CL, but Messi is on a different level. He’s made the extraordinary seem normal.
It's a travesty that Messi has only won Ballon d'Or just the once in the last 5 years.

No surprise the 50 year old South African virgin is obsessed with wank jokes.

Get laid man..remove the lego from your arsehole

Back
Top Bottom