Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would probably have to say yes Messi is the best. He does something which probably only Maradonna did and that is be both the midfield and attack at the same time. He provides Barca with most of its creativity but also most of its goals, that is very unique. Slim Ronaldo by contrast doesn’t do the midfield job as much.

In terms of raw talent I would probably say Ronaldinho is the best ever, a lazy party boy maybe but skill level beyond what I had previous seen. If he had Slim Ronaldo’s work ethic bloody hell.

Maradona is the best player I've ever seen.

I've never understood why some people say that Messi can not be regarded as the greatest player ever until he has won the World Cup.

It's a bullshit argument.

Pele won the World Cup three times. If he had played for San Marino, he never would have come close to winning it.

That doesn't suddenly make him a worse player.
He'd be a genius surrounded by dickheads.

The guy is clearly disillusioned and unhappy with Barcelona. It would seem there will have to be drastic changes from all levels at the club if the little man is to enjoy his football there again. Could he ever leave his beloved Barca ? and more importantly would he consider playing in the Premier League ?
I have a feeling the City billionaires are reaching for their chequebooks as I write.

I'd like to see Messi play in the Premier League.

But, on the other hand, if he's as successful as I think he would be then I wouldn't want him to stay for long and raise whoever he plays for (certainly not us) to another level.

So maybe he could stay for 3 months before faxing in his transfer request.

:mourthumb:

Maradona is the best player I've ever seen.

I've never understood why some people say that Messi can not be regarded as the greatest player ever until he has won the World Cup.

It's a bullshit argument.

Pele won the World Cup three times. If he had played for San Marino, he never would have come close to winning it.

That doesn't suddenly make him a worse player.
He'd be a genius surrounded by dickheads.

For me I think Messi is the most consistently brilliant player, he is both a striker and the creative hub for a team, the only other player like that was Maradona in the ability to be both the focal point of the midfield and also attack at the same time. Pele was a great striker but I don’t feel he had the all round game of either Maradona or Messi.

I can understand people saying Maradona in that he carried Argentina and Napoli and perhaps at his peak was the best, Messi’s peak was just longer.

I will say this I have never seen a more dangerous passer than Messi and I have seen Scholes, Xavi and quite a few other top passers live. People look at Messi’s dribbling and goal scoring but it’s his passing that often impressed me the most.

Back
Top Bottom