Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To me the biggest issue is longevity here - Maradona was incredible and on his day possibly the greatest ever, but the strength of his career was more brief and most of that is down to himself.

Messi has been 1a or 1b in the world for 15 years. That puts him over, in my mind.

For my money, Messi probably is the greatest ever. And its only recently I've come around to that opinion. But the sheer volume of his greatness is hard to contend with.
Agree, Maradona certainly had his demons, but if you are going on longevity, then Pele has to be the best of all time ;)

Maradona is the best player I've ever seen.

I've never understood why some people say that Messi can not be regarded as the greatest player ever until he has won the World Cup.

It's a bullshit argument.

Pele won the World Cup three times. If he had played for San Marino, he never would have come close to winning it.

That doesn't suddenly make him a worse player.
He'd be a genius surrounded by dickheads.
Well if Maradona played in the argentina teams which Messi played in or if he played in Barcelona teams that Messi played in, its likely they would have won more.

Even if Slim Ronaldo had played in the Barcelona teams when xavi and iniesta and all were ruling the world they would probably win more.

Well if Maradona played in the argentina teams which Messi played in or if he played in Barcelona teams that Messi played in, its likely they would have won more.

Even if Slim Ronaldo had played in the Barcelona teams when xavi and iniesta and all were ruling the world they would probably win more.

Well, yeah... Any team will be better with Maradona and Ronaldo in the starting lineup so I'm not really sure what your point is.

:sonhmm:

That you cant blame all of argentinas failures on everyone else but Messi. Maradona instead of Messi would have won them something.

I wasn't blaming Messi's teammates.

I'm saying that being a World Cup winner is not an essential criteria in being the greatest player ever.

So your point as far as this thread is concerned is that Maradona was a better player?

I agree.

I like that so many still have Maradona ahead.

But people watching highlights reels in a few years time, who never saw either in real time, will naturally conclude Messi was the better player. And on top of that his stats (especially goals) far exceed Maradona's.

And yet Maradona had this enormous presence, he was head and shoulders above his peers, even greats like Michel Platini. Let's recall that he played in far less forgiving circumstances. The pitches were a long way from today's standards, there was little referee protection, and so comparisons are really hard. His achievements with Napoli and particularly with the national team exceed those of Messi. And for sure most Argentines still prefer Maradona, and would take peak Maradona over peak Messi in their team all day long.

My heart says Maradona, my head says Messi.

I like that so many still have Maradona ahead.

But people watching highlights reels in a few years time, who never saw either in real time, will naturally conclude Messi was the better player. And on top of that his stats (especially goals) far exceed Maradona's.

And yet Maradona had this enormous presence, he was head and shoulders above his peers, even greats like Michel Platini. Let's recall that he played in far less forgiving circumstances. The pitches were a long way from today's standards, there was little referee protection, and so comparisons are really hard. His achievements with Napoli and particularly with the national team exceed those of Messi. And for sure most Argentines still prefer Maradona, and would take peak Maradona over peak Messi in their team all day long.

My heart says Maradona, my head says Messi.
Ronaldo is superior in every way possible, proven himself in the Top 3 Leagues and won 2x majors for his country

I still can't go past Maradona, (a winner) although Vlad Chiriches is worth considering!
He might even drink Maradona under the table.

mX7lip.gif

La Liga have confirmed Messi did not register for a contract break before 28th June and thus his 630m buyout clause will remain in force - Barca can still let him go for nothing but Messi can't force it.

I am now reading a lot of reports that Messi's contract does allow him to leave. We are talking hundreds of millions at stake here so I don't think his lawyers would be advising him if they were not sure.

Obviously, La Liga has no conflict of interest.

For people who don't appreciate this, this is important for two reasons:

Firstly, obviously it removes the 700 million release clause; and
Secondly, it states Messi can end his contract unilaterally at the end of 2019/2020 season which would (in this case) conflict with any date provided in the contract and suggests that the intention of the parties was that the contractual term should to extend to the end of the season (as opposed to the nominal date of 10 June 2020).

Last edited:
La Liga have confirmed Messi did not register for a contract break before 28th June and thus his 630m buyout clause will remain in force - Barca can still let him go for nothing but Messi can't force it.
He'll just threaten to sit on his arse and do fuck all which would be a very sad way for him to try and force his way out of the team he has worshipped all his life. Whatever lies behind this situation, apart from the decline of the team, must be of such proportions that he knows it cannot be quickly or effectively resolved.
I would love to be able to watch him in the Premier League but just cannot see him have the same hunger and passion for the game without the blue and garnet shirt on his back.

He doesn't strike me as much of a talker anyway, but he could speak Spanish with his friend Aguero and Pep.

I just think in terms of settling in a new country the language would be a huge obstacle for him. He’s Messi - he could finish his career wherever he wants.

Still think he’ll end up staying at Barca. Maybe as club president at this rate.

Back
Top Bottom