Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To me the biggest issue is longevity here - Maradona was incredible and on his day possibly the greatest ever, but the strength of his career was more brief and most of that is down to himself.

Messi has been 1a or 1b in the world for 15 years. That puts him over, in my mind.

For my money, Messi probably is the greatest ever. And its only recently I've come around to that opinion. But the sheer volume of his greatness is hard to contend with.
Messi had the blessing of not being hacked every game, things that wouldn't be a foul for Maradona would be a red for Messi... And the pitches

They could just pay him an insane amount of money to do an advert for the airline or something....
Which is exactly how it worked for Neymar. Paid him about 30 million more than his buy out clause to do some ads for whatever state owns PSG. He bought himself out his contract and kept the change.

Fucking stinks

Of course. That's part of the problem - all these footballers hiring complete novices to handle their business.

You don't really see this in any other market but athletics. It makes sense though, as a lot of top athletes are the product of overbearing parents.

There's a dozen horror stories of athletes whose career earnings have evaporated because they hired family/friends to look after their finances instead of professionals for everyone one that doesn't turn out disastrous.
Musicians, child star actors....astonishing how often the kids get ripped off

Posted this in the "What film have you just watched thread" but it's relevant here too. There's a documentary out on Prime TV called Take The Ball, Pass The Ball".
It concerns Barca between 2008-2012 when they won 14 trophies. Superb insight into Messi and the support he received. You can watch his goals but also hear the accolades he receives from some of the greatest footballers to ever grace a pitch. It really is a must see for any football fan.

MESSI - THE GREATEST PLAYER EVER?

He’ among two to five of the greatest players of his era that’s for sure; it is impossible to name anyone as the greatest player ever, as the era they play in is very relevant.

I would rather have a Zidane in my starting eleven than a Messi I know.

So Sky Sports is reporting that Barca have to pay an unhappy Messi a "loyalty bonus" of 70 million Euros for staying for one last season.

I think this fucks Barca. Koeman has zero authority because everyone knows Xavi is the heir apparent. Messi's mates like Suarez are being sold, and he doesn't get on with Griezmann. And they still have to pay his crazy salary plus loyalty bonus only for him to leave for free, presumably, at the end of the season.

Financially, it would have been far better to get 200 million Euros plus Garcia & Bernardo Silva out of Shitty, and Messi's salary off the books.

Back
Top Bottom