Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A problem with these debates is that 'greatest' is subjective. Each of us value different things. So we'll never all agree.

Personally, I never thought I'd see another player with the skill on the ball and dribbling ability of Maradona. The ability to produce moments of magic beyond other players. But I think Messi actually shades it in pure technical ability. Messi has produced even more moments of incredible skill than Maradona over his career. His highlights reel, his goals and assists are all even better.

And yet, Maradona was an inspirational force, a huge presence at the heart of every match, able to lift his whole team, in a way Messi sometimes seemingly can not. Messi can seem more at the margin of games. This might be partly to do with his more introverted personality/character but I think it's also the fact that he plays naturally further forward than Maradona did. So he's literally less central to the play, and depends a bit more on his teammates to do their jobs behind him.

If I could choose one player for a one - off game, it would be Maradona. But Messi is incredible and he still has time to win with Argentina.
The question of Messi vs Maradona is the question of whether you prefer fact or legend.

And on some level, the realm of "who is the greatest player ever?" is the realm of legend.

Do we even have to have a "best player ever"?

I find it increasing tedious this whole Messi V Maradona thing, and it's not like it's ever going to be agreed on anyway on some magical day when it all becomes clear.

He's not convicted because it never went to court, it never went to court because his lawyers paid her off with a payment of $375k. He still rapped her though, he even describes it in his own words, or are you saying that he's not describing what rape is?
I asked had he been convicted.

I am one of the few that like both Ronaldo and Messi. If I had to pick one to start a squad, I would pick Ronaldo because of his mentality. He delivers more and better under pressure. Having said that, I totally understand how someone could objectively pick Messi.

We are so lucky that two of the GOATs competed in this same era.

Is there any other player today capable of meeting or exceeding their standards?

How you figure that one out?

Messi has more goals in finals, has more trophies, has more goals in El Clasicos, has got to more finals.

By what evidence are you basing this on?

Even the final Portugal did win, he had nothing to do with it.

Ronaldo goes missing in a lot of big games. He's also missed penalties in shootouts in both a CL semi final and final.

Genuine bottler.

Five CL titles, including a three peat and four out of five. He was the top CL scorer in something like seven consecutive CLs, including several in which his team did not even make the final.

Back
Top Bottom