Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah should try tackle him like an Englishman in an English team would.

AdoredWildEft.gif

Let's stop pretending, Messi has ripped apart English teams in the CL, he humiliated Woolwich for example.

All this if only Roy Keane was here etc, well Keane would have stuck his leg in, missed the ball as Messi goes round him and got himself yellow or red carded.

There is debate as to whether Maradonna, Pele are as good or better but if Messi was playing in the English league he would be the greatest ever footballer to play in this country, it's delusional to think otherwise.

Last edited:
i think it's a pretty good assumption considering any rivals to greatest player ever such as Maradonna or Pele didn't play in our league.

No but they did play in era's when players would happily break your legs for being good rather than letting you glide past while apologising for nearly standing on your toes.

Anyway, its no biggy, he's a great either way

I can understand that Zidane, Pele, Maradona, Cryuff, Puska, Eusebio, Ronaldo and Beckenbauer etc could all be seen as the best, certainly they were all among the very best.

But the amount of goals and the difference of skill he uses to do it, season after season.
Maradona was fantastic, but it's also about the longevity Messi (and CR) are doing it, which is historic imho.
Compare their world cup performances. Hmmm!

I never understand the cream fest that surrounds Messi.

That free kick gave him a direct line of sight to the goal - the wall weren't blocking the shot, so he didn't need to curl it or anything.

Yes, a certain level of skill (luck) is required to put it in the top corner still, but it's nothing that those non-league playing F2 Freestylers would have difficulty with.

I'm sure I've seen Dier score a better one, but people are using the words "amazing" and "greatest ever" to describe that free kick?

Still pretty decent, chips are down, Messi steps up and still placing it top corner, even without the defence and goalkeeper to contend with it's still pretty difficult to get it that accurately.

Or

Messi is a fraud and lucked out like Giroud's 1 in 100,000,000,000 fluke scorpion goal.

Best player in my lifetime for sure!
Great to watch as well. Seems like a nice guy too.

I can understand that Zidane, Pele, Maradona, Cryuff, Puska, Eusebio, Ronaldo and Beckenbauer etc could all be seen as the best, certainly they were all among the very best.

But the amount of goals and the difference of skill he uses to do it, season after season.
Maradona was fantastic, but it's also about the longevity Messi (and CR) are doing it, which is historic imho.
He's playing in an era when pitches are like carpets and tackles are pretty much outlawed.

Edit: Found this assault on George Best from behind by Chopper Harris that barely registered a telling off from the referee let alone a booking...note the ploughed field they are playing on...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom