Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah good shout. The likes of Iniesta, Xavi, R9, Kaka etc could all put decent shouts to get in ahead of Pelé I think...
Must say I could never get on the Zidane bandwagon myself though. Maybe my judgement on his footballing ability has been clouded slightly by the fact that he's a bit of a bell end.

I think Pele being left out probably makes the most sense. Semi professionals, farmers, made up goals and word of mouth make up his legend. As well as being lucky enough to play in one of the greatest international teams of all time (That won World Cups without him anyway).

Iniesta was MOTM in a World Cup final, European Championship final and a Champions League final as well as winning them all. Scoring the winner in a World Cup final. Zidane was probably better to watch aesthetically. R9 was just special, won't see anything like him again.

And then you get the likes of Maldini or Baresi, who are two of the greatest defenders of all time who never really gets recognition in lists like this because they don't have the offensive stats that many of the other talents do.

It’s always a difficult topic, especially when covering decades. To look at his stats I’d say Greaves would be up there as one of the greats. You also have the likes of Van Basten and Ronaldinho.

With Pele, it’s tricky because there’s not a great deal of footage and he played most of his professional career (outside internationals) at a comparatively low level. However, he looked like a modern Premier League striker when you watch the footage. A real athlete and a great all rounder. Wasn’t he 17 when he scored twice in a World Cup final?

Personally I agree with the view that a myth was built around him, but it must have had some origin in truth, especially when you consider how highly rated he was by his opponents. It’s not as if there’s a queue of former international footballers lining up to say ‘actually mate, that Pele was overrated’ (well, unless you’re Maradona).

Anyway, Messi is the GOAT in my opinion, for multiple reasons. For most Argentines, it will always be Maradona.

It’s always a difficult topic, especially when covering decades. To look at his stats I’d say Greaves would be up there as one of the greats. You also have the likes of Van Basten and Ronaldinho.

With Pele, it’s tricky because there’s not a great deal of footage and he played most of his professional career (outside internationals) at a comparatively low level. However, he looked like a modern Premier League striker when you watch the footage. A real athlete and a great all rounder. Wasn’t he 17 when he scored twice in a World Cup final?

Personally I agree with the view that a myth was built around him, but it must have had some origin in truth, especially when you consider how highly rated he was by his opponents. It’s not as if there’s a queue of former international footballers lining up to say ‘actually mate, that Pele was overrated’ (well, unless you’re Maradona).

Anyway, Messi is the GOAT in my opinion, for multiple reasons. For most Argentines, it will always be Maradona.

It's definitely a difficult topic. Eventually, there will be a time where NO ONE on this planet would have witnessed Pele play. So it'll all be urban legend and myth. "Pele once scored 1000 career goals." , "Pele scored from a bicycle kick from 40 yards" etc. - and that'll go on for generations. Can't help but feel that all anyone knows of Pele are highlight videos. He's literally the modern day YouTube compilation of someone based on legend.

Let's not forget that Brazil won the 1962 very comfortably WITHOUT him. Winning 5 of 6 games and scoring 14 goals. Garrincha the star of the show with his fucked up spine and bent legs. He was back in 1966 though where they got knocked out in the groups..

Pele was 52 when I was born, so I never saw him play but I would probably assume from what I HAVE seen is that he was probably just ahead of his time. Wouldn't surprise me if he was quicker and more powerful than a lot of other players of that time as well as a very very talented freestyler, mix in the fact that he's up against semi professionals and it's probably a recipe for legend.

It's a bit like when you look at old footage of football back in the 50s and 60s and the goalkeepers are just shit. Barely dive. Crap positioning etc. You have defenders just looking at the player instead of the ball, ridiculously slow to turn etc. Defenders being fooled by the simplest of tricks etc. The game has evolved and it's ridiculously hard to judge.

Jesse Owens transcended Athletics but that doesn't make him the best athlete of all time. It makes him a legend but Usain Bolt is a better athlete. Shit evolves.

Regarding Argentines on Messi and Maradona, I think most Argentines would judge it on the fact that Maradona is literally Argentine through and through I reckon (add to the fact that Argentina won the World Cup with him) as opposed to full blown ability though. I've seen documentaries on how Maradona is seen as a god simply because of the World Cup win.

Whereas Messi has been in Spain since he was a kid and sort of never really shows that same sort of passion for his country that Maradona did - I think even if Argentina had won the World Cup in 2010, they'd still have put Maradona above him simply because of that patriotism Maradona shows. Messi just seems to me like someone who feels Spanish but plays for Argentina out of respect.

Last edited:
It's definitely a difficult topic. Eventually, there will be a time where NO ONE on this planet would have witnessed Pele play. So it'll all be urban legend and myth. "Pele once scored 1000 career goals." , "Pele scored from a bicycle kick from 40 yards" etc. - and that'll go on for generations. Can't help but feel that all anyone knows of Pele are highlight videos. He's literally the modern day YouTube compilation of someone based on legend.

Let's not forget that Brazil won the 1962 very comfortably WITHOUT him. Winning 5 of 6 games and scoring 14 goals. Garrincha the star of the show with his fucked up spine and bent legs. He was back in 1966 though where they got knocked out in the groups..

Pele was 52 when I was born, so I never saw him play but I would probably assume from what I HAVE seen is that he was probably just ahead of his time. Wouldn't surprise me if he was quicker and more powerful than a lot of other players of that time as well as a very very talented freestyler, mix in the fact that he's up against semi professionals and it's probably a recipe for legend.

It's a bit like when you look at old footage of football back in the 50s and 60s and the goalkeepers are just shit. Barely dive. Crap positioning etc. You have defenders just looking at the player instead of the ball, ridiculously slow to turn etc. Defenders being fooled by the simplest of tricks etc. The game has evolved and it's ridiculously hard to judge.

Usain Bolt would smash Jesse Owens to shit in a race - bu

Regarding Argentines on Messi and Maradona, I think most Argentines would judge it on the fact that Maradona is literally Argentine through and through I reckon (add to the fact that Argentina won the World Cup with him) as opposed to full blown ability though. I've seen documentaries on how Maradona is seen as a god simply because of the World Cup win.

Whereas Messi has been in Spain since he was a kid and sort of never really shows that same sort of passion for his country that Maradona did - I think even if Argentina had won the World Cup in 2010, they'd still have put Maradona above him simply because of that patriotism Maradona shows. Messi just seems to me like someone who feels Spanish but plays for Argentina out of respect.

Agree on the politics that make Argentines love Maradona unconditionally.

With Pele, he was clearly an exceptional player.

This video isn’t great quality, but it show the variety of his game pretty well. At times he looks like a Messi/Ronaldo hybrid. Both grace and power. A quick thinker with the technical skill to back it up. I could easily see him being a dominant figure in the game if he was playing today (and no I don’t mean in his 70s you wiseacres). Especially as he’d benefit from better training.

Agree on the politics that make Argentines love Maradona unconditionally.

With Pele, he was clearly an exceptional player.

This video isn’t great quality, but it show the variety of his game pretty well. At times he looks like a Messi/Ronaldo hybrid. Both grace and power. A quick thinker with the technical skill to back it up. I could easily see him being a dominant figure in the game if he was playing today (and no I don’t mean in his 70s you wiseacres). Especially as he’d benefit from better training.

And can you imagine how much better Messi could have been playing against absolutely horrendous amateur goalkeepers and awful defenders like the ones in that clip?

Pele, Maradona and Messi would have to be in anyone's top three, Christiano looks to be cemented
in at number four. But who else would make the top five? Maybe fat boy Ronaldo but Cruyff, Zidane
and Best would have a good shout as well.

And can you imagine how much better Messi could have been playing against absolutely horrendous amateur goalkeepers and awful defenders like the ones in that clip?

I’m in full agreement that Messi is better, but it’s so difficult to compare the different eras. Modern day Southampton would walk the old league 1 in the 50s, 60s, and probably the 70s too, simply because of fitness and technical ability.

Pele, Maradona and Messi would have to be in anyone's top three, Christiano looks to be cemented
in at number four. But who else would make the top five? Maybe fat boy Ronaldo but Cruyff, Zidane
and Best would have a good shout as well.

Depends how people would judge what it means to be 'best'.

I mean, a lot of people seem to think that the individual player has to have been part of a team that won a team tournament to be considered the best of all time. Some people think it's based on consistency at the top level. Some people think it's on pure ability alone.

I think the team argument is silly. Because it rules out anyone born outside of the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, France, Italy, Spain etc. of being called the greatest footballer of all time in future.

The best footballer is the best footballer. It shouldn't be about what they won. It's about what the individual can do. Attributes.

Spot on.

That's how I would base it too. Which is why Cristiano Ronaldo would miss out for me. An EXCEPTIONAL goalscorer but so was Puskas. So was Muller. So was Bican. So was Eusebio.

And even then, in the modern era, there has ALWAYS been someone who's been just that little bit better than him. And that's Messi.

The only guy in world football who can score 45 goals in 50 games, win a double and come 45 minutes away from winning a league unbeaten and finish 5th in the world of best footballers. Incredible.

Last edited:
The best footballer is the best footballer. It shouldn't be about what they won. It's about what the individual can do. Attributes.

I agree about attributes over trophies, but then it becomes a question of how to compare different positions. Can we compare Maldini, Cruyff, Puskas, Zidane, Beckenbauer, Best, Buffon, Iniesta, and Messi?

I agree about attributes over trophies, but then it becomes a question of how to compare different positions. Can we compare Maldini, Cruyff, Puskas, Zidane, Beckenbauer, Best, Buffon, Iniesta, and Messi?

It's always a funny subject isn't it.

I think it should come down to consistency and importance at the highest level. Messi outscores every single one of those attackers but he also creates more than a lot of the some of the midfielders deemed the best in their position and he's been doing this for over a decade.

Messi is an attacker, yet he has more assists to his name (167) than Zidane and Iniesta put together (163). Which is incredible.

Maldini should be a legitimate contender in conversation for a top 5 though. Consistent for TWENTY years. Clean sheets will back up his defensive ability like goals would back up an attackers offence.

Greatest British player of all time is a far more interesting debate anyway.

Best most likely but have to consider Greaves, Dalglish, B Charlton, John Charles, Moore and Jennings.

Best British player is past 30 years? Bale, Scholes, Giggs, Shearer, Gazza and maybe Eric Dier.*

*One of those is the odd one out, can you guess which one?

:pochsmirk:

It's always a funny subject isn't it.

I think it should come down to consistency and importance at the highest level. Messi outscores every single one of those attackers but he also creates more than a lot of the some of the midfielders deemed the best in their position and he's been doing this for over a decade.

Messi is an attacker, yet he has more assists to his name (167) than Zidane and Iniesta put together (163). Which is incredible.

Maldini should be a legitimate contender in conversation for a top 5 though. Consistent for TWENTY years. Clean sheets will back up his defensive ability like goals would back up an attackers offence.

Exactly. As good as Messi is, he could never do what Maldini did (and vice versa, obviously). It would be interesting to see a GOAT XI, especially when it comes to the number 10!

Back
Top Bottom