Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No contest.

There’s something formulaic about Ronaldo, he does something over and over again that is unstoppable based on his athleticism, but Messi is different all together, he is creativity itself and he is simply unpredictable.

The greatest player since Maradona, he is in a different class. If you can’t see this, you might as well give up football.

How people debate Ronaldo v Messi is beyond me. Guy is on another level to all his contemporaries and arguably all before him. Was too young to see Pele, Cruyff, Maradona, etc, - privilleged to see this guy.
I have come to the conclusion its almost impossible to compare across eras, the games have the same name but they are not really the same game. The tackles (from behind) and pitches played on in the past were miles away from where we are now.

My opinion is Maradona but I wouldn't really argue if you said Messi.

It is a debate that will no doubt run and run.

What we know is that there is nobody currently playing who gets anywhere close to Messi and Ronaldo.

But for me, the one club and lack of international glory will always level it with Ronaldo and none were better than Maradona, just in terms of presence and impact at the highest level.

It's why someone like Suarez would have won us more than having Kane in the same period. Would have scored less but won us more.

It is a greater metric than talent alone which is why Brazilian Ronaldo ranks so highly to me.

He's been averaging 42 goals a season for the last 14 years.

Some of the best strikers in history have barely managed 42 goals in a single season.

And on top of that he is also always one of the highest assisting players.. somehow

220 assists over the same period.

Averaging just under 16 assists a season for 14 years straight.

So basically every season for the last 14 seasons on average he's involved in 58 goals for his team..

Last edited:
I think this illustrates it nicely. Fucking hell.

690.jpg

...and that was a month ago.

Back
Top Bottom