Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Totti was also close to Real Madrid but remained with AS Roma. Del Piero went to Juventus in 2012 with a blank contract for the renewal but it is the club he wanted to change. I'm talking about the times when it was at its peak.

Del Piero played for Juventus for 19 years.

Totti was also close to Real Madrid but remained with AS Roma. Del Piero went to Juventus in 2012 with a blank contract for the renewal but it is the club he wanted to change. I'm talking about the times when it was at its peak.

Del Piero played for Juventus for 19 years.
And Messi played for Barcelona for 21 and isn't at his ''peak''.

He left as they couldn't pay his wages, right?

He's a multi millionaire, could have stayed on £50k a week.

He didn't, instead he went to a club giving him around £500k a week.

Crocodile tears.
Crocodile tears is harsh. He could be sad to leave, but at the same time still values himself.

For example, at 50k per week, that’s him earning less than players who can’t make the match day squad every week. Then there’s the fact that he’d be making much less, Barcelona would still rack in past years revenues off his name, while giving Messi (in comparison to previous years) pennies.

It’d be poetic to him take a drastic pay cut to play for River Plate/Boca Juniors or even the club he grew up supporting in Argentina, not for the mighty FC Barcelona.

Messi to PSG was always the most likely move. Don't forget a year ago he wanted out of Barca but they convinced him to stay.

I'm sure it's possible to be sad about saying goodbye to Barca but also happy and excited about the move to Paris.

One of the greatest cities on the planet, special teammates, a nice league not full of cloggers, real opportunity to win the CL and you get to play under cuddly Poch whilst earning shitloads of dosh.

What's the catch?!

:pochsmirk:

I

Crocodile tears.
I can't argue with people who arw not informed.
Messi couldn't take anything less than 50% of his previous salary BY THE LAW.

Fucking hell.

He was in the club for 20 years and you think he's faki g the tears? If you're at your workplace for 20 years and you are leaving you will have a hard time, and this is football and emotions are way higher so just stop.

Amother thing, why would anyone take 50k per week when they can get 1M per week? You gotta be kidding me. Hahahahah

I can't argue with people who arw not informed.
Messi couldn't take anything less than 50% of his previous salary BY THE LAW.

Fucking hell.

He was in the club for 20 years and you think he's faki g the tears? If you're at your workplace for 20 years and you are leaving you will have a hard time, and this is football and emotions are way higher so just stop.

Amother thing, why would anyone take 50k per week when they can get 1M per week? You gotta be kidding me. Hahahahah
The irony of you calling someone 'not informed'!! 🤦‍♂️

Anyway, as I said - crocodile tears...

According to BBC radio PSG sold 150,000 Messi shirts in 5 minutes after his press conference.
Yes, and they all cost 500 euros with the club getting 99.999% of the revenue. And just like that, PSG have no more problems with Financial Fair Play and don't need any hidden money transfers or dodgy sponsorships from Qatar! How fortunate are they? 😏😏

So assuming PSG charge the same for a shirt as Tottenham, they covered the cost of his salary on the day he signed. Since he was on a free, they effectively got him for nothing.
Not bad.

Nah....

They will have got nothing close to 100% of the income from a shirt; let alone it being 100% profit.

You not think Nike earn money out of these deals?

Crocodile tears.
I don't know the exact ins and outs, but I have read more than once about some law in Spain that prevents paycuts greater than 50%, which still wouldn't have allowed Barca to sign him up due to their wage bill, and prevented him from staying on a tiny wage.

I did also read that as he had gone out of contract a new deal would see him as a new signing, and as such he wouldn't be able to be registered, like the rest of their new signings. But if that's true then surely whatever wage he was willing to take wouldn't be a paycut as it's an entirely new deal?

Anyway, lots of different information out there about it, but I did get the impression that it wasn't simply his choice to leave, if he had priced himself out of staying then would the club have given him such a fond send off, press conference etc?

Back
Top Bottom