Middlesbrough v Tottenham Hotspur, FA Cup 5th Round, Riverside Stadium, Tuesday 1st March 2022 at 19:55 GMT, LIVE on BBC1

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why else would Kane who was majestic against city and Leeds be so poor against boro? The effort was the same so what was different? I believe it was 100% down to fatigue - don’t give me the we’re not trying or didn’t care or were too cocky bullshit. These players want to win things the effort was 100% you could see that at the final whistle.

The squad is too small though you could argue why when 3-0 up with 20/30 minutes left against Leeds conte didn’t take Kane and son off ? Though of course we would not have seen the marvellous 4th goal for the Kane/son combo!
4 northern away games in the space of 11 days including the atrocious conditions at turf moor - bloody hell im knackered and I didn’t play a single minute!

The squad is not 'too small', we currently have 22 players in our first team squad - after loaning out 4 who played very little in the first half of the season, and bringing in 2 others in Bentancur and Kulusevski.

I hope you are not trying to suggest that Ndombele and Lo Celso should be given 'just one more try' after completing 90 minutes in a PL match just 16 times in two and a half years between them - and Kulusevski having scored more PL goals in a handful of appearances than Lo Celso in two and a half years.

For whatever reason the players did not seem up for it v Boro, but no reason why they should be so fatigued when Boro were not, so unlikely to be mainly/only fatigue.

And 3 of them relegated in the season they won the cup.

How many have not been relegated since. Quite obvious the clubs who had a bit of luck on their cup runs. Magic of the cup!!

Can ask the question is a domestic trophy worth relegation? See who says it is.

If football is all about winning trophies then result should be a landslide.

You seriously think the Leeds game was a stroll? I’d rather be away to a team bottom of the championship and only half hour down the road than our trip to Leeds. Middlesbrough lost that game so not sure how much they exerted themselves. The champ may be a slog but the tempo and intensity of the prem is on a different level. Boro deserved the win just observing given the lack of rotation what a heavy work load our players had in the previous 11 days and though we matched biros desire and effort we lacked their energy

I think winning 4-0 is probably an easier game than losing 3-2. Championship is brutal when it comes to energy levels needed, the technical ability/athleticism is lower but teams work hard and the tempo is generally very high. They certainly had no trouble bringing a very high tempo against us. You really watched that game and didn't see that one side were willing to go that extra step to win every loose ball? We obviously wanted to win, but they wanted to more.

'We were tired' isn't going to cut it as an excuse when they were playing a team who had played as many matches in the same period of time, have played more games this season, and are a mid table lower league outfit where even if they are a bit fitter, the quality should show. The 'we played a lot of away games' lately point is a bit weak too, players travel in total luxury these days. It's not taxing.

I think winning 4-0 is probably an easier game than losing 3-2. Championship is brutal when it comes to energy levels needed, the technical ability/athleticism is lower but teams work hard and the tempo is generally very high. They certainly had no trouble bringing a very high tempo against us. I really don't think 'we were tired' is going to cut it as an excuse when they were playing a team who had played as many matches in the same period of time, have played more games this season, and are a mid table lower league outfit where even if they are a bit fitter, the quality should show. The 'we played a lot of away games' lately point is a bit weak too, players travel in total luxury these days. It's not taxing.
We’ll have to disagree but there was nothing easy about the Leeds game - playing away to Leeds will take considerably more effort than playing away to Barnsley - boro were 3-0 down in that game so not sure how committed they were especially in the 1st half

The squad is not 'too small', we currently have 22 players in our first team squad - after loaning out 4 who played very little in the first half of the season, and bringing in 2 others in Bentancur and Kulusevski.

I hope you are not trying to suggest that Ndombele and Lo Celso should be given 'just one more try' after completing 90 minutes in a PL match just 16 times in two and a half years between them - and Kulusevski having scored more PL goals in a handful of appearances than Lo Celso in two and a half years.

For whatever reason the players did not seem up for it v Boro, but no reason why they should be so fatigued when Boro were not, so unlikely to be mainly/only fatigue.
22 in the first team squad - most serious teams have 25 that’s why in a previous post I said we were one short last September and it was ridiculous to lose another 2 in January. You seriously think our bench for last few games is good enough for a team with aspirations for top 4 or to win cups? GLC has been totally underwhelming for us but he probably would have been trusted to do 30 minutes or so against Leeds when the game was won giving a starter a valuable rest. the squad is patently too small to challenge at the top of the league

Middlesbrough played 4 days before the game, same as us. They've also played 8 more league games than us this season. Not like we've had European football as an issue for a while either. They're also playing in a brutal league, we strolled to a 4-0 win over Leeds whereas they lost 3-2 to Barnsley. Every game in the championship is a slog.

If it's an excuse for us, it's an excuse for them. Except they out pressed us all game. It's one thing looking sad at the end of the final whistle, it's another to get stuck in to a battle against a team who are giving everything and fighting for every loose ball. Our players weren't up to that challenge, they didn't fancy it enough, and we lost because of it.
100% agree not due how any one can come on here and say it was fatigue. They e hardly played this year. If we’re still in Europe everyone would be saying too many games, etc. now we we are still tired with less games. It’s BS we are a PL club and should be fitter , technically better . Sharper and under a super coach tactically smarter. We were none of those. Whose fault is it that conte only subs the WBs , leave till 80th min to make sub, play first just strolling around wasting oxygen and so on?

Why else would Kane who was majestic against city and Leeds be so poor against boro? The effort was the same so what was different? I believe it was 100% down to fatigue - don’t give me the we’re not trying or didn’t care or were too cocky bullshit. These players want to win things the effort was 100% you could see that at the final whistle.

The squad is too small though you could argue why when 3-0 up with 20/30 minutes left against Leeds conte didn’t take Kane and son off ? Though of course we would not have seen the marvellous 4th goal for the Kane/son combo!
4 northern away games in the space of 11 days including the atrocious conditions at turf moor - bloody hell im knackered and I didn’t play a single minute!
Also, he can’t keep doing 2 jobs at elite level every single game. It’s a team sport. Name 1 player who played like they should have. Kane had no service from fellow forwards, midfielders or wing backs. Also is getting overly slated for slipping on that free kick. Now I don’t want him taking them but he slipped ffs he didn’t boof it in row z!

22 in the first team squad - most serious teams have 25 that’s why in a previous post I said we were one short last September and it was ridiculous to lose another 2 in January. You seriously think our bench for last few games is good enough for a team with aspirations for top 4 or to win cups? GLC has been totally underwhelming for us but he probably would have been trusted to do 30 minutes or so against Leeds when the game was won giving a starter a valuable rest. the squad is patently too small to challenge at the top of the league
Also most teams that win the league do so without much rotation

100% agree not due how any one can come on here and say it was fatigue. They e hardly played this year. If we’re still in Europe everyone would be saying too many games, etc. now we we are still tired with less games. It’s BS we are a PL club and should be fitter , technically better . Sharper and under a super coach tactically smarter. We were none of those. Whose fault is it that conte only subs the WBs , leave till 80th min to make sub, play first just strolling around wasting oxygen and so on?
If fatigue was a potential problem, why not make more subs earlier against Leeds when the game was done at half time

GLC has failed even in 30 minute spells to do anything. Waste of space and apparently not good for morale in dressing room - something to do with him thinking he should be a regular starter without proving anything.

The main reason why most PL clubs, including Spurs, often do not get a full 25 man squad under UEFA rules is they are lacking either 'Club trained players' (minimum 4 required to get a 25 man squad) and/or Players who were trained by other clubs affiliated with The FA (minimum of 8 including Club Trained players). Its a complete fallacy that most serious' clubs have a 25 man squad : they do not.

Also most teams that win the league do so without much rotation
Regarding your kane comment I was sticking up for him he has been amazing the last few games but has literally run himself into the ground playing every minute of every game. He didn’t handle the Man City stuff very well and I was very critical of him but he has turned me round totally he us too good for us and I hope he leaves in the summer.

Man city Man Utd and Liverpool regularly rotate because they have deep squads (not doing much for united though)

Last edited:
And 3 of them relegated in the season they won the cup.
Praise Lord Levy, the valiant custodian of our dear club has saved us from near certain relegation by ensuring we didn't win any needless trophies!

Oh how lucky we were that we didn't go down that year we dared win the League Cup...

Last edited:
Exactly my point on too small a squad and there was so little quality on the bench conte didn’t have the confidence to make changes
You really do need to understand the rules on how squads are made up.

Its as fundamental as any rule of football

Otherwise why bother following football if you have no idea about its rules - and 'oh my squads too small I want 30 players in it' really doesn't cut it

You really do need to understand the rules on how squads are made up.

Its as fundamental as any rule of football

Otherwise why bother following football if you have no idea about its rules - and 'oh my squads too small I want 30 players in it' really doesn't cut it
I do pal and it’s a fact that before Christmas we had 2 more than we do now

I do pal and it’s a fact that before Christmas we had 2 more than we do now

If you really believe that the likes of Lo Celso and Ndombele added anything to the squad, you'll find you are in a very small minority

Which is why your remark that surely Lo Celso would be good to bring on for 39 minutes suggests your knowledge of football is individual to only you.

If you really believe that the likes of Lo Celso and Ndombele added anything to the squad, you'll find you are in a very small minority

Which is why your remark that surely Lo Celso would be good to bring on for 39 minutes suggests your knowledge of football is individual to only you.

Showing yourself up now - I know glc has been pretty shite for us but you are seriously saying we can’t use a current Argentinian international to come on as a sub in a game we are winning 3-0 to give a starter a valuable rest? Disagree by all means but to suggest I am the only person who thinks like that is wide of the mark (imho)

So you disagree with a comment that you should know the rules about how a squad is made up

Tells everyone that despite protestations, you really haven't a scooby

did I do to upset you
So you disagree with a comment that you should know the rules about how a squad is made up

Tells everyone that despite protestations, you really haven't a scooby
Blimey what have I done to upset you? My opinion is that the squad is 3 players lighter than it was last season and is 2 lighter than it was on 1st January (actually I think it’s a fact but hey ho I could be wrong) I am also of the opinion that fatigue was a major contributor.
As for my knowledge of football it’s fairly immaterial giving this is a fans forum not a FIFA coaches forum but as you ask I have been heavily involved in football from a young age (my dads promising career as a amateur cb for Hayes was ended by a knee injury at 21 so he became a coach and as a kid I was dragged all over the south east watching some decidedly dodgy football - I did my level 2 badge (is it the UEFA b badge these days? ) and coached a bit- I am also a qualified ref. I may not know shit but I live and breathe football and I adore Tottenham with all my soul and I am entitled to an opinion feel free to politely disagree or equally be totally dismissive and consider me a retarded imbecile. It matters not to me I will continue to voice opinions on here (until banned)
On a positive note I am back at work next week so will return to posting once a week or so!

Back
Top Bottom