Midfield whats the solution

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hope that the actual staff have more of a gameplan than "wait til January". :pochsulk:

Dier, Winks, Wanyama, Skipp, Sissoko, Ndombele and GLC in the ranks yet we're just retreading Poch's failed path.

The good thing is mourinho isnt known for taking shit.

After last night he will have seen the issue. And will change stuff around.

The issue was lucas. Well he was the main issue. He was rubbish going forward but he was equally bad at tracking back so sissoko is constantly drifting out there and winks had no chance. To be fair rashford was brilliant but we should have reacted to that.

Again for me it's a 433. Dele can and has played that narrow right wide forward role to great effect he would be just off kane at an angle so in theory he could get more space.

Against most we could afford both lo celso and n'dombele in but against sides that have players like rashford sissoko could come in and do a job.

Also a word about kane. The midfield and defence were dreadful last night but defending starts from the front and i expect more from harry. He was totally ineffectual as both an attacker which to be fair isnt all his fault and a leader. He can set the tone of the press. Last night he was just there.

I hope that the actual staff have more of a gameplan than "wait til January". :pochsulk:

Dier, Winks, Wanyama, Skipp, Sissoko, Ndombele and GLC in the ranks yet we're just retreading Poch's failed path.

We should already know who we're keeping and who doesn't cut it until January. If that means tweaking with starters or formations, so be it.

Of course, it also means we'd be spending some money in January and it also means the proper players would be available for us. Two big factors to take into consideration.

In the Premier League & Champions League:

Last 4 seasons with us.....2 assists (average of 0.5 assists per season)

4th season with us.... 11 assists (averages just over 2.5 assists per season)

Last 4 seasons with us..... 11 assists (average of just over 2.5 assists per season)

Last 4 seasons with us......11 assists (average of just over 2.5 assists per season)

3 seasons with us..... 10 assists (average of 3.3 assists per season)

2.5 seasons with us.....4 assists (average of 1.5-1.75 assits per season)

All in all we have crucial positions who simply put don't create enough for others. This, coinciding with an ageing defence sees us score less and ship more.

These 6 guys on average contributed what one Liverpool Full Back did in assists last season, not even their best full back either.

Virtually all the time Winks has been played as a DM - and that role does not have goals and assists as there top priority.

Winks is a no 8, and good at recycling the ball quickly, and actually quite good with forward passes etc - but being played as a 'safety first' (hence short passing) DM, which is very much a secondary position which he had never played in Spurs youth before Poch introduced him to it.

More Lo Celso and Ndombele. Less Winks and Sissoko.

I would like a fit Dier protecting our back four, Sissoko covering the FBs and breaking up play with Tanguay and Lo Celso driving forward

And a Guylian truffle advent calendar please

Virtually all the time Winks has been played as a DM - and that role does not have goals and assists as there top priority.

Winks is a no 8, and good at recycling the ball quickly, and actually quite good with forward passes etc - but being played as a 'safety first' (hence short passing) DM, which is very much a secondary position which he had never played in Spurs youth before Poch introduced him to it.

Except he doesn’t do much forward passing but maybe José can work on that

Winks-Sissoko stinks as a pairing, they have stunk as a pairing for over a year now, they continue to stink now.

We need a proper DM, that's the only way this is going to get fixed.

Wanyama, as we have seen his legs are passed it. The injuries ruined him as a top class athlete.

Sissoko doesn't have the footballing ability to run a midfield.

Dier would have made an amazing footballer in the 80's/90's where teams would have utility players. But the modern game doesn't allow for someone to be decent in lots of positions. Can't see where he fits in at all.

Winks seems too lightweight for that holding role, and inconsistent.

Personally I think it is a case of offloading Wanyama/Sissoko/Dier over the next few transfer windows. Potentially retaining Winks due to his age and hoping he progresses. But realistically, the only long term answer is new personnel.

Except he doesn’t do much forward passing but maybe José can work on that

Winks can do forward passing but under the Poch requirement for Winks as a DM of 'Safety passing/don't lose the ball for possession football' forward passing which is inherently risky was not wanted.

Winks can do forward passing but under the Poch requirement for Winks as a DM of 'Safety passing/don't lose the ball for possession football' forward passing which is inherently risky was not wanted.

Ok we’ll see as I like Winksy who can develop more

We should already know who we're keeping and who doesn't cut it until January. If that means tweaking with starters or formations, so be it.

Of course, it also means we'd be spending some money in January and it also means the proper players would be available for us. Two big factors to take into consideration.

Well obviously the standard questions of who/when/how much/how long will it take to integrate them will all apply.....

I'd just like to think that both as per the remit of the thread and (more importantly) on the part of the management, that we'll be striving for a more immediate solution in the meantime.....

Between now and the close of the Jan window will define the rest of our season.... We could be routed to mid-table and out of all cups by then.

The new manager bounce is over (allegedly both players and manager were "complacent" last night).... If that's all the salvage plan amounted to I think I'd have preferred to afford Poch the rest of the season to turn our fortunes around and complete the squad surgery he started last summer.

Wanyama, as we have seen his legs are passed it. The injuries ruined him as a top class athlete.

Sissoko doesn't have the footballing ability to run a midfield.

Dier would have made an amazing footballer in the 80's/90's where teams would have utility players. But the modern game doesn't allow for someone to be decent in lots of positions. Can't see where he fits in at all.

Winks seems too lightweight for that holding role, and inconsistent.

Personally I think it is a case of offloading Wanyama/Sissoko/Dier over the next few transfer windows. Potentially retaining Winks due to his age and hoping he progresses. But realistically, the only long term answer is new personnel.

See above.

This conversation or debate about who should play in midfield feels like it has been going on for frigging ever.
Bottom line is it doesn’t really matter who we play, what combination of who plays, it’s all moot as the answer isn’t even a Spurs player yet....
Sissoko - penny is dropping with most and hopefully only after a week or two Jose has seen enough to understand this guy is a disaster of a transfer. He’s the oppositions best player around our own box, he can’t assist a pass for shit and one goal in 7 million appearances just about sums up his shooting ability.
Winks - Nothing, and I mean nothing suggests this kid is a DM, CM? Maybe, but it will take one hell of a guy beside him to afford him the time and opportunity to show us his more creative side, even then I doubt that there is a B grade Modric in there.
Lamela - This guy makes Darren Anderton look healthy.
Wanyama - see above
Dier- form and fitness has gone to shit, defiantly more than tonsillitis going on here.
Lo Celso - never plays and we’r not psychic.
N’Dombele - maybe our best hope, at 60m Levy will hope so.
Eriksen - what’s the fucking point?
Lucas - depends on the formation really, if it right he looks like Messi, if not he looks like a Mess.
Son, Alli and Kane are nailed in.

Jose needs to find his preferred formation and then go and find the personal to make it work. God speed special one!!

And what do we do for the 50% of matches that Lamela is injured for - not forgetting that he's never played there so far from certain that he could do it

That's how theories work, innit.😉

Far from convinced about Erik as a pure DM....

I'd love to see him tried as #8 in a 3 man CM though. Then again, I'm bored to fuck of saying that about ALL of our midfielders, tbh!!!

Can you remind me how many permutations we can have of Dier, Winks, Wanyama, Skipp, Sissoko, Ndombele and GLC in
1) A CM2 to play 4231
2) A CM3 to play a 433.

And more to the point, are there enough matches left to try them all before the end of the season, bearing in mind we probably want to look at them for a couple of matches !?

Can you remind me how many permutations we can have of Dier, Winks, Wanyama, Skipp, Sissoko, Ndombele and GLC in
1) A CM2 to play 4231
2) A CM3 to play a 433.

And more to the point, are there enough matches left to try them all before the end of the season, bearing in mind we probably want to look at them for a couple of matches !?

You and I can presume the answer to both those questions.... i.e. Loads and not enough, but maybe, just maybe, being a manager on X-million and year and having daily access to these players ought to be a difference maker.

(By this I'm alluding to both JM & MP.....)

we are stuck until the transfer window opens when we need a true DM
Winks not strong enough and doesn't sense the danger
Dier out of form, not mobile now
Ndombele still not fit
could Foyth drop in to DM position ?

We should try Foyth at DM. We need to give Dier a run of games to see if he can get back into form.

Back
Top Bottom