MIDFIELD!!!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

4 3 3 didn't seem to work on Sunday... Too flat across the middle and nobody was there half the time anyway...

41212 formation? PEH as anchor. Ndombele in between striker and PEH as box to box mid. Dele as support striker dropping back into attacking midfield and drifting around the edge of the box? Kane as main centre forward? Son and Moura play as left and right mids getting crosses in from the sides, not as attempted strikers, or attacking midfielders...

Lennon always played as a winger and IMO was excellent at creating havoc down the right and trying to get balls into the box. Could Moura try to take on this role more as a wide man, rather than generally dribbling in midfield?

Lloris
Royal Romero Rodon Regulion
Skipp PEH
Bryan Ndombele Son
Kane

Lloris
Tanganga Romero Rodon Regulion
Skipp PEH
Bryan Lo Celso Lucas
Son

I wouldn’t mind the old Poch system. Skipp and PEH for energy and Ndombele forward enough not to hurt the defence.

You could easily swap Tanganga in for Royal, Lucas in and push Son up to replace Kane for extra speed and when Ndombele gets tired replace him with Lo Celso.

I’ve watched the replay of Woolwich game a number of times. I think our midfield is a big problem. Here’s why.
1. Woolwich put our CB’s under pressure (pressing) and they hoof the ball forward. We looked like a longball team for a significant part of the match because the midfield didn’t present options.
2. Neither PEH nor Skipp are go forward players. Skipp in particular only passes sideways or backwards. When he passes backwards it puts our CB’s under pressure and they hoof the ball forward. See 1.
3. i think PEH was the worst player on the pitch. He didn’t DM and he didn’t go forward. He seemed to be a passenger.
4. Ndombele was quite good. Whenever he got the ball he was looking to go forward and create something. He wasn’t passing responsibility to his teammates like PEH and Winks Skipp
5. We were slow in transition. We won the ball in Woolwich half a few times but people then sat on the ball and waited for support. Also meant Woolwich got organised. We don’t seem to have the counterattacking confidence we had in the Man City game.
6. First two Woolwich goals happened from where the DM should be ie. cutbacks. I can’t blame the CB’s for that.

tl/dr? Here’s the summary
- I didn’t think Ndombele had a bad game.
- PEH was shite
- Dele was better than PEH
- Skipp’s passing is no better than Winks.
- midfield needs to present options for CB’s when in possession

I couldn't even watch MOTD never mind the whole game again!!

Lloris
Skipp PEH
Bryan Ndombele Son
Kane

Lloris
Skipp PEH
Bryan Lo Celso Lucas
Son

I wouldn’t mind the old Poch system. Skipp and PEH for energy and Ndombele forward enough not to hurt the defence.

You could easily swap Tanganga in for Royal, Lucas in and push Son up to replace Kane for extra speed and when Ndombele gets tired replace him with Lo Celso.
Skipp and PEH are made for Poch's system.

Lloris
Skipp PEH
Bryan Ndombele Son
Kane

Lloris
Skipp PEH
Bryan Lo Celso Lucas
Son

Thats the first time I've realized we can field an all 'R' surname back line. As well as everything else has been working, we might as well just do that.

:nunothumb:

Can honestly say we don't have a proper good midfielder on our books anywhere.

Whoever you put in there has serious limitations. Ndombele and Lo Celso are about as fair-weather as it comes. Will look decent in a handful of games that don't matter over a season, the rest they're an absolute liability.

Skipp and Hojberg are so limited on the ball we can't play them both. Skipp at least puts himself about, Hojberg is an absolute pretender.

Alli doesn't even warrant being included in the discussion, what even is he at this point in his career? Finished.

The whole midfield needs gutting out and rebuilding.

Lloris
Skipp PEH
Bryan Ndombele Son
Kane

Lloris
Skipp PEH
Bryan Lo Celso Lucas
Son

Poch's system had Dembele in the pivot who could progress the ball. Neither PEH or Skipp can do that role. It might be the best we can do because in any formation it is going to be a problem but the 4-2-3-1 will still have us with problems because we have to bypass the MF 2 and our CB's are not good enough to make those passes.

Poch's system had Dembele in the pivot who could progress the ball. Neither PEH or Skipp can do that role. It might be the best we can do because in any formation it is going to be a problem but the 4-2-3-1 will still have us with problems because we have to bypass the MF 2 and our CB's are not good enough to make those passes.
I would play Gill and Ndombele in centre mid, with Skipp holding as a DM

Skipp and PEH are made for Poch's system.

They aren't. They don't move the ball well enough especially when paired together.

Honestly only one of them should be in the starting 11 except maybe for games against City/Chelsea/Liverpool when we are going to park the bus and pray.

Said it in the Summer the wisest thing to do with Kane wanting out was to sell for like 105 million (so levy could feel good about getting more than Villa) get Vlahovic. And thrown the rest and all extra at totally remodeling the midfield for me only Skipp has a future in a potential ECL Spurs team. Kessie, the American lad at Juve, Damsgaard. We would be better than we are now that's for sure.

With respect mate, your post has nothing to do with "tactics".

Tactics are what Nuno has instructed those players to do. If Nuno wants his 8's to play wide and/or high then that's on him. If he wants his 6 to be pressing the oppo DM on the edge of their box (whilst both the 6's are wide/high up the pitch also) then that's on him.

It doesn't matter who or what the personnel is, this is what Nuno asked of them.

The only player that has shown repeatedly a compleat lack of discipline in midfield is PEH when he's asked to play as our 6, as everytime he's asked to play there he ends up being very busy pressing players all over the pitch, basically not where a 6 should be.
Why do you have to be just an ass? why guido? can you have a conversation without pissing everybody.
with respect mate your post has nothing to do with tactics i don't caare our Midfield sucks do you now get the point. fucks sake man...

Angry Face Palm GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Didnt we beat City with a clean sheet aswell playing Lo Celso and Winks as defensive midfielders under Mourinho? I would like to see Lo Celso next to Skipp with Ndombele, Hojbjerg or even Dele in the more offensive position, think it would give us a bit more creativity from the defensive end and allow us to build up play better.

Didnt we beat City with a clean sheet aswell playing Lo Celso and Winks as defensive midfielders under Mourinho? I would like to see Lo Celso next to Skipp with Ndombele, Hojbjerg or even Dele in the more offensive position, think it would give us a bit more creativity from the defensive end and allow us to build up play better.

Many expecting Winks to step in for suspended Winks. Really hoping the boys kick their fitness into high gear and we see Lo Celso, Ndombele & PEH midfield.

Back
Top Bottom