MIDFIELD!!!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They are basically only two decent mids in our squad Holberg and Skipp and thats it.

Locelso - is bang average and the worst thing is always injured so there is no consistency with him.

Dele - doesnt have the tools to be a mid he is a second striker and a very limited one as well

Ndombele- talent yes no passion no grit no consistency.

WInks- destroyed his career when he was played as a dm so he instinct is to play safe side to side and he cant tackle for shit.

GIL and SARR To be determined.

Even our defense is afraid to pass to the midfielders because they don't trust them for shit.

Ndombele and Dele ( loath to defend them as they're both obviously flawed, Dele in particular has offered nothing in his last 4 appearances) really aren't the main culprits in us conceding 3 first half goals.

Heading into a game intending to punt the ball long and have these thoroughly unsuitable players hoover up loose balls, that's where the issue is. It's a stretch to say they even played in midfield at the weekend. A manager can make a decent midfield out of Skipp, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Gio. I'm not sure if this manager can, but it can be done. Dele seems a spent force.

Last edited:
I’ve watched the replay of Woolwich game a number of times. I think our midfield is a big problem. Here’s why.
1. Woolwich put our CB’s under pressure (pressing) and they hoof the ball forward. We looked like a longball team for a significant part of the match because the midfield didn’t present options.
2. Neither PEH nor Skipp are go forward players. Skipp in particular only passes sideways or backwards. When he passes backwards it puts our CB’s under pressure and they hoof the ball forward. See 1.
3. i think PEH was the worst player on the pitch. He didn’t DM and he didn’t go forward. He seemed to be a passenger.
4. Ndombele was quite good. Whenever he got the ball he was looking to go forward and create something. He wasn’t passing responsibility to his teammates like PEH and Winks Skipp
5. We were slow in transition. We won the ball in Woolwich half a few times but people then sat on the ball and waited for support. Also meant Woolwich got organised. We don’t seem to have the counterattacking confidence we had in the Man City game.
6. First two Woolwich goals happened from where the DM should be ie. cutbacks. I can’t blame the CB’s for that.

tl/dr? Here’s the summary
- I didn’t think Ndombele had a bad game.
- PEH was shite
- Dele was better than PEH
- Skipp’s passing is no better than Winks.
- midfield needs to present options for CB’s when in possession

I’ve watched the replay of Woolwich game a number of times. I think our midfield is a big problem. Here’s why.
1. Woolwich put our CB’s under pressure (pressing) and they hoof the ball forward. We looked like a longball team for a significant part of the match because the midfield didn’t present options.
2. Neither PEH nor Skipp are go forward players. Skipp in particular only passes sideways or backwards. When he passes backwards it puts our CB’s under pressure and they hoof the ball forward. See 1.
3. i think PEH was the worst player on the pitch. He didn’t DM and he didn’t go forward. He seemed to be a passenger.
4. Ndombele was quite good. Whenever he got the ball he was looking to go forward and create something. He wasn’t passing responsibility to his teammates like PEH and Winks Skipp
5. We were slow in transition. We won the ball in Woolwich half a few times but people then sat on the ball and waited for support. Also meant Woolwich got organised. We don’t seem to have the counterattacking confidence we had in the Man City game.
6. First two Woolwich goals happened from where the DM should be ie. cutbacks. I can’t blame the CB’s for that.

- PEH was shite

Have to agree with most of that. For whatever reason, Holjberg kept progressing forward into the opposition half. When Skipp wasn't on the field this was leaving a huge gap in midfield and our CB's completely exposed - especially since our full backs had also pushed up.

Given that it happened the entire first half, I can only assume this was the instruction has was given.

My only guess is that the tactic for the first half was

1. Get the ball to Sanchez
2. Full backs to half way line, midfield 3 to final 3rd, front 3 end of 18 yard box.
3. Sanchez play long ball to Kane.
4. Kane knock out to the wings.

This didn't work at all since Kane lost the ball EVERY TIME. He has bad ankles and doesn't compete for headers effectively anymore.

As soon as we lost the ball, our midfield 3 and fullbacks were way out of defensive shape and it was then a mad dash (or light stroll for Ndombele) to get back in position.

All the while Nano stood motionless and silent with his arms folded on the sidelines.

- PEH was shite
You are certainly a glutton for punishment watching the game again. So stunned by what I was watching I cannot really comment on what was going wrong and did not listen to the pundits discussing it. In a previous game, I think the Watford game many criticised the defensive nature of midfield in playing Skipp and Hojbjerg and yet it did stabilise the midfield in the 2nd half. Despite conceding 9 goals in our last 3 PL matches it is the fact we have only scored 4 in 6 matches that is still the problem. I really do not see playing 2 defensively minded Midfielders is a long term option to win matches but maybe to stop losing.

- PEH was shite
A few good points but Ndombelly was gash throughout but not alone

A few good points but Ndombelly was gash throughout but not alone
Some good points above. I thought NDom did ok too, better than PEH and Dele who are atrocious footballers. Been almost 12 months since PEH looked good, he’s woeful. Face facts

Re: Skipp passing backwards, that needs to be coached out of him - he’s seen PEH do it. Will help having Romero and Rodon at CB (Tangana too) rather than shitcunt Sanchez and simpleton Dier

Some good points above. I thought NDom did ok too, better than PEH and Dele who are atrocious footballers. Been almost 12 months since PEH looked good, he’s woeful. Face facts
Well they’re making excuses for PEH saying he’s been overplayed and thus tired

Bless him

They are basically only two decent mids in our squad Holberg and Skipp and thats it.

Locelso - is bang average and the worst thing is always injured so there is no consistency with him.

Dele - doesnt have the tools to be a mid he is a second striker and a very limited one as well

Ndombele- talent yes no passion no grit no consistency.

WInks- destroyed his career when he was played as a dm so he instinct is to play safe side to side and he cant tackle for shit.

GIL and SARR To be determined.

Even our defense is afraid to pass to the midfielders because they don't trust them for shit.
With respect mate, your post has nothing to do with "tactics".

Tactics are what Nuno has instructed those players to do. If Nuno wants his 8's to play wide and/or high then that's on him. If he wants his 6 to be pressing the oppo DM on the edge of their box (whilst both the 6's are wide/high up the pitch also) then that's on him.

It doesn't matter who or what the personnel is, this is what Nuno asked of them.

The only player that has shown repeatedly a compleat lack of discipline in midfield is PEH when he's asked to play as our 6, as everytime he's asked to play there he ends up being very busy pressing players all over the pitch, basically not where a 6 should be.

Well they’re making excuses for PEH saying he’s been overplayed and thus tired

Bless him
PEH has one strength, if he is mopping up with another team mate near him. That's it.

Left on his own he seems to have no real attributes other than to rant, scowl, flail his arms and talk.

His whole "Brilliant player" thing only came about because he kept Winks out of the team.

Future Captain?? That really was a funny

- PEH was shite

Dele better than PEH? I could find you the stats, but meh

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom