Mike Dean

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I bet those that believe in VAR will use it as a reason it should be used - they have come out and said all decisions were correct, all this goes into the 98% of decisions right from VAR.
Players hate it, managers hate it and fans hate it.
A strong “it’s not football anymore” movement, a few walk outs and it’s done I reckon

Players hate it, managers hate it and fans hate it.
A strong “it’s not football anymore” movement, a few walk outs and it’s done I reckon
Much as we would want that to be true VAR is probably here to stay, rolled out across Europe the TV companies love it, and after all they are the paymasters. Managers, players, fans in the ground ... meh we don't count. The billions who watch the telly that's what matters and VAR generates more TV minutes than pretty much anything else.

They need to get it working properly ... but do they want to ... controversy is TV gold I'm not at all sure they don't make some calls just to create controversy ... then of course there is LiVARpool to consider, what would they do without it?

I didn't think it was a red card tbh, looked like Sterling's foot scuffed off the top of the ball and for me there was no intent whatsoever. At full speed this happens so so quickly and everything looks far worse in slow motion.

The big gap between the tackle and the penalty was absurd, I kind of hate VAR.

Bring back tackling and dodgy offsides tbh.

I didn't think it was a red card tbh, looked like Sterling's foot scuffed off the top of the ball and for me there was no intent whatsoever. At full speed this happens so so quickly and everything looks far worse in slow motion.

The big gap between the tackle and the penalty was absurd, I kind of hate VAR.

Bring back tackling and dodgy offsides tbh.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with intent and is more about endangerment. Looked up the rule and it is about endangering the safety of the opponent.

Agree with you re tackles and dodgy offsides.

I think the problem we have with dodgy tackles is that we seem to get one every week that is lucky to get a yellow. Robertson, Cantwell, Capoue etc. The fact it happens nearly every week when they are so rare normally means that it isn't going unnoticed by opposing teams.

Last edited:

DERMOT SAYS: "When I saw it in real time, I thought yellow card. When I saw the replay, my immediate reaction was red card. When I look at it again there are a number of factors here. It doesn't look good but Alli does actually get a touch on the ball. Sterling is studs up and he's quite clearly going for the ball. Because he's studs up, he hasn't got any intensity and I think that's what has saved him. It's not a good tackle but he hasn't lunged. It's not a red card offence.

"The difference between the Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Ben Godfrey red card is that they both go to ground. They are both horizontal, Sterling's not."

I kind of agree with most of this.

DERMOT SAYS: "When I saw it in real time, I thought yellow card. When I saw the replay, my immediate reaction was red card. When I look at it again there are a number of factors here. It doesn't look good but Alli does actually get a touch on the ball. Sterling is studs up and he's quite clearly going for the ball. Because he's studs up, he hasn't got any intensity and I think that's what has saved him. It's not a good tackle but he hasn't lunged. It's not a red card offence.

"The difference between the Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Ben Godfrey red card is that they both go to ground. They are both horizontal, Sterling's not."

I kind of agree with most of this.
Say it quietly so do I

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom