Millwall

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just been on the news the council have approved a compulsory purchase order of land around their ground ,including their car park and their community trust building. It will be sold to a developer and accommodation built and called "New Bermondsey".
Bit of a kick in the kyber for the club ,me thinks.
Whatever your view on the Lions, you have to feel for them as it's obvious their council don't give a "flying" about them. Unless I am reading it wrong, which is possibly.

I have a bit of respect for Millwall as their fans have had very little to cheer about down the years, plus they hate West Ham as much as I do.

Could you imagine if Millwall was having these issues for every home match like the Spammers? They would be kicked out of the football league. Look they have their reputation and some would say its deserved but its clearly a double standard compared to their rivals

Councillors are bigger cunts than MP's

Most of the ones I've met come across as mentally small people who pursue the career to give themselves a sense of power/importance. Generally they're incredibly self serving and get by because no one ever goes to council elections!

Decisions they make are so obviously based around lining their pockets or adding to council coffers, yet seems to pass with no resistance

Met quite a few in my line of work (no not sex work)

Councillors are bigger cunts than MP's

Most of the ones I've met come across as mentally small people who pursue the career to give themselves a sense of power/importance. Generally they're incredibly self serving and get by because no one ever goes to council elections!

Decisions they make are so obviously based around lining their pockets or adding to council coffers, yet seems to pass with no resistance

Met quite a few in my line of work (no not sex work)

Councillors are to MP's what Traffic Wardens are to The Police Force!

No one particularly likes either... but if you had to choose!!!

I don't understand why they wouldn't be bending over to accomodate Millwall ? It isn't the most glamorous part of London, I think its safe to say if the club leaves it would get worse? IT has to be the best money generator in the area and probably helps a number of businesses as well.

I don't understand why they wouldn't be bending over to accomodate Millwall ? It isn't the most glamorous part of London, I think its safe to say if the club leaves it would get worse? IT has to be the best money generator in the area and probably helps a number of businesses as well.

The council will make 100 times more off homes being built there than 10k of knuckle draggers turning up 20 times a season.

Still a shame for the club though.

The council will make 100 times more off homes being built there than 10k of knuckle draggers turning up 20 times a season.

Still a shame for the club though.

I used to live round there between Queens Rd Peckham and backing onto New Cross Rd. Goldsmiths is the biggest draw to the area with property sales the next driver. The place we were rented was sold for good money, tarted up a bit then rented out at a premium. The transport links are actually very good there now so the rental / property market is booming. The ground is kind of tucked away and other than the odd burger stall there is not to much commercial activity (other than pre and post match boozing.) I really enjoyed living there as it still had a working class close community feel and pubs where people found out who you were and opened up if you were friendly. I can see the new artisan bakeries and hipster pubs have crept in it will soon be Shorditch MKIII but hey ho.

They will make more from gentrification than to preserve the millwall brand with the hooliganism and BNP connotations.

Can't say I know any millwall lads (not even in traveling did I meet them) but it's always a shame to see how proper football is treated in the UK. Once supporters realize they are quite a large pressure group by their own the political class and corporate sods will stop bullying them around

I used to live round there between Queens Rd Peckham and backing onto New Cross Rd. Goldsmiths is the biggest draw to the area with property sales the next driver. The place we were rented was sold for good money, tarted up a bit then rented out at a premium. The transport links are actually very good there now so the rental / property market is booming. The ground is kind of tucked away and other than the odd burger stall there is not to much commercial activity (other than pre and post match boozing.) I really enjoyed living there as it still had a working class close community feel and pubs where people found out who you were and opened up if you were friendly. I can see the new artisan bakeries and hipster pubs have crept in it will soon be Shorditch MKIII but hey ho.

Yeah that is the plan

Lived in London for over a decade and that neck of the woods is one of the only places I felt a bit unsafe. Not a nice atmosphere at all

Didn't they discover this was a scam?
The company that is going to build on the land has shady offshore hidden owners, except one.... The ex council leader who started the project...

I'm sure I read that somewhere

Not that it would be a first choice, but if they were forced to move I know of a rental option less than 5 miles away where for 2.5 million pounds you can rent a solution for 99 years !

Now that could work....what's the flaw in that plan ?

Not that it would be a first choice, but if they were forced to move I know of a rental option less than 5 miles away where for 2.5 million pounds you can rent a solution for 99 years !

Now that could work....what's the flaw in that plan ?
haha that would be lovely.

Areas like that are like gold dust for developers. The fact it ain't glamorous means prices are cheaper, but they know it'll gentrify. Morally, though, it's a different thing. If Millwall were a Premier League club with a more middle class fan base then the developers/council would see it as a plus. I wonder what will happen to them.

Just been on the news the council have approved a compulsory purchase order of land around their ground ,including their car park and their community trust building. It will be sold to a developer and accommodation built and called "New Bermondsey".
Bit of a kick in the kyber for the club ,me thinks.
Whatever your view on the Lions, you have to feel for them as it's obvious their council don't give a "flying" about them. Unless I am reading it wrong, which is possibly.

I have a bit of respect for Millwall as their fans have had very little to cheer about down the years, plus they hate West Ham as much as I do.
Does it mean that Millwall will have to move? Or is the problem that after they do this, they might then get another CPO for the ground itself? Plus the fact they lose their trust building and they can't expand their stadium.

Back
Top Bottom