Missing out on CL could be catastrophic for us

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s too early to say we have no chance at CL this season but it’s not looking too bright with the way things are now in PL. We would be lucky to get top 6

I don't know why people even think we will get top 6 at this rate, if we lose to Everton we could literally be 1 point off the relegation zone.

And I don't fancy this manager to get us out of a relegation battle.

CL qualification is the biggest load of bollocks in world football. It doesn't affect which players you get and the revenues, although generous, only really kick in at the latter stages. They are dwarfed by overall PL money.

You get good players and managers by paying them lots and lots of money.

Do that, they'll come.

We would lose maybe £50m, but catastrophic is a stretch. Our floor is going to be £350m going forward.
It’s not just the money, even though the money is important it’s the pedigree of being a CL club that’s important. There’s no way we would get Ndombele or Lo Celso if we were not consistently in the CL...

CL qualification is the biggest load of bollocks in world football. It doesn't affect which players you get and the revenues, although generous, only really kick in at the latter stages. They are dwarfed by overall PL money.

You get good players and managers by paying them lots and lots of money.

Do that, they'll come.
You’re just saying that to make yourself feel better. If 2 English clubs offered a player a similar wage they would 99% of the time choose the team that’s consistently been in the CL compared to the team playing Europa or not in Europe at all

I don't know why people even think we will get top 6 at this rate, if we lose to Everton we could literally be 1 point off the relegation zone.

And I don't fancy this manager to get us out of a relegation battle.
Don't think we get near top 4 or relegation. A nice relaxing mid table season. The noughties are back in fashion.

I agree with OP. It will be catastrophic for us with all the new faces/changes needed in the transfer market. We don't overpay so we won't get top players to come without CL football. We're fucked.

If 2 English clubs offered a player a similar wage they would 99% of the time choose the team that’s consistently been in the CL compared to the team playing Europa or not in Europe at all

Nah. If it was between us and UTD, they'd chose UTD because they'll pay them £75k a week more in wages. And UTD are in the Europa. Woolwich still get players. Chelsea have been fine.

If we want to land who we want, we need to start regularly paying £200k a week. Obscene, yes. But the reality.

It’s not just the money, even though the money is important it’s the pedigree of being a CL club that’s important. There’s no way we would get Ndombele or Lo Celso if we were not consistently in the CL...
One year is not going to change much in terms of perception. And Lo Celso and Ndombele are already here. Plenty of good players at lower level clubs across Europe. One year is a blip, two is a trend.

Still 84 points to be had this season so let’s not throw ourselves off the balcony just yet.

You’re just saying that to make yourself feel better. If 2 English clubs offered a player a similar wage they would 99% of the time choose the team that’s consistently been in the CL compared to the team playing Europa or not in Europe at all
Then we would easily get the player. The other big teams offer much higher wages.

Nah. If it was between us and UTD, they'd chose UTD because they'll pay them £75k a week more in wages. And UTD are in the Europa. Woolwich still get players. Chelsea have been fine.

If we want to land who we want, we need to start regularly paying £200k a week. Obscene, yes. But the reality.
Did you ignore what I said? I said if both clubs offered similar wages they would choose the CL club 9 times out of 10 mate which shows that CL is a big factor. The kind of players we need to win will have interest from CL clubs, that’s a no brainer...

Then we would easily get the player. The other big teams offer much higher wages.
What? You’re saying we would easily get the player if us without CL offered the same wage as Woolwich who have consistently been in the CL?? (In this hypothetical situation)

Back
Top Bottom