Missing out on CL could be catastrophic for us

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Buying players is mainly about money. You only have to look at when the likes of United or Chelsea miss out on CL or Europe all together, they still get their targets.

the CL was important to generate the cash flow to pay for the stadium. The rest of the debt is now financed out for many years and we are done. considering the scale of the stadium as well as the premium ticket prices no fan needs to accept the club not buying the players we need at the going rate.

the stadium was a genuine legitimate reason to be frugal, ENIC now have no legitimate excuses CL or no CL to not invest and get the players the club needs. While City and United are in a different league, we should be competing with Woolwich, Chelsea even Liverpool going forward.

I meant Real Salt Lake City mate.

But also Real Madrid are 1 point behind Barcelona, and go top with a win, so hardly out of the running.
I know what you're getting at, but I've been watching and following them this year and nowts changed. They're getting results on rep atm. A clusterfuck on a par with us.

Barca not much better, mind.

Just don't see Harry eyeing that paticular club up atm. He seems like the kind of fella, IF, he were to go anywhere, would go to a Bayern or Juventus before be a Galactico.

I know what you're getting at, but I've been watching and following them this year and nowts changed. They're getting results on rep atm. A clusterfuck on a par with us.

Barca not much better, mind.

Just don't see Harry eyeing that paticular club up atm. He seems like the kind of fella, IF, he were to go anywhere, would go to a Bayern or Juventus before be a Galactico.
You're probably right. I just lazily picked Real as that's where our mega transfers have ended up before.

I think missing out on the CL would give levy and ENIC something to think about along with poch for whoever's decided that it's alright not to buy for two transfer windows seriously got it fucking wrong.
If we continue to sit in mid table the attendance figures will drop off and seeing as our greedy owners charge top dollar for 10 cents performances it will highlight their collective incompetence.

It won't be catastrophic as we don't spend at a level where the Champions League money is vital to us. Obviously having £50m-£100m less will make its mark in areas but the profit made from top 4 has always been safeguarded to ensure that we never fall flat on our face if we don't qualify.

It won't help that's for sure but I don't see it being catastrophic, it was bound to happen sooner or later with there being 6 teams pushing for those 4 places and a potential 7th now that Leicester look the part.

Here’s all the players from Liverpool’s first team that NOBODY here would have wanted when they were available.

Allison
Roberston
Arnold (if he was offered to us from their academy)
Henderson
Firminho
Matip
Wijnaldum
Fabinho

WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

THEY BOUGHT ALL THE WORLD CLASS PLAYERS IN THE WORLD WAAAAAAHHHHH
You think "NOBODY" on here would have wanted us to sign Allison, Firmino, Wijnaldum or Fabinho?

Are you on crack?

Personally, I think missing out on the CL would do us some good and shake things up a bit. We've turned into what Woolwich were 10 years ago; hanging on to the same old team, losing a bit of it each year and deluding themselves that everything was ok because they kept qualifying for the CL and their manager won them the league in 1898 and 1904.

Everyone thought it was over when Keane and Berbatov left in the summer of 2008 but it was just the beginning. We got into the CL two years later with a far less impressive strike partnership and a much better attitude within the squad. We learned that less can be more.

If we don't qualify for the CL, it will separate the players who want the glitz and glamour from the players who want to play for us and believe in what we can achieve. We'll come back stronger, with a very different team to the one we have now, and win the Premiership.

Personally, I think missing out on the CL would do us some good and shake things up a bit. We've turned into what Woolwich were 10 years ago; hanging on to the same old team, losing a bit of it each year and deluding themselves that everything was ok because they kept qualifying for the CL and their manager won them the league in 1898 and 1904.

Everyone thought it was over when Keane and Berbatov left in the summer of 2008 but it was just the beginning. We got into the CL two years later with a far less impressive strike partnership and a much better attitude within the squad. We learned that less can be more.

If we don't qualify for the CL, it will separate the players who want the glitz and glamour from the players who want to play for us and believe in what we can achieve. We'll come back stronger, with a very different team to the one we have now, and win the Premiership.
Win the premier League :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :levyeyes:

Rather that than 5th-6th.

Not for me.

I'm all in for a EL run if it comes to it... Highly effective way to blood players (we've missed it in that respect.... KWP, Llorented, Lucas, Skipp, Jansen, Foyth, Sanchez all would have benefited (whilst domestic cups can be over as quick as they start) and if shit get's real domestically you can always abort.

Rather win that than a poxy FA or LC too.

Also, if we bagged 5th (narrowly missing out on 4th), it would suggest we'd done a pretty good job of turning our season around.

7th or 8th would suggest we continued to be pretty fucked all season.

Last edited:
Yeah funny because nobody said a word about any of them before they went to the scousers

I actually fancied Wijnaldum to do a job for us by means of us picking at the corpse of a fallen Newcastle, but winced at the 26m Liverpool paid.... Then we paid 30m for the big man in a 'hold my beer' moment. :levywtf:

In theory it sounds ok, but we will still
Suuure they didn't.:pocheyes:
Yeah ok everyone wanted them

Back
Top Bottom