Missing out on CL could be catastrophic for us

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are in better shape financially than most clubs our size. I think that will show in years to come. We will be more than fine

Absolutely. All the tight fistedness we have demonstrated may have held us back slightly in certain areas but one thing it has also done is protected us should we fail to get top four. We haven't blown our TV money or European qualification money on a big risk signing or two so the damage will be less felt, especially when you consider the revenue we will make with the larger capacity and the new pay back structure we have got ourselves.

Obviously it will hurt the club but let's be honest we are lucky to be in it this year after capitulating in the late stages of last season so I won't get too angry if we slip up this year or next etc. We are a well run club financially which always makes moments like this a little easier to deal with.

Last edited:
We chose not to spend because of our stadium, which was a gamble depending on us retaining CL status. If we fail to get CL this year we would have to rebuild the squad without being able to attract CL level calibre of players or managers, which makes the decision not to spend look even more stupid. Some players may start getting their heads turned too and we will end up signing mediocre players hoping to get back into the CL again....

We just spent big this summer so Levy et al probably expected us to get CL easily this year, which is why I can see him not giving us much money again if we miss out
5 years in the CL and I’m not sure we have signed any “CL calibre” player during that time, so I don’t think missing out on it will make one difference to our transfer policy, it will be the same old same old.....
What I’d be more concerned about is Kane looking at things and weighing up his options, I said it before that he is contracted to 2024 so in all reality he would need to be sold 2022 to get maximum mega dollars for him, maybe even sooner due to age.....
We have fucked this project up good and proper!!

Breakdown of prize money for 2019/20 Champions League
  1. Reaching the group stages: 15 million euros
  2. Reaching the round of 16: 9.5 million euros
  3. Reaching the quarter-finals: 10.5 million euros
  4. Reaching the semi-finals: 12 million euros
  5. Reaching the final: 15 million euros
  6. Winning the final: 4 million euros

UEFA will also pay teams 2.7 million euros for every match they win and 900,000 euros for every match they draw.

Europa League
The Europa League is set up in a similar way to the Champions League, with teams being rewarded for progressing through the different stages, but there isn't nearly as much prize money on offer.

Breakdown of prize money for 2019/20 Europa League
  1. Reaching the group stages: 2.75 million euros
  2. Reaching the round of 32: 500,000 euros
  3. Reaching the round of 16: 1.1 million euros
  4. Reaching the quarter-finals: 1.5 million euros
  5. Reaching the semi-finals: 2.4 million euros
  6. Reaching the final: 4.5 million euros
  7. Winning the final: 4 million euros

The winners of the Champions League get the same as the winners of the Europa League?!! How the hell can both receive the same €4m? That doesn't make sense to me.

Also a ten year coefficient kicks in this year I believe, with around €585m of prize money to be distributed amongst the 32 teams. The lowest ranked gets €1m, the highest gets something like €35m. As it stands I think we are roughly 12th so if it stays that way it's roughly an extra €20m in our sky rockets, not to mention the TV revenue.

€3.6m already earned in result bonuses, hopefully a further €15m should we get out of the group, if we get a bit of fortune with the draw and pull a Leipzig or a Zenit then potentiallly a further €9.5m along with the €20m coefficient coin and we could easily end up with €50m BEFORE TV money. Get through the group stages and past the first knockout stage and that's Lo Celso paid for. Fucking hell no wonder Levy obsessed about us getting Champions League football for so long !

Last edited:
A couple of Club trained and HG player spots available to the right players though.

And whilst I don't often post tweets from other club supporters :

Poch needed to have been playing many more of Spurs youth and/or loaning them out for experience over the last 5 years. That and poor buying is coming back to haunt us.

Change those 2 things and this may be a blip, but it certainly wont sink us

None of those kids have completed a full season + ECL campaign. History tells us they will likely burn out mentally and physically before the season ends. I'd be surprised if Chelsea's good form continues into the new year.

Remember, we have only played 9 out of 38 games. 29 games to go....plus domestic cup, europe etc....Its very early doors.

If you went back a decade we have only spent 87million that's less than 10 million a year.

Something to be proud of.......not ashamed of!

Where is the ambition when you are being outspend by minnows Bournemouth??

Did Bournemouth build world class training facilities?

Did Bournemouth build a 1 billion pound stadium?

Levy is preparing the club for the next 25 years.

The target for this squad was to get regular European football and into the new stadium. That was achieved on a budget other clubs could only dream of.

We are now building a new squad and the old guard being shifted (Toby, Jan, Rose, Eriksen, Aurier, Wanyama, Lloris). We have spend 160m on players in the summer (Clarke, Sess, Ndom, Lo Celso), we have experienced players who still have many years to offer (Kane, Son, Alli, Dier, Davis, Lamela, Sissoko) and young players with excellent potential (Sanchez, Foyth, Winks, Skipp, Tanganga)

There are still more players than need to come it and yes, there may be some pain this season and next but every single team has a cycle for each squad - even Barca, Real, Bayern struggled during rebuilds.

I think it is fair to say that our club is the envy of world football.

Might make attracting bench fodder for Poch a bit more difficult

Poch might be our main problem for attracting young players, just because they *will* be bench fodder.

If you were young and ambitious, is Poch the sort of manager that will trust you and throw you in the deep end?

He goes on about bravery but is the most risk-averse manager going.

Poch might be our main problem for attracting young players, just because they *will* be bench fodder.

If you were young and ambitious, is Poch the sort of manager that will trust you and throw you in the deep end?

He goes on about bravery but is the most risk-averse manager going.

He's turning into Mourinho from what it seems... with him not trusting youth and all the ridiculous interviews he's offering. Except he only seems to have picked up Mourinho's bad traits... There's nothing to show that he can replicate Mourinho's success to any degree.

Some people thought not spending was a good idea and wanted to see us rely on promoting youth.
Others, although not supporting it, still tried to justify it.
A few, like me, predicted the fucking mess that's unfolding before our eyes today.

And a few of us understood we were building a new stadium that meant we had to go through a period of austerity to get the stadium, knowing the upfront investment would minimise the long term debt. Sure we'd have loved to have signed 'x' superstar during this period, keep pedelling the lie that we didn't want to sign players.... We just realised we had to accept the clubs position and that eventually this approach would pay dividends in the long run...... Not within 6 months of the stadium opening like some expected.

We also understand that there was money to spend during this period and that during the windows we didn't sign anyone, Poch did have funds and we did try for players he wanted ie DeJong. We just accepted when the club weren't successful with these bids, Poch decided to stay with what he had.

Some of our fans fail to accept/believe any of this and keep regurgitating the same old shite day in day out because they know better than Poch/the club and continue to bore the fuck out of the rest of us.

None of those kids have completed a full season + ECL campaign. History tells us they will likely burn out mentally and physically before the season ends. I'd be surprised if Chelsea's good form continues into the new year.

Remember, we have only played 9 out of 38 games. 29 games to go....plus domestic cup, europe etc....Its very early doors.

Some of the former Chelsea youth players will not be starters in all Chelsea matches - that is undoubtedly true. But they will be squad players available for rotation, and some being u21 will be in addition to whatever over 21's Chelsea have got. And this seasons squad players may become major players for Chelsea in the coming seasons - and that's the approach Spurs need to take with some of their youth players like Skipp, Tanganga, Parrott et al who will/could probably play less than say 25% of games for Spurs this season. But that could be a useful boost for us this season - with the bigger advantage probably in coming seasons if the become First team players (whether squad or not)

In terms of the Chelsea players, Tammy Abraham scored 26 goals in 40 appearances for Villa in the Championship (I think the highest scoring player for Villa in about 20 years), so I'd not expect him to have burnout this season in PL, and the same possibly for Mount. IMO Abraham could be the improvement on last season that might make them top 4 contenders, which is clearly a worry.

Agreed its still early days for Spurs this season, but I do hope Poch changes a few things from the early games soon eg. not using as much some players who will not be here (hopefully) at Spurs next season, playing more youth..... and ditching the diamond.

Breakdown of prize money for 2019/20 Champions League
  1. Reaching the group stages: 15 million euros
  2. Reaching the round of 16: 9.5 million euros
  3. Reaching the quarter-finals: 10.5 million euros
  4. Reaching the semi-finals: 12 million euros
  5. Reaching the final: 15 million euros
  6. Winning the final: 4 million euros

UEFA will also pay teams 2.7 million euros for every match they win and 900,000 euros for every match they draw.

Europa League
The Europa League is set up in a similar way to the Champions League, with teams being rewarded for progressing through the different stages, but there isn't nearly as much prize money on offer.

Breakdown of prize money for 2019/20 Europa League
  1. Reaching the group stages: 2.75 million euros
  2. Reaching the round of 32: 500,000 euros
  3. Reaching the round of 16: 1.1 million euros
  4. Reaching the quarter-finals: 1.5 million euros
  5. Reaching the semi-finals: 2.4 million euros
  6. Reaching the final: 4.5 million euros
  7. Winning the final: 4 million euros

The winners of the Champions League get the same as the winners of the Europa League?!! How the hell can both receive the same €4m? That doesn't make sense to me.

Also a ten year coefficient kicks in this year I believe, with around €585m of prize money to be distributed amongst the 32 teams. The lowest ranked gets €1m, the highest gets something like €35m. As it stands I think we are roughly 12th so if it stays that way it's roughly an extra €20m in our sky rockets, not to mention the TV revenue.

€3.6m already earned in result bonuses, hopefully a further €15m should we get out of the group, if we get a bit of fortune with the draw and pull a Leipzig or a Zenit then potentiallly a further €9.5m along with the €20m coefficient coin and we could easily end up with €50m BEFORE TV money. Get through the group stages and past the first knockout stage and that's Lo Celso paid for. Fucking hell no wonder Levy obsessed about us getting Champions League football for so long !

It gores without saying that most Spurs fans would like to be in CL, and CL clearly would give us a large pot of money each year which is kind of useful when rebuilding the squad, and it cant hurt in recruiting players (and retaining players) to say we are in CL.

However when the new stadium was being planned and financed Spurs were not CL regulars. And I'd bet that the financial models which the banks would have demanded to see before lending us the money would NOT have shown us receiving CL money each year - my guess is that the base model would have shown CL money coming in maybe every 3rd season. And our last 3 or 4 seasons of CL competition and revenues has been over achieving.

So not being in CL for a year or two is certainly not catastrophic (to answer the thread title). Its just preferable to get CL football

if We miss out on the CL then we may as well miss out on the EL as well and have the extra rest midweek, I still think with decent full backs someone to replace jan and a Proper DM and we could challenge City and pool next season with no midweek games to worry about, but is poch the man to do it? If he has the balls to drop underperforming players then maybe ,

gazza
New Rb. Sanchez. New LB. new LB
New DM
Ndombele. GLC
Moura. Kane. Son.
Great teams will manage midweek games, we can't see ourselves as challengers while chickening out of the chance of winning a trophy.

Something to be proud of.......not ashamed of!

Did Bournemouth build world class training facilities?

Did Bournemouth build a 1 billion pound stadium?

Levy is preparing the club for the next 25 years.

The target for this squad was to get regular European football and into the new stadium. That was achieved on a budget other clubs could only dream of.

We are now building a new squad and the old guard being shifted (Toby, Jan, Rose, Eriksen, Aurier, Wanyama, Lloris). We have spend 160m on players in the summer (Clarke, Sess, Ndom, Lo Celso), we have experienced players who still have many years to offer (Kane, Son, Alli, Dier, Davis, Lamela, Sissoko) and young players with excellent potential (Sanchez, Foyth, Winks, Skipp, Tanganga)

There are still more players than need to come it and yes, there may be some pain this season and next but every single team has a cycle for each squad - even Barca, Real, Bayern struggled during rebuilds.

I think it is fair to say that our club is the envy of world football.
But the laughing stock of the premier league at the moment......

Can you list every PL club who has won a trophy in the last 10 years please.

Don't forget a couple of former PL clubs who won the FA cup and were relegated.
Why dont you google it?

Manutd, Chelsea, Liverpool , Woolwich, Mancity, Leicester from the top of my head. Not one single one of them is in envy of our club.

Manutd have won the league and european trophy in that time.
Mancity would never envy us in a million years.
Chavs have won the league and european trophies.
Liverpool have won the CL.
Arse won an FA Cup or two.
Even Leicester would not be in envy of us in any way.

Back
Top Bottom