Modric: "I'm sorry for the way I left..."

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuck him. I fucking hate him.

Great football player but an absolute cunt. Will never forget how he openly told the media that he wanted to join the chavs.

I watch La Ligament regularly - none of what you’ve said makes any sense. He’s having a poor season - fact, but let’s look at some of your other non points.

Age doesn’t make you a poor player - technically not so much but physically absolutely - these are facts.

I never claimed he’s ever been a passenger at Madrid - but at 33 the Prem is a different dynamic. Drawing direct comparison to La Liga makes no sense. Modric’s best years are behind him - to claim otherwise is laughable. He will not come back to the Prems and be the same player he was for us back then - if you think he will be - you need help

Sissoko should be nowhere near the team when Winks is fit - so who does Modric replace - Winks or Dembele?

Poch has never invested in an older player other than Llorente as a stop gap who was mostly free. There is no way he would hinder youth development to accommodate him. Not a chance.

Poch accommodated Sanchez because he had no choice with injuries. Why would he change our best formation voluntarily to accommodate an older player who’s past his prime?

None of this makes any sense from either tactical or financial view - you’ve just repeated how great he’s been for Madrid last few seasons - no one disagrees but he’s nowhere near what we need in midfield which is a long term Dembele replacement. This romanticism with Modric and Bale needs to stop - we need to build for the future
You're strawmanning. I haven't said anything about him replacing Dembele. We already have our long-term Dembele replacement, Harry Winks. Dier/Wanyama with Winks is our future CM partnership. All are 26 and under.

Sissoko is near the team when Winks is fit though. So, based on that (whether he should be is not the point, he is), I am looking at Modric to take those 1500 minutes. Not Dembele's or Winks'.

Modric's best years are behind him. I didn't claim otherwise. So for the 2nd time, you're strawmanning. But your best being behind you doesn't make you bad. Lionel Messi's best is also behind him. Doesn't make any less useful, he still does his job just fine, like Modric.

Modric wouldn't hinder youth development. Which CM in our Academy are you suggesting a couple of years of Modric would hinder? Oliver Skipp? He's 17 and won't be ready for a couple years at the earliest. Oakley-Boothe? Also 17. Winks would learn from Modric, like he does with Dembele. As would they all.

Now onto the 3rd thing you've said I've said, which I haven't. ''Just repeated how great he's been last few seasons, no one disagrees''.

Modric has declined considerably...His decline has also been parallel to Real Madrid's woes this season...Modric is finished at the top level

Modric can't be ''finished at the top level'' whilst also agreeing with my assessment that he's been good.

What I've actually said, is about this current season. I didn't mention 2015/16 or 2016/17. The only other seasons I mentioned were his Spurs seasons. So to what I was actually arguing against...He hasn't ''fallen off a cliff'' and refuted your claim that he's having a poor season. Fyi, Modric has been great for many seasons but stick to the words I actually say. Anyone can make stuff up and argue against it.

Poch accommodated Sanchez because of injuries? Toby and Jan lined up next to Sanchez on his debut when we switched to 3 at the back v. Everton. They then lined up with him in our next game v. Dortmund.

So which injury exactly was Poch accommodating for when making this tactical switch?

There are so many other options better than a 33 year old past his prime. Are you honestly saying Modric is our only transfer CM option to replace Dembele long term? Have you been drinking?

Poch would never sanction that. Half of the players mentioned above are not even CMs - wtf?

Hence I said potential CM's. Isco plays AM, but can play CM. All the others could fll that role out of the players on the level of Modric.

Harry Winks is our long term Dembele replacement. Stop putting words in my mouth. I've said over and over I see Modric as a replacement for Sissoko. Anyone can make up something and argue against it to make themself look a genius

Now, you say there are so many other options better than Luka Modric for CM?

Name them.

You're strawmanning. I haven't said anything about him replacing Dembele. We already have our long-term Dembele replacement, Harry Winks. Dier/Wanyama with Winks is our future CM partnership. All are 26 and under.

Sissoko is near the team when Winks is fit though. So, based on that (whether he should be is not the point, he is), I am looking at Modric to take those 1500 minutes. Not Dembele's.

Modric's best years are behind him. I didn't claim otherwise. So for the 2nd time, you're strawmanning. But your best being behind you doesn't make you bad. Lionel Messi's best is also behind him. Doesn't make any less useful, he still does his job just fine, like Modric.

Modric wouldn't hinder youth development. Which CM in our Academy are you suggesting a couple of years of Modric would hinder? Oliver Skipp? He's 17 and won't be ready for a couple years at the earliest. Oakley-Boothe? Also 17. Winks would learn from Modric, like he does with Dembele. As would they all.

Now onto the 3rd thing you've said I've said, which I haven't. ''Just repeated how great he's been last few seasons, no one disagrees''.

Modric can't be ''finished at the top level'' whilst also agreeing with my assessment that he's been good.

What I've actually said, is about this current season. I didn't mention 2015/16 or 2016/17. The only other seasons I mentioned were his Spurs seasons. So to what I was actually arguing against...He hasn't ''fallen off a cliff'' and refuted your claim that he's having a poor season. Fyi, Modric has been great for many seasons but stick to the words I actually say. Anyone can make stuff up and argue against it.

Poch accommodated Sanchez because of injuries? Toby and Jan lined up next to Sanchez on his debut when we switched to 3 at the back v. Everton. They then lined up with him in our next game v. Dortmund.

So which injury exactly was Poch accommodating for when making this tactical switch?

The injury was Toby for the last few months

Out of those 1500 mins Sissoko got how many were while Winks was injured, cup games and out wide? Winks looks promising but we don’t know whether he’ll develop as far as the next Carrick. So we need to make provisions in the meantime with a Dembele replacement for the next 2-3 seasons min

Modric IS playing poorer this season and he mostl definitely WON’T be on the same level he was for us 6-7 years ago. So yes - he is finished at the top Prem level. Pointless signings and one Poch would never sanction. I loved Luka but this one makes no sense at 33

Hence I said potential CM's. Isco plays AM, but can play CM. All the others could fll that role out of the players on the level of Modric.

Harry Winks is our long term Dembele replacement. Stop putting words in my mouth. I've said over and over I see Modric as a replacement for Sissoko. Anyone can make up something and argue against it to make themself look a genius

Now, you say there are so many other options better than Luka Modric for CM?

Name them.
We need to buy the next Modric or Berbatov - not the top 30 players you’ve googled who are all made stars at top club. When have we ever bought such players?

Did you know Modric before he came or ever seen him play? That’s why we pay scouts. Few names that come to mind are Chochev, Cebalos, Pulisic, Soler and even Keita (Liverpool’s target)

Out of those 1500 mins Sissoko got how many were while Winks was injured, cup games and out wide? Winks looks promising but we don’t know whether he’ll develop as far as the next Carrick. So we need to make provisions in the meantime with a Dembele replacement for the next 2-3 seasons min

Modric IS playing poorer this season and he mostl definitely WON’T be on the same level he was for us 6-7 years ago. So yes - he is finished at the top Prem level. Pointless signings and one Poch would never sanction. I loved Luka but this one makes no sense at 33
He changed to 3 at the back before Toby's injury, so long before Toby's injury in fact, that we played with Toby-Sanchez-Jan at the back 9 times before Toby got injured against Real Madrid. Even when Vertonghen covered at LB he stuck to 3 at the back with either Davies or Dier moving in. So no, Poch didn't change the system to accommodate Toby's injury. He changed it to include Sanchez.

So it's you that is looking to replace Dembele, not me. We know more about Winks being a potential heir than some unnamed player your suggesting we bring in. You said there ''so many other options'' better than Luka Modric available for CM.

Could you provide some names?

I didn't say Modric would be on the same level as he was before. I said he'd still be of the requisite quality. Again, stop putting words in my mouth.

Subtle change from ''top level'' to ''top prem level'', I see. Sneaky.

So, about those ''so many better options''? Who you thinking?

We need to buy the next Modric or Berbatov - not the top 30 players you’ve googled who are all made stars at top club. When have we ever bought such players?

Did you know Modric before he came or ever seen him play? That’s why we pay scouts. Few names that come to mind are Chochev, Cebalos, Pulisic, Soler and even Keita (Liverpool’s target)
Pulisic doesn't play CM. Keita is a Liverpool PLAYER not target. Carlos Soler has played RM all season but a nice idea. Chochev plays lower league Italian football and is a better option than Luka Modric? Don't think it's me on the drink. Cebalos is good but plays for Real Madrid, who won't sell and still, he's playing behind Luka Modric, so how is he a better option now than Modric, or in the future better than Winks?

You say we don't know if Winks will succeed. We know a hell of a lot more about Winks' potential at CM for Spurs than any of those players.

He changed to 3 at the back before Toby's injury, so long before Toby's injury in fact, that we played with Toby-Sanchez-Jan at the back 9 times before Toby got injured against Real Madrid. Even when Vertonghen covered at LB he stuck to 3 at the back with either Davies or Dier moving in. So no, Poch didn't change the system to accommodate Toby's injury. He changed it to include Sanchez.

So it's you that is looking to replace Dembele, not me. We know more about Winks being a potential heir than some unnamed player your suggesting we bring in. You said there ''so many other options'' better than Luka Modric available for CM.

Could you provide some names?

I didn't say Modric would be on the same level as he was before. I said he'd still be of the requisite quality. Again, stop putting words in my mouth.

Subtle change from ''top level'' to ''top prem level'', I see. Sneaky.

So, about those ''so many better options''? Who you thinking?
Of course it’s Prem level - are we going to compete in Spain?

Sanchez is 21 and one for the future - why would Poch change a winning formation for a has been player?

Unnamed player? As in lesser known? Like Modric was or Dele or Walker from Sheffield?

I ask again - when has Poch ever done such a Harry signing apart from Llorente?

Pulisic doesn't play CM. Keita is a Liverpool PLAYER not target. Carlos Soler has played RM all season but a nice idea. Chochev plays lower league Italian football and is a better option than Luka Modric? Don't think it's me on the drink. Cebalos is good but plays for Real Madrid, who won't sell and still, he's playing behind Luka Modric, so how is he a better option now than Modric, or in the future better than Winks?

You say we don't know if Winks will succeed. We know a hell of a lot more about Winks' potential at CM for Spurs than any of those players.
Your ignorance is baffling - all those players are EXACTLY the type of player Poch has been bringing in to blood through the ranks instead of some overpaid prima Donna looking for a last paycheck who’s well passed it. That’s why we have Turkey and the MLS. Poch would never bring Modric to keep on the bench and pay massive wages while taking up a spot for the next Winks or Alli.

Sanchez is 21 and one for the future - why would Poch change a winning formation for a has been player?
Now, now. That's not what you said. You said...

Poch accommodated Sanchez because he had no choice with injuries.

I'm just refuting your argument with the facts. Don't change your tune now. Just hold your hands up.

I ask again - when has Poch ever done such a Harry signing apart from Llorente?
Oh, apart from the obvious example. That doesn't count no?

There's alot of things Poch hadn't done before, he's a young manager. He's not going to do the same things now for the rest of his career. He'll evolve. You think Sir Alex Ferguson did the same things at 45 he did at 65?

I think the option of getting one of the best players in the world may sway him to consider something new.

Trying to dismiss Modric as a Harry signing equivalent of Pienaar, Saha and Nelsen is a bit silly.

Do you automatically become a Harry signing when you hit 30?

Lionel Messi is fucked.

why would Poch change a winning formation for a has been player?

Unnamed player? As in lesser known? Like Modric was or Dele or Walker from Sheffield?
I'm saying if we bought Modric, Poch would develop a suitable plan for him whenever he felt like using him. Just like he did with Sanchez. Having more strings to your bow is a good thing. Don't be so scared of change. Poch changed a winning formation from last year just this season, so he's shown he'll adapt and evolve.

Not just lesser known Arc, but lesser quality. Those players you mentioned are not at Luka Modric's level. Nor would they be in the next ''2-3 years min''. I think Winks is a better option than all of them anyway.

Last edited:
Your ignorance is baffling - all those players are EXACTLY the type of player Poch has been bringing in to blood through the ranks instead of some overpaid prima Donna looking for a last paycheck who’s well passed it. That’s why we have Turkey and the MLS. Poch would never bring Modric to keep on the bench and pay massive wages while taking up a spot for the next Winks or Alli.
Bench? Again, he'd replace Sissoko, who has 20 starts this season. Not the next Winks or Dele. Fyi, Winks and Dele are the next Winks and Dele. Their heirs like Oliver Skipp and TAB aren't going to be in the 1st team squad for at least 2 seasons, so no Modric wouldn't be keeping them out.

My ignorance?

You named Pulisic, a winger/wing back as a better option than Luka Modric at CM for Spurs.
You named Naby Keita, a guy who has already signed for Liverpool and will join in July as a better option than Luka Modric at CM for Spurs.
You named Chochev playing in Serie B as a better option than Luka Modric at CM for Spurs.
You named Cebalos, a Real golden boy and their future at CM as a better option at CM for Spurs.
You named Carlos Soler, who's played RM all year as a better option at CM for Spurs.

You then said we changed formation and started Sanchez due to injury. Provably false.

My ignorance indeed.

Great player, but deeply unlikable. Why is he even talking about us anyway? Bad conscience or something? See a shrink you rat faced, Alice band, motherfucker.

Truly fabulous footballer, joy to watch. Joy to argue with so many Spurs fans who for years didn't have a clue what he did, until he left. Real Madrid's best player and has been for at least 2yrs. But he fucked us, I'm not talking about simply leaving either, players of his calibre will leave to the likes of real Madrid whilst quadrupling their wages, he's not a Spurs fan. My complaint is the way he left, no class whatsoever. People should be judged on their actions and his actions stunk the place out. Bet he's trying to butter us up with nice words as he has a book due out or some such, he will rely on Spurs fans to boost the book sales, well not me you rat faced cunt.

Back
Top Bottom