Modric: "I'm sorry for the way I left..."

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There used to be a 12 minute video on YouTube of Modric's performance against Liverpool when we beat them 4-0 at White Hart Lane. Unbelievable performance.

In fact, this may be it.

Luka Modric vs Liverpool 18/09/11 - Video Dailymotion

Won't embed for some reason but worth a watch.

I think he's 25/26 in that clip. If Harry Winks is even half as good as that in 3/4 years then we will save ourselves so much money.

Last edited:
I know I should let it go, but just even the mere mention of that individual, I still want to do unmentionable things to him.....and none of them nice!!!!

I know I should let it go, but just even the mere mention of that individual, I still want to do unmentionable things to him.....and none of them nice!!!!

I’ve mentioned this before, but when I was at school the brother of a friend of mine was in the Spurs youth team. He kept on raving about some of the other youth players, which included Fortune, Caskey, and Judas (Barmby had already broken through by that point).

I remember Judas’ first appearance as a striker. Came on and scored against Chelsea. Watching him switch to CB and become our captain felt particularly special to me as I’d been following his career before he even had one. When he left like that...words can’t describe the disappointment, anger, hatred, and sadness I felt.

Watched every game bar 2. I suggest you go back and watch his latest 3 performances v. Levante, the brilliant Valencia and Deportivo. Then come back and say he's lost it. Real are failing despite Modric's performance's not because of it.

I'm well aware of Real's failings this year, and it has been defensively, conceding a goal a game. Anyone who has watched them knows that. They've conceded the same amount of goals as Levante and Getafe. Varane in particular has been poor for a guy as talented as he is. And their wingbacks are trash defensively.

Modric has never been ''run over'' ever. He still doesn't now despite his supposed ''considerable decline''. So to say he would now is based on nothing but conjecture. Especially since our average possession sits at 61%, third highest in the League.

FYI - Berbatov is 37 playing in India. Not even close to 'equivalent'.
It’s not conjecture - at 33 in the Prem he stands no chance. How can you even claim othherise for someone who supposedly watches continental and Prem football regularly. Notwithstanding the fact Poch prefers youth for number of reasons including relentless energy for our pressing style. Modric would be a luxury player who requires two holders to protect him like Pirlo was at the end at Juventus. Poch would never change our entire tactical setup in order to acccomodate one player past his prime - laughable suggestion

Last edited:
It’s not conjecture - at 33/34 in the Prem he stands no chance. How can you even claim othherise for someone who supposedly watches continental and Prem football regularly. Notwithstanding the fact Poch prefers youth for number of reasons including relentless energy for our pressing style. Modric would be a passenger who requires two holders to protect him like Pirlo was at the end at Juventus. Poch would never change our entire tactical setup in order to acccomodate one player past his prime - laughable suggestion
I can claim otherwise because I'm speaking from a position of having watched and assessed him based on that rather than using conjecture to pretend Modric is suddenly going to develop negative attributes, as you're saying, that he hasn't shown any signs of.

You've claimed he's had a poor season. He hasn't.
You've claimed he'd need ''two holders''. He doesn't now.
You've claimed he'll be a passenger. He's not now.
You've claimed he'll get ''run over''. He doesn't now.

To claim he'll suddenly become these things is conjecture.

Luka Modric is 32, he'll be 33 in September. David Silva is also 32, a player of similar stature and skill, who is still influencing games despite his slight build and age. Age alone doesn't make you a poor player.

As I've mentioned twice now, Modric would be a player for those days where we struggle to break down our opposition. Days where we have 65-70% possession and he would be massively influential. You wouldn't need ''two holders'' on days like that. He wouldn't need two holders anyway, he doesn't now, nor has ever. So again, you're making comments based on conjecture and not fact.

Your comparison to Pirlo is nonsense as they are wholly different players and their needs to thrive are wholly different. Pirlo always needed a Gattuso or Marchisio next to him for his lethargic style, that didn't just suddenly pop up at Juventus and Juventus didn't do that to accommodate Pirlo alone. They had Pogba-Vidal-Pirlo-Marchisio to fit in a single midfield. It was evident throughout his time at Milan. So just like your Berbatov comparison, this is not an equivalent scenario.

And as for Poch changing his entire tactical setup to accommodate Modric. I said Poch has shown himself that formations are fluid to the players he has available at his disposal. Like when Sanchez came in. When Toby got injured, he resorted back to a back 4. He is a manager that is continually evolving and there's no reason that if he were to use Modric he'd have a plan, like he does every player, every game.

Modric isn't a passenger now for Madrid, nor has ever been a passenger in his career. So to suggest he'll suddenly become one is negative conjecture not based on anything but your own fear.

Past his prime is not equal to no longer good. You obviously haven't watched him much this season as you're speaking about stuff that simply isn't evident with Modric this season but things that may come to pass.

Which is better?...

--------------Wanyama---Modric--------------

or...

--------------Wanyama---Sissoko--------------

Then what's the big deal? He would be huge, huge upgrade on Sissoko and a great player for Winks to learn from. Knows the League, knows the club. Has succeeded in the League, has succeeded at the club. Sissoko has nearly 1500 minutes this season. You can't say that those minutes would not be better off in the hands of Luka Modric.

Last edited:
I can claim otherwise because I'm speaking from a position of having watched and assessed him based on that rather than using conjecture to pretend Modric is suddenly going to develop negative attributes, as you're saying that, he hasn't shown any signs of.

You've claimed he'll get ''run over''. He doesn't now.

Luka Modric is 32, he'll be 33 in September. David Silva is also 32, a player of similar stature and skill, who is still influencing games despite his slight build and age. Age alone doesn't make you a poor player.

As I've mentioned twice now, Modric would be a player for those days where we struggle to break down our opposition. Days where we have 65-70% possession and he would be massively influential. You wouldn't need ''two holders'' on days like that. He wouldn't need two holders anyway, he doesn't now, nor has ever. So again, you're making comments based on conjecture and not fact.

Your comparison to Pirlo is nonsense as they are wholly different players and their needs to thrive are wholly different. Pirlo always needed a Gattuso or Marchisio next to him for his lethargic style, that didn't just suddenly pop up at Juventus and Juventus didn't do that to accommodate Pirlo alone. They had Pogba-Vidal-Pirlo-Marchisio to fit in a single midfield. It was evident throughout his time at Milan. So just like your Berbatov comparison, this is not an equivalent scenario.

And as for Poch changing his entire tactical setup to accommodate Modric. I said Poch has shown himself that formations are fluid to the players he has available at his disposal. Like when Sanchez came in. When Toby got injured, he resorted back to a back 4. He is a manager that is continually evolving and there's no reason that if he were to use Modric he'd have a plan, like he does every player, every game.

Modric isn't a passenger now for Madrid, nor has ever been a passenger in his career. So to suggest he'll suddenly become one is negative conjecture not based on anything but your own fear.

Past his prime is not equal to no longer good. You obviously haven't watched him much this season as you're speaking about stuff that simply isn't evident with Modric this season but things that may come to pass.

Which is better?...

or...

Then what's the big deal? He would be huge, huge upgrade on Sissoko and a great player for Winks to learn from. Knows the League, knows the club. Has succeeded in the League, has succeeded at the club. Sissoko has nearly 1500 minutes this season. You can't say that those minutes would not be better off in the hands of Luka Modric.

Modric for a season or two would work wonders for Winksy. I'm all for us getting him in to break teams that sit back against us down. He's ideal for what we need and it wouldn't surprise me if something like this comes off in the summer

I'm happy to debate alternatives in central midfield who are a better option than Luka Modric. If you look at all the end of year lists from football's publications of 2017's best players and midfieders, Modric is unanimoulsy in the top 10 and top 3 respectively.

The 100 best footballers in the world 2017

Scope the nearest potential CM's on that list. And who of those could we get?

Veratti. Not gettable.
Isco. Not gettable.
Kroos. Not gettable.
Busquets. Not gettable.
Rakitic. Not gettable.
Thiago. Not gettable.
Pjanic. Not gettable.

And so on. What better options are there than Modric, if he became available? None, is the answer.

I can claim otherwise because I'm speaking from a position of having watched and assessed him based on that rather than using conjecture to pretend Modric is suddenly going to develop negative attributes, as you're saying that, he hasn't shown any signs of.

Which is better?...

or...

I watch La Liga regularly - none of what you’ve said makes any sense. He’s having a poor season - fact, but let’s look at some of your other non points.

Age doesn’t make you a poor player - technically not so much but physically absolutely - these are facts.

I never claimed he’s ever been a passenger at Madrid - but at 33 the Prem is a different dynamic. Drawing direct comparison to La Liga makes no sense. Modric’s best years are behind him - to claim otherwise is laughable. He will not come back to the Prem and be the same player he was for us back then - if you think he will be - you need help

Sissoko should be nowhere near the team when Winks is fit - so who does Modric replace - Winks or Dembele?

Poch has never invested in an older player other than Llorente as a stop gap who was mostly free. There is no way he would hinder youth development to accommodate him. Not a chance.

Poch accommodated Sanchez because he had no choice with injuries. Why would he change our best formation voluntarily to accommodate an older player who’s past his prime?

None of this makes any sense from either tactical or financial view - you’ve just repeated how great he’s been for Madrid last few seasons - no one disagrees but he’s nowhere near what we need in midfield which is a long term Dembele replacement. This romanticism with Modric and Bale needs to stop - we need to build for the future

Last edited:
He’s not coming back, so surely this whole point is moo?

Funny-Cow-Smiling-With-Humans-Teeth.jpg

I'm happy to debate alternatives in central midfield who are a better option than Luka Modric. If you look at all the end of year lists from football's publications of 2017's best players and midfieders, Modric is unanimoulsy in the top 10 and top 3 respectively.

The 100 best footballers in the world 2017

Scope the nearest potential CM's on that list. And who of those could we get?

Veratti. Not gettable.
Isco. Not gettable.
Kroos. Not gettable.
Busquets. Not gettable.
Rakitic. Not gettable.
Thiago. Not gettable.
Pjanic. Not gettable.

And so on. What better options are there than Modric, if he became available? None, is the answer.
There are so many other options better than a 33 year old past his prime. Are you honestly saying Modric is our only transfer CM option to replace Dembele long term? Have you been drinking?

Poch would never sanction that. Half of the players mentioned above are not even CMs - wtf?

Back
Top Bottom