Modric: "I'm sorry for the way I left..."

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have you watched Real this season bar the Spurs games? Modric has declined considerably and would get run over at the Prem like a joke. His decline has also been parallel to Real Madrid's woes this season - currently they're in danger of not making CL next season - that's how tragic they've been. Modric is finished at the top level, especially a Top 4 Prem club. That's the equivalent of calling Berba back.
He's the only guy pulling his weight in that Real side. He's still a genuinely world class player on par with De Bruyne

"I would like to go to Chelsea. A lot of players would like to go there and play for Chelsea because it is one of the best clubs in the world, and so do I. I would like to play there. But we will see what will happen. Chelsea are a great club, they play in the Champions League every year, they have great players, they are ambitious and have an ambitious owner who wants to invest in the club and make it win the Champions League, the Premier League and other titles.

"They are going in a great direction and everything about the club is very good. They [Chelsea] are the only one who sent an offer and they are at the moment my first choice."

"Sorry" doesnt cut it you fucking little wankstain

Never fails to amaze me the level of bitterness some supporter can show. The likes of Modric, Bale and Berbatov were superb for us and I don’t begrudge them one second for wanting to leave us to go to the respective clubs, it is a profession to them after all.

A bit like Naybet or Davids.

Apart from that Naybet was excellent and a huge influence of King whereas David’s was just garbage. The whole influence argument was complete horseshit as well given that he was getting into fights with Keane and had always been notoriously a aloof and difficult character.

Never fails to amaze me the level of bitterness some supporter can show. The likes of Modric, Bale and Berbatov were superb for us and I don’t begrudge them one second for wanting to leave us to go to the respective clubs, it is a profession to them after all.

I dunno. Bale to Madrid was different. Nobody could really argue with a world record fee, and him in the form of his life.

Berbatov left under a huge cloud to a team that had poached some of our best players in the past. My stance has softened though, and it was nice to see him at the WHL farewell.

Modric was and is an incredible player, and I don’t begrudge him going to Madrid. Especially as he was so professional after being denied an opportunity to leave. Unfortunately he was completely unprofessional when he made that ‘oh Chelsea are sooo amazing. Please come and get me’ plea. He was under contract, being paid well, playing for a club and supporters disgusted by that vile collective of racists, thugs, and mercenaries, and the idiot says that?

For me that was the worst slap in the face from a Spurs player since Judas.

They were fantastic for us, and it is a business decision and I can understand when it happens even though I may still be pissed off. That said, it's the manner in which a player leaves that is a big issue more often than not. Bale was probably the quietest about it, from what I remember, until the very end of the transfer when he just stopped showing up. I don't have anywhere the same level of dislike about him as I do the others. I don't really want him back either, but it's more about other things.

For Berba and Modric, they were cunts to us. They spoke out in the press openly about their desire to leave and spoke about specific clubs. They refused to play and their behavior set to undermine the coach. Their attitudes showed on the pitch and had to be highly upsetting for the rest of the squad. They intentionally made life difficult for the management, their teammates, and the fans just to get their way. They put themselves before the sake of the club that helped them to get to that opporunity and pissed all over it.

I dunno. Bale to Madrid was different. Nobody could really argue with a world record fee, and him in the form of his life.

Berbatov left under a huge cloud to a team that had poached some of our best players in the past. My stance has softened though, and it was nice to see him at the WHL farewell.

Modric was and is an incredible player, and I don’t begrudge him going to Madrid. Especially as he was so professional after being denied an opportunity to leave. Unfortunately he was completely unprofessional when he made that ‘oh Chelsea are sooo amazing. Please come and get me’ plea. He was under contract, being paid well, playing for a club and supporters disgusted by that vile collective of racists, thugs, and mercenaries, and the idiot says that?

For me that was the worst slap in the face from a Spurs player since Judas.

The Chelsea postion was foolish of him because as shown he could demand a higher platform than that. However the key was that he didn’t join them and most of the fanbase moved on from that the following season ( as did he). I just don’t understand the venom that is directed at those players by some. Berbatov is arguably my favourite Spurs and him joining a club were he won the CL and title doesn’t alter that in anyway. If we are accepting of us poaching others clubs best players then we really can’t take Issue when others do that to us.

They were fantastic for us, and it is a business decision and I can understand when it happens even though I may still be pissed off. That said, it's the manner in which a player leaves that is a big issue more often than not. Bale was probably the quietest about it, from what I remember, until the very end of the transfer when he just stopped showing up. I don't have anywhere the same level of dislike about him as I do the others. I don't really want him back either, but it's more about other things.

For Berba and Modric, they were cunts to us. They spoke out in the press openly about their desire to leave and spoke about specific clubs. They refused to play and their behavior set to undermine the coach. Their attitudes showed on the pitch and had to be highly upsetting for the rest of the squad. They intentionally made life difficult for the management, their teammates, and the fans just to get their way. They put themselves before the sake of the club that helped them to get to that opporunity and pissed all over it.

Really? Come on. They did what virtually most players do in today’s game, Bale did the same ( the club even when to the extent to state that he had a buttock issue). Again there are few complaints when our targets do this, I don’t recall such comments when Berahino or Schnerdelin engaged In similar actions when we approached them. It is double standards at play. As for upsetting the squad, well I do not think they would be fazed by this, they know this is a common tactic these days and most of the rest of squad would do the same given the opportunity to join clubs like Real. When players like Modric, Berbatov and Bale reached the level that they did then there departure is almost inevitable but shouldn’t colour what they did in Spurs shirt.

The Chelsea postion was foolish of him because as shown he could demand a higher platform than that. However the key was that he didn’t join them and most of the fanbase moved on from that the following season ( as did he). I just don’t understand the venom that is directed at those players by some. Berbatov is arguably my favourite Spurs and him joining a club were he won the CL and title doesn’t alter that in anyway. If we are accepting of us poaching others clubs best players then we really can’t take Issue when others do that to us.

Berba upset me because I really thought he’d push us to the next level. I was just generally pissed off with a lot of people after that transfer..Berba, United, Levy, Frasier ‘not even an option to buy if I don’t turn out to be utter shit’ Campbell...all of them.

As for Modric, I’d imagine Levy told him in no uncertain terms that he was never selling him to Chelsea under any circumstances. In all likelihood Modric was told to stay one more season, with an agreement in place to sell him outside the Prem if the right offer came in. He was playing for his move that last season, and whilst I appreciated his professionalism and incredible contributions, he was already pretty much dead to me by that point.

Amazingly Chiriches created the same effect before he’d even kicked a ball for us.

I really liked Modric and soon got over the Chelsea thing as once he started playing he gave his all.

Stil, not sure if I'd want him back or not. Only player I was ever happy to see return was Defoe. Players come and go as do managers even owners but the fans are fans for life. Majority of professionals in the game will never understand our love and loyalty. So be it.

I'm not sure if want Bale back either, we have moved on and have new heroes. One day the likes of Kane and Dele and Eriksen will be part of our history and the next generation will take over.

Circle of life thang!

So you feel the same for Sol Campbell then?
Or is Chelsea so much better to you?

So you feel the same for Sol Campbell then?
Or is Chelsea so much better to you?

No because Campbell purposely lied for months , let his contract run out resulting in us missing out on a world record fee for a defender and then left for the club’s historic rival. The aforementioned players are in no way comparable to him ( which is why none of them receive the same reaction)

No because Campbell purposely lied for months , let his contract run out resulting in us missing out on a world record fee for a defender and then left for the club’s historic rival. The aforementioned players are in no way comparable to him ( which is why none of them receive the same reaction)
And Modric refused to play in two games and the following year refused to train.

Sick of people excusing every other player because Campbell went to Woolwich.
Chelsea are actually more scum than the gooners, but history dictates who our biggest rivals are.
What Modric said in the papers and his following behavior was despicable and in every way comparable.
What you don't think he would have run down his contract given half the chance?

How would you have felt if the club involved (for Modric) had been Woolwich instead of Chelsea?

For me- yes players are professionals and 99% would move to a better/richer club given the chance, it's sad but essentially I have little problem with that- but there are still some lines they shouldn't cross in terms of respecting the supporters and having a moral code. One is that they are a judas cunt if they join or try to join a rival club. Personally I hate Chelsea more than Woolwich, I get it that this isn't the case for a lot of our fanbase but they're still our second biggest rivals.

Players generally wouldn't move to Woolwich, their agents may even advise against it in some cases, as that player will be looked on badly by people, both fans and the football community in general. Look at Campbell- his reputation is tarnished by what he did (not just his reputation among us lot, but his general reputation). He will be remembered as the player that moved to Woolwich and did not give a fuck about anything other than himself. If he'd gone Man United he would be remembered, instead, as one of the excellent defenders of his generation.

There is a kind of taboo over players going to Woolwich and that taboo needs to be maintained for Chelsea as well, otherwise we might lose players to them in the future. By fans singing Modric's name after he wanted to go there, that taboo was loosened. I despise Chelsea and believe me they actually despise us more than Woolwich do; I can never understand how people could sing Modric's name after that.

Really? Come on.
Yes. The support for what I said is the very fact that we're talking about this in a thread where Modric said that he's sorry for how he left. If there were no problems with how he acted, the apology wouldn't need to be said.

They did what virtually most players do in today’s game, Bale did the same ( the club even when to the extent to state that he had a buttock issue). Again there are few complaints when our targets do this, I don’t recall such comments when Berahino or Schnerdelin engaged In similar actions when we approached them.

For the most part, no, we don't see those comments. There aren't any really supporting comments about it either. Most people aren't cheering for players to act that way with their respective club.

I personally and have seen other people make comments how those types of actions are indicators of the player's personality and how they might act if they were to play with us. I personally lost interest in Berahino pretty quickly and wouldn't really want to see a Mahrez here after what he's done.

It is double standards at play. As for upsetting the squad, well I do not think they would be fazed by this, they know this is a common tactic these days and most of the rest of squad would do the same given the opportunity to join clubs like Real. When players like Modric, Berbatov and Bale reached the level that they did then there departure is almost inevitable but shouldn’t colour what they did in Spurs shirt.

You don't think that the harmony of a squad doesn't or can't get spoiled by a player acting that way? Come on, we've seen it happen at Spurs and at other clubs every year.

Back
Top Bottom