monaco v TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well the one thing I will say is that we are really missing a deep play maker who can see something from nothing tonight. Moutinho showed a few times where we are missing BUT our kids will get there if we stay positive. #wishlevypulleditoutthebag

Stop getting hashtags wrong

Overall a fairly dull game and perhaps we should of pressed early second half and tried to get the second. However when the draw was made, Monaco away, I'm sure like myself most of us would settle for a point. It wasn't our strongest side with the likes of Son, Walker and perhaps Mason but was very close to being our best staring 11. Monaco didn't show much promise.

We'll take the point, sit top of the group and the fact Carrier Bag beat Anderlecht is a blessing. When we take on Monaco at the Lane in December I would expect to see 3 points. Poch is clearly valuing the competition and let's hope for his sake it pays off. Get behind the lads, 3 points against Swansea this weekend then a couple of weeks to prepare for the bin dippers at home.

COYS!!!

Where the CBs come to think of it

Without watching it again, I'm thinking Rose closed down the cross, Vertonghen covered near post, Alderweireld was marking the striker and Trippier was on El Shaarawry as the left winger. To be fair it was a good cross, whipped into a perfect area with pace so I don't want to be too harsh on any of them.

Disclaimer, I might be wrong I haven't seen it since the replay during the match.

I'd be surprised if there are many people left thinking Trippier is better than Walker though, only one winner there hands down.

i don't really understand this negativity with trippier - he hasn't played regularly since he arrived. just give the bloke a chance.

Same way I never understood why people expected him to come in and be first choice. There are still calls for him to be selected for the 'first XI' in the league despite Walker being one of our best players this season...

Wasnt the most exciting game ever but still we created enough to win it and lost the 3 points due to a sequence of sloppy play, not covering the ball that went to Dirar, Dirar getting way too much time to put in his cross (but a perfect cross it was) and Trippier slow to react (but against a player running at the goal, it happens) and Lloris not being his super sharp self.

Missed the first half as our car fit towed away while costing a beach in tenerife. Looks like I missed the best half for us.
Overall a good draw away from home to a team that played champions league last season and possibly our hardest fixture (on paper) within the group.
Lemela going off changed the dinamics of our attack and let Monaco into the game more.

Poch is clearly valuing the competition and let's hope for his sake it pays off.
COYS!!!
Yep I think you may be correct. It makes sense to prioritise the two competitions that lead to a CL place, the LC & FAC only lead to Europa and by chasing hard
for a top 4 finish we will more than likely end up returning to Europa (again) next season.
Confirmation will come when see his line up for the FAC game.

Think it's worth noting Pochettino's history with fullbacks in regards to potential doubt about Trippier, he does have a good record of getting the most out of that position.

Missed the first half as our car fit towed away while costing a beach in tenerife. Looks like I missed the best half for us.
Overall a good draw away from home to a team that played champions league last season and possibly our hardest fixture (on paper) within the group.
Lemela going off changed the dinamics of our attack and let Monaco into the game more.

I think Poch should have put Carroll on for Lamela and maybe Njie for Kane. We would have kept the ball better and still had an outlet.

I think Poch should have put Carroll on for Lamela and maybe Njie for Kane. We would have kept the ball better and still had an outlet.
I have to agree, Carol would have provided us with a better option to retain the ball better, we seemed to give it away in the middle and let them attack us 4 on 4 at times.

Yep I think you may be correct. It makes sense to prioritise the two competitions that lead to a CL place, the LC & FAC only lead to Europa and by chasing hard
for a top 4 finish we will more than likely end up returning to Europa (again) next season.
Confirmation will come when see his line up for the FAC game.
I'm hoping we get a couple of non league opponents where we can send out our young boys and give the likes of Dier, Toby, Jan, Kane a much needed rest.

Whom would argue at the end of season if we were to get knocked out of both LC and FACUP but finished 4th or a Europa league final.

A point away from home in Europa is fine. All about winning your home games. Do that and we've qualified.

Thought the first half was excellent, and second half we showed Poch's pressing system in the second half when we had less of the ball. The goal was simply a good cross, excellent header and uncharacteristically poor goalkeeping by Hugo (who'd made a few poor saves to be fair (like when Rose bailed him out not long before)).

Pleased we didn't play kids. First team should be able to play a couple times a week, it's really not that difficult. Would we rotate in CL? Would we fuck. We're in this to win it, and it should be treated with the same importance as the PL in my view.

I have to be honest, this was one of the worst away days i've ever been to. The allocation was a fucking joke, we were limited at 950 but the section we were in had a capacity of around 1,500 (we covered 100's of seats with fucking flags!) - and out of the 950 that were there everyone was too focussed in huddling under the 10% of our allocated seats that had a roof over it. Only about 15 people in total that made any noise so the atmosphere was completely wank, the seats could barely see the pitch because they were behind the corner flag and had a running track in the way, and there wasn't even a big congregation of yids the night before because half the people stayed in Monaco and half in Nice. Add to that the match was pretty much a non-event and on the Friday it pissed down with rain all day, and I was left completely disappointed.

Also worth adding that we were held back for 25 minutes after full-time (why?) then marched by riot police all the way back to the train station, meaning we missed the last train to anywhere except Nice, which ws delayed by 30 minutes. In total it was 2 hours from full-time to getting on a train, and the station was a 10 minute walk away.

Yep. It was a bit of a shit show off the ball on the wings.

Trippier impressed me again with his crossing. Still think Poch is missing a trick not playing him on the wing. Lamela was at least a little more solid than Townsend.

Bringing on Townsend threw Trippier/everyone under the bus.

On the other side Rose threw the back line into disarray. Again his last ditch tackling is impressive but his positioning...it's just a disaster. Rose, Jan, Eriksen and Chadli are on different pages.

The goal against saw Rose walking around. Jan had to sprint out of position to cover for Rose and that left one center back in the middle. You can't leave it one on one on those areas.

Rose was switched off. Poch's style is to press and he didn't.

Jan was dragged so far out of position covering for Rose...our wings off the ball are just an absolute horror show.

Poch keeps persisting with Eriksen covering for Rose. When Rose is not steaming in he's day dreaming. And Eriksen is not built to cover for someone so chaotic. He can barely cover someone solid. Rose had zero click with Eriksen. And how was Townsend popping up on the left??? As if Trippier wasn't isolated enough?!

Townsend has a disastrous effect on Trippier. It's pretty tragic stuff. Townsend doing rolly pollys next to Rose trying to buy a foul in our box, then Rose pushes someone in the box, then we break, get offside, the ball comes straight back through Rose like he's not there and Jan is forced to cover. Goal.

Absolute shambles. What was Townsend doing on the left? Then the right? Then the left? Flopping and rolling around? It's just so keystone cops when he's involved. Rose did the same thing, going down with arms flailing with histrionics and he got himself injured! Him flagging the ref got his hand stamped on. it's just CHAOS. STOP FLAILING AND SCREAMING AT THE REF AND CONCENTRATE!!

Our wings off the ball....Jesus H Christ our wings.

Prior to Townsend coming on I was delighted Lamela got the goal. Great stuff. Chadli showing how a winger does it albeit on his weaker side. Alli showing everyone how to support.

Lamella started that goal near our own goal line. That was a fucking amazing goal. On first look it's just a tap in but he secured the ball and then sprinted the whole pitch. Chadli, Alli...So dangerous.

It's just a shame it was all undone by an out of control spinning top of a back line.

I feel bad for Jan. I knew we should have played the same team be city. Our midfielders did their job and Poch softened us up by putting on Townsend. His crossing was even worse than Roses scuff. Esp that cross from the left.

Wow. Lloris fault? Haha.

Trippier? You may want to ask why was Jan not in the box? Rose was being lazy at that point. It all got dragged sideways because Rose didn't press. Everyone had to fill in the gap left by Jan. the whole back line had to scramble because one player was walking around.

Rose and Eriksen were the reason we conceded. Not fucking Lloris!! They didn't press.

Trippier a winger now???

Fuck off!

:dembelefingers:

Back
Top Bottom