Most over-rated/under-rated players?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

CroSpurs CroSpurs is obviously going to be a huge fan of the Chelsea-loving rat, and for good reason as he's a brilliant player.

None of us have much love for Gerrard. He was pretty mediocre for England as well. But he was obviously one of the greats during his time with Liverpool.

Just don't get that how anybody that watches football, and I'm talking not just Spurs games, can say anything else other than Gerrard was unbelievable. Modric has clearly been a wonderful player too. But to say either is so much better than the other is just silly. To compare them directly is madness.

But if you're choosing a player soley to lift a team up and produce something out of nothing, to win a game for your side, you'd have to be an imbecile to choose Modric over Gerrard. If you're looking for one of them to control play and link with team-mates, Modric is obviously head and shoulders the better option.

But Modric a much better player than Gerrard? Nah. Get the fuck out with that biased shit. And trophies don't come into the conversation otherwise we're saying Gary Neville is one of the best right-backs ever. (as decent as he was)

I always thought Ryan Giggs was well over-rated. Not enough end-product for me and totally one-footed. Like a slightly upgraded Erik Lamela.

Under-rated is interesting, Sergio Busquets should probably get more credit. Basically been the best player in the world in his position for close to a decade.

I always thought Ryan Giggs was well over-rated. Not enough end-product for me and totally one-footed. Like a slightly upgraded Erik Lamela.

Under-rated is interesting, Sergio Busquets should probably get more credit. Basically been the best player in the world in his position for close to a decade.

I think most people know how good he is in what he brings to his team. His biggest problem is that there was also a prime Messi, Iniesta and Xavi etc. So he was never talked about in the way that those were.

Mason Mount over rated
Tyrone Mings over rated
Harry Maguire over rated
Roberto Firminho over rated
And thou shall always
thou shall always
thou shall always
Kill.

I don't think many people think Mings is anything more than he is, which is a pretty ordinary defender. His biggest attribute other than being really tall is that he's left-footed.

Agree with Maguire and Firmino to an extent, but despite him playing for Chelsea, I think Mount is a cracking player. Or at least will become one.

I'm gonna say that Beckham was somewhat under-rated. Because there's definitely some people that think without his looks and fame he wouldn't have played for the clubs he did. There's others who think he was just all about set-pieces.

But his crossing, passing and work rate were elite attributes too. He was also one of the very few England players that actually often produced club form for country, unlike the likes of Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard. Brilliant player. His performance against Greece was ridiculous - Roy of the Rovers stuff.

I think with Beckham it was more he was amazing for a few years but then declined somewhat. But you are right he did perform for England. Scholes for me is the best of the United lot but England played him on the left wing to make way for Lampard etc, he was badly misused. The tactics we used for that group of players was crazy and outdated.

I worry we will repeat this with the current group under Southgate. If he can’t make Grealish, Foden, Kane and Sancho play with swagger then he will have failed.

It's only going to end in tears for Southgate inevitably. But he should be given credit for settling the team and building a team spirit within the group. We did get lucky with who we played in the World Cup to make the semi's, but we could very nearly have even made the final as we were by far the better side in the first half from what I remember. All in all I think he's done a decent enough job, but doubt he can take us any further.

I think on paper, we have as much a chance as anyone in the Euro's outside of France and Belgium. But he will no doubt pick most of the old brigade and the likes of Rashford, regardless of his United form. He just won't be brave enough to pick the likes of Foden and Grealish together.

Overrated? Joao Félix. One of the most expensive players of all time
I agree. Good player, but definitely not 126 million euros good (yet, at least).
Thanks for the money though, Atlético Madrid 😏

The thing about Beckham, very good player, but the way some people and the media talked about him made him seem like he was the 2nd coming of Christ. It was too much. The hype didn't match what he delivered on the pitch, which makes him over-rated, imo.

I think with Beckham it was more he was amazing for a few years but then declined somewhat. But you are right he did perform for England. Scholes for me is the best of the United lot but England played him on the left wing to make way for Lampard etc, he was badly misused. The tactics we used for that group of players was crazy and outdated.

I worry we will repeat this with the current group under Southgate. If he can’t make Grealish, Foden, Kane and Sancho play with swagger then he will have failed.
We should sack him now and get a coach that is all about movement and attacking patterns of play. We have one functional centerback and half a goalkeeper in Henderson throw everything at the other end of the pitch.
Grealish
Fodden
Sterling
Kane
Have to all start.

Carrick was a fantastic player, only thing is his defensive side of the game didn’t get good till the later stage of his career. I don’t mean tackling I mean his positioning, at United it really improved. Prior to that he was seen as a luxury player, amazing on the ball but could leave the defence open.
A bit lacking in pace when it mattered but a good honest player

Average passer? Poor tackling? I genuinely don't think you've ever seen him play, other than when against us.

Not one single Liverpool fan would say Alonso was better than Gerrard. Not anyone sane or not related to Alonso anyway.
Gerrard was an average passer and not even comparable to Alonso. You need to watch more of the European leagues to see what a good passer is like, talk less of a great one like Alonso who also had a great vision to compliment it.

Gerrard was also a poor tackler, more brutish than clean - unfortunately many in England see it as being 'hard'. Anyone that has seen a true practitioner win the ball will see the clear difference in technique and class.

Gerrard is a scouser through and through, and is not surprising that many Liverpool fans worship him, but that does not make him a better footballer. Same Liverpool fans would also think Gerrard is much greater footballer than a dimunitive croat.

For a reason. Because he was a bloody brilliant player. Suarez has said he was one of in not the best he ever played with too, and that was when Gerrard was past his best. He was genuinely a Roy of the Rovers player for Liverpool and arguably the best midfielder of his type for a number of years. Someone calling Gerrard a headless chicken is like me calling Pirlo a carthorse. Just utter madness.
whatever you see in Gerrard that makes you think he is a great player, I definitely don't see it. I care more for what a player can do with the ball, than what he can do with his body and Gerrard leaves me unconvinced.

I look at players like KDB and simply don't see Gerrard at the same level. I can't even think of a game in which he dominated the midfield against a top quality midfield opposition.

But to show you that my opinion is not as unique as you think

el hadji diouf, liverpool legend, in pele's 100 top players of all time, top lad stand-up guy, probably the most over rated in the last 20 years

Gerrard was an average passer and not even comparable to Alonso. You need to watch more of the European leagues to see what a good passer is like, talk less of a great one like Alonso who also had a great vision to compliment it.

Gerrard was also a poor tackler, more brutish than clean - unfortunately many in England see it as being 'hard'. Anyone that has seen a true practitioner win the ball will see the clear difference in technique and class.

Gerrard is a scouser through and through, and is not surprising that many Liverpool fans worship him, but that does not make him a better footballer. Same Liverpool fans would also think Gerrard is much greater footballer than a dimunitive croat.

Gerrard was never considered a good tackler by anyone in England or particularly "hard".

Both Modric and Gerrard could play in multiple positions of the midfield role.

And Gerrard could also play elsewhere other than midfield, which makes him far more versatile. Don't remember Modric ever playing at right-back or as a second striker on occasions. Not only playing there but also still often being the best player on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom