Most over-rated/under-rated players?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

IMO most Croatian players are vastly Overrated.

They're certainly on the decline. They had a great period but now the likes of Modric, Mandzukic, Rakatic and Perisic are at the back end of their careers they'll be bang average soon enough. I'm no expert on Croatian football granted, but don't see any amazing talent coming through.

England would smoke them now.

Modric is 35 and still one of the best in Europe while Gerrard at 35 was, where?

Our players are overrated? Fuck me, that sounds funny coming from an English. Is that why we beat you so many times? 😂

Jokes aside, I'm gonna stop it here, Modric was top 3 player on Real Madrid historic team. Will go down into convo with Xavi and Iniesta. Gerrard won't and we know why. Not because he played with crap team, his team 15 years ago was fucking good. Stop acting like he played entire career with mediocre players.

Great player, but I choose Scholes over him. And Scholes is not on Modric level either.

They're certainly on the decline. They had a great period but now the likes of Modric, Mandzukic, Rakatic and Perisic are at the back end of their careers they'll be bang average soon enough. I'm no expert on Croatian football granted, but don't see any amazing talent coming through.

England would smoke them now.
We have some talents coming through. But we've seen the glory and I'm alrighr with us being average. 2 medals on World Cup in 30 years, not something England can brag about.

We have some talents coming through. But we've seen the glory and I'm alrighr with us being average. 2 medals on World Cup in 30 years, not something England can brag about.

Maybe you can go brag about it on a Croatian forum, and have a circle jerk about Modric being the best footballer ever.

Just don't get that how anybody that watches football, and I'm talking not just Spurs games, can say anything else other than Gerrard was unbelievable. Modric has clearly been a wonderful player too. But to say either is so much better than the other is just silly. To compare them directly is madness.

But if you're choosing a player soley to lift a team up and produce something out of nothing, to win a game for your side, you'd have to be an imbecile to choose Modric over Gerrard. If you're looking for one of them to control play and link with team-mates, Modric is obviously head and shoulders the better option.

But Modric a much better player than Gerrard? Nah. Get the fuck out with that biased shit. And trophies don't come into the conversation otherwise we're saying Gary Neville is one of the best right-backs ever. (as decent as he was)
The England team really need someone who could dictate the flow of game rather than the the likes of Gerrard. I remembered Euro 2012 was the recent tournament where England had Gerrard as CM partnered with Parker. But even without the existence of Lampard, Gerrard could hardly control the tempo of the midfield.

The England team really need someone who could dictate the flow of game rather than the the likes of Gerrard. I remembered Euro 2012 was the recent tournament where England had Gerrard as CM partnered with Parker. But even without the existence of Lampard, Gerrard could hardly control the tempo of the midfield.

Yeah, he was never that kind of player. Both Lampard and Gerrard were box to box midfielders. Modric, who is getting mentioned an awful lot here in this thread, has never been that type of player. Closest England had then was Carrick. I really liked Owen Hargreaves as a player but he was constantly injured. I think Carrick wasn't trusted enough in the holding role because we always felt like we needed someone who could tackle there, which wasn't exactly an attribute you would associate with Michael Carrick.

I can answer for him for now. The fact that he's rated as one of the two greatest ever Liverpool players?
same club that failed to win a PL title for 30yrs so they must have had many great players in that span?
And no, it's not because he's a Scouser. How about coming third for the Ballon d'Or in 2005?
and you must think Michael Owen is even greater
Or the fact that the same year he won the UEFA Club footballer of the year award.
was Diego Milito also a great player
How about being named Liverpool's player of the season on 4 or 5 occasions,
Other winners include Danny Murphy, Skirtel, Lucas Levia and Pepe Reina. Not what I would call stiff competition.
and the UEFA team of the year on a few occasions?
Same UEFA teams that included players like Luis Garcia and Abidal
Does being man of the match in a Champions League final mean anything at all?
So was Diego Milito
Or winning an FA Cup final virtually by yourself when he put in one of the best individual performances you will ever see against West Ham?
Great performance against such a great West Ham team that had Reo-Coker and Fletcher in midfield and finished 9th in the league but still needed a late strike to force extra time and penalties. Real hero was Reina who saved 3 of 4 penalties.
I literally found most of that information within 2 minutes on Wikipedia. But I think the fact that he's arguably Liverpool's best ever player say's an awful lot without the rest, considering their history.
If Gerrard is a great player then the threshold of greatness has been much lessened.

Maybe you can go brag about it on a Croatian forum, and have a circle jerk about Modric being the best footballer ever.

That's a pretty poor comment, I take that back. It doesn't matter where you're from as long as you support Spurs. It's not like I was born in London myself.

But still,. Modric and Gerrard were both world-class. Both did certain things better than the other. One won more than the other because one played for Real Madrid and the other stayed loyal to his team, in a side which often had a lot of mediocrity about it.

same club that failed to win a PL title for 30yrs so they must have had many great players in that span?

and you must think Michael Owen is even greater

was Diego Milito also a great player

Other winners include Danny Murphy, Skirtel, Lucas Levia and Pepe Reina. Not what I would call stiff competition.

Same UEFA teams that included players like Luis Garcia and Abidal

So was Diego Milito

Great performance against such a great West Ham team that had Reo-Coker and Fletcher in midfield and finished 9th in the league but still needed a late strike to force extra time and penalties. Real hero was Reina who saved 3 of 4 penalties.

If Gerrard is a great player then the threshold of greatness has been much lessened.

There's really no point discussing this any further with you. In fact, anyone who's daft enough to call Gerrard a headless chicken isn't worth debating with full stop.

Yeah, he was never that kind of player. Both Lampard and Gerrard were box to box midfielders. Modric, who is getting mentioned an awful lot here in this thread, has never been that type of player. Closest England had then was Carrick. I really liked Owen Hargreaves as a player but he was constantly injured. I think Carrick wasn't trusted enough in the holding role because we always felt like we needed someone who could tackle there, which wasn't exactly an attribute you would associate with Michael Carrick.
I couldn't believe even Capello didn't rate Carrick as well.

But Carrick looked like he lost the confidence after the first Champions League final against Barca.

I couldn't believe even Capello didn't rate Carrick as well.

But Carrick looked like he lost the confidence after the first Champions League final against Barca.

Think it's because with Gerrard and Lampard, you ideally would want someone behind them that can get about a pitch and put in tackles, That wasn't what Carrick is about at all. He was slow as fuck and had all the movement of roadkill at times. But you could say the same things about Pirlo and Xabi Alonso. He wasn't quite at either of their level, especially Pirlo who was just different gravy, but definitely could have been used better/more by England.

3279.jpg

Best midfielders post 1995 I would probably say the below.

Zidane
Scholes
Iniesta
Xavi
Gerrard
Modric
Pirlo
Schweinsteiger

So the likes of Suarez, Alonso and Torres are basically just being nice by calling him the best player they have played with? That makes absolutely zero sense.

Some of the stuff people come out with here is completely insane.
What are they gonna say??
Plus its all about opinion. Ye dont agree well sure move on

Just don't get that how anybody that watches football, and I'm talking not just Spurs games, can say anything else other than Gerrard was unbelievable. Modric has clearly been a wonderful player too. But to say either is so much better than the other is just silly. To compare them directly is madness.

But if you're choosing a player soley to lift a team up and produce something out of nothing, to win a game for your side, you'd have to be an imbecile to choose Modric over Gerrard. If you're looking for one of them to control play and link with team-mates, Modric is obviously head and shoulders the better option.

But Modric a much better player than Gerrard? Nah. Get the fuck out with that biased shit. And trophies don't come into the conversation otherwise we're saying Gary Neville is one of the best right-backs ever. (as decent as he was)
Whats your story with gerard? My god id say youve never defended a spurs player as hard

Back
Top Bottom