Most underrated player?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Always liked Dawson - got a lot of abuse from clueless melters at the time but was a proper club-man and always put his body on the line for his team. Compared to some cunt like Paulinho who used to jump out of tackles - Daws was a fucking legend

Carrick at the time.

A lot of fans were asking what he was actually doing on the pitch, but he was already one of the best midfielders in the league; proven to be a great signing for United.

HampshireSpur

🇺🇦
Loads of negative threads on here nowadays, so here's an attempt at a positive one.

In our entire history, who is your choice for most underrated/under-appreciated player at the Lane?

For me (showing my age here) I would say Jermain Defoe:

a. Pretty handy goalscorer, and decent in his second spell too.
b. Love for the club - apparently in his time here had a list of Spurs top goal scorers on his bathroom mirror, which he updated in light of his own contributions. For me that shows it's not just about the money or glory, but an emotional connection to a particular club.
c. Off the pitch activity - pretty heroic.

I'd also mention Sigurdsson - pretty handy midfielder who we dispensed with a touch too quickly, IMHO.

Also, Aaron Lennon was more or less unplayable in wide areas on his day - just never quite developed elite finishing skills.

Loads of negative threads on here nowadays, so here's an attempt at a positive one.

In our entire history, who is your choice for most underrated/under-appreciated player at the Lane?

b. Love for the club - apparently in his time here had a list of Spurs top goal scorers on his bathroom mirror, which he updated in light of his own contributions. For me that shows it's not just about the money or glory, but an emotional connection to a particular club.

I'd also mention Sigurdsson - pretty handy midfielder who we dispensed with a touch too quickly, IMHO.

Also, Aaron Lennon was more or less unplayable in wide areas on his day - just never quite developed elite finishing skills.
Poch said in a newspaper interview 2/3 years ago Sigurdsson was a regret of his. Of all the players he got rid of in 2014/15 he was the one in hindsight he felt he could have worked well with.

In terms of underrated I would say Scott Parker deserves a mention. He was absolutely class for 2 years. Complete warrior in midfield. Always remember Harry subbing him off after 87 minutes and he'd looked like he'd been in a warzone.

Defoe’s doing a great job up here for Rangers, love him!

Hah, funny.
I'd place 2 out of 3 rather into "overrated category".
Defoe and Lennon that is.

Without a doubt I liked Defoe. True champ and I actually even now try to keep tabs on how many goals is he scoring for Rangers (and good to see that the answer is "a lot"). But to me it seemed that the fanbase looked at him like a true god. Like almost to current standing of Harry Kane. While in real life he was nothing even close to Kane if we consider overall ability.

Lennon was a speed-demon. Ran fast and cared for the club. But so often pitch ran out before he got an idea what to do with the ball in space. OR there was alternative scenario when he had made decision what to do like a minute ago, and he still executed this idea, no matter how many opposite players were in the way. But he mostly could not think and run at the same time. Which is an issue for a winger :D .
He had role in the team back then, and was good servant to club, but I somehow feel he was regarded for more than he was.

Ofc back in their playing days, my social circle was lot smaller in terms of Spurs fans, so I might have made conclusions based on too little sample size. If they were regarded as "average" or "slightly above average" by fanbase, then maybe yes, they could be considered "underrated". But if they were considered proper "top players" then "overrated" seems to suit better.

Back
Top Bottom