Mourinho v. Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It has now been a year since we said goodbye to our Prince and welcomed in our "smart cunt".

My question is, what are you most encouraged by in the differences between the two and what do you think Jose could take from Poch?

I must say, I was extremely apprehensive when we signed Jose (mainly due to his United debacle and "3 year limit" thing). But what I've discovered is, to appreciate Jose Mourinho, you have to experience him. The main difference I see is he takes no nonsense, whether he is personally affable with the player or not. Whereas Poch, in hindsight, treated the squad too much like his friends.

So, one year on, do we "get" Jose Mourinho now?

Is he "one of us" yet, like Poch is? Or do you see him resorting to type and year 3 we've all got over him like everywhere else he's been? I'm not so sure, as I've not seen him this happy in his job since Inter. Where he is still adored.

He certainly hates Woolwich as much as we do.

Is this thread necessary?

Wondering GIF by memecandy

We are a quarter into this season.

Let's see where we end up and what we win first. Whilst we've seen some great results, especially this season, we've also seen some typical Spurs with throwing away a 3 goal lead at home and failing to capitalise on rivals dropping points.

We could quite easily be 5th at the end of today for example.

We are a quarter into this season.

Let's see where we end up and what we win first. Whilst we've seen some great results, especially this season, we've also seen some typical Spurs with throwing away a 3 goal lead at home and failing to capitalise on rivals dropping points.

We could quite easily be 5th at the end of today for example.
That's the kind of response I'm looking for Tots. Cheers.

I feel there's so much growth potential still under this regime and wonder if we are the dynasty project Jose has always mentioned wanting since he fluttered his eyelids at Sir Alex when at Chelsea.

mmmmmmm this is one hard question. Especially as Jose hardly had time here to judge the bottom line of silverware. and every pro or con to each is a potential pro or con to him as well.

Poch:
- I did enjoy our good playing spells under him more and prefer us dominating possession than stinging to some degree
- he was more "Tottenham", i.e., underdog, playing positive football even if outcomes were not optimal
- I feel like he man-managed better and was able to get more out of certain players.
- his 2017 side played the best football Spurs played in my lifetime

Jose:
- more effective. Both Poch and Jose spurs could switch off terribly, but when Jose spurs switch off they can still save something
- less scared of Levy hence finally having some squad depth. I got red-mad from Poch's lukewarm attitude towards transfers and our incredibly short squad
- Plays to players advantage instead of forcing a system on players incapable of playing it like Poch did in his last season or so
- commands more respect from other managers. knows how to play the psychological game
- brilliant defending.
- I feel like he takes cup matches more seriously. Son at LWB against Chelsea was infuriating

I get what Jose is doing. I get why we play differently now. Honestly, I was suspicious, but am more calm seeing how the system works with PEH\Son\Kane blossoming. I do think it's time for spurs to be less naive, but I do also feel like Jose needs to deliver at least one silverware this season.

There's about 10 other threads on this already.

Also, this is a bit premature considering we've accomplished nothing of note under Mourinho as of yet. Perhaps we should let things play out a bit before comparing a manager who was here for nearly 5.5 years to a manager who has yet to complete a full season start to finish.

mmmmmmm this is one hard question. Especially as Jose hardly had time here to judge the bottom line of silverware. and every pro or con to each is a potential pro or con to him as well.

Poch:
- I did enjoy our good playing spells under him more and prefer us dominating possession than stinging to some degree
- he was more "Tottenham", i.e., underdog, playing positive football even if outcomes were not optimal
- I feel like he man-managed better and was able to get more out of certain players.
- his 2017 side played the best football Spurs played in my lifetime

Jose:
- more effective. Both Poch and Jose spurs could switch off terribly, but when Jose spurs switch off they can still save something
- less scared of Levy hence finally having some squad depth. I got red-mad from Poch's lukewarm attitude towards transfers and our incredibly short squad
- Plays to players advantage instead of forcing a system on players incapable of playing it like Poch did in his last season or so
- commands more respect from other managers. knows how to play the psychological game
- brilliant defending.
- I feel like he takes cup matches more seriously. Son at LWB against Chelsea was infuriating

I get what Jose is doing. I get why we play differently now. Honestly, I was suspicious, but am more calm seeing how the system works with PEH\Son\Kane blossoming. I do think it's time for spurs to be less naive, but I do also feel like if Jose needs to deliver at least one silverware this season.
Nice roundup.

I must say, its a wild ride going from the United game to the Burnley game in terms of watchability. But I guess it shows Jose has many strings to his bow?

I wonder if tonight is the night we go tactically back to the United tempo?

Nice roundup.

I must say, its a wild ride going from the United game to the Burnley game in terms of watchability. But I guess it shows Jose has many strings to his bow?

I wonder if tonight is the night we go tactically back to the United tempo?
Our system is more effective against teams that try to control possession and go forward (usually bigger sides) than smaller sides we need to try and pry out kicking and shouting (Burnley). Also this is a multi-staged game, teams learn to cope with out methods and try to live more men behind to stop the Kane-Son runs

Our system is more effective against teams that try to control possession and go forward (usually bigger sides) than smaller sides we need to try and pry out kicking and shouting (Burnley). Also this is a multi-staged game, teams learn to cope with out methods and try to live more men behind to stop the Kane-Son runs
I think the key is also Kane and Son. If either were to get injured, I wonder what Jose has in his bag of tricks. Poch, I think, was rather one track minded.

Back
Top Bottom