Mourinho Vs Pep

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who is better

• Mourinho

• Pep

Results are only viewable after voting.
Both have managed clubs that tend to be the biggest or best financially (or quality wise) in the leagues they manage.

I don't think using the 'only managed top clubs' stick is a fair one though. They are elite managers, of course the biggest and best teams are going to want them to manage them.

Guardiola has won more - but you could easily argue that Mourinho has won more impressively (with regards to clubs managed).

Guardiolas teams have always played the better football - but then you could argue that Mourinho tends. for the most part, to get the best out of what he's got.

I think both have history of improving countless players and making them better and turning them into winners.

I think both should just be appreciated for being two of the greatest managers in football.

I think Pep’s teams would have won trophies with or without him.

I think the same with Mourinhos clubs.

Though let's see if he can create a miracle at Spurs.

Mourinho CL wins with Porto and Inter are more impressive than anything Pep has done. Pep took the Bayern team from Heynckes which was probably the most brutal machine around at the time (similar to the one now, maybe better) and downgraded them quite a bit, that was very disappointing what happened there. He has had the most talented team in the prem for a few years but keeps failing in the CL and it’s hard to judge his Barca time as he had the most insane talents around in Messi, Xavi and Iniesta.

I think Mourinho has a more impressive record than Pep but Pep plays more stylish football. I can say Pep’s style has had an enormous impact but his achievement relatively to the players/money he has had is reasonable rather than exceptional where as Mourinho has achieved more with less but his methods can be boring to say the least.

All time, who has the more impressive CV considering everything

Both are among the best ever, and neither guy's career is anywhere near over, but at this moment I'd have to give it to Mourinho.

Both guys have had imperious, league destroying super teams with lavishly financed squads in the top leagues in the world. Mourinho has won the Champions League with teams that weren't that not once but twice.

Jose, because love him or hate him, he's our manager now and that's enough to get my vote. And I still remember the Harry Kane team crack, so Pep can do one!

Last edited:
Jose wins hands down. Better looking, better dresser (what is that cardigan all about -looks like something that old man Steptoe would wear), more charming, and he's OUR manager.
If Jose wins anything with us, that will sink this argument for ever!
:mourthumb:

As others have said - assuming no change in our ownership I'd much much rather have Mourinho at the helm than Guardiola. Pep gets teams playing nicely but has had an embarassment of riches at his disposal everywhere he's been.

José can get an underdog winning, Pep has never been the underdog.

It'll be very interesting to see what Mourinho is actually able to achieve at Spurs by the end of his tenure. We're one of his hardest projects.

Considering Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer of all managers could pretty much get a worse Man Utd squad to a Europa League final tomorrow. I'd say it would be likely, yes.

I don't think Guardiola would have done any worse if he had taken over from FA Cup winner Louis van Gaal and spent the same £370,000,000.
:mourear:

Both have managed clubs that tend to be the biggest or best financially (or quality wise) in the leagues they manage.

I don't think using the 'only managed top clubs' stick is a fair one though. They are elite managers, of course the biggest and best teams are going to want them to manage them.

Guardiola has won more - but you could easily argue that Mourinho has won more impressively (with regards to clubs managed).

Guardiolas teams have always played the better football - but then you could argue that Mourinho tends. for the most part, to get the best out of what he's got.

I think both have history of improving countless players and making them better and turning them into winners.

I think both should just be appreciated for being two of the greatest managers in football.

Pep's teams play attacking football that is frequently a joy to watch.
But after last night, the pattern is clear. The "heir to Cruyff", the "footballing philosopher", is a bottle job in the biggest matches.
If Pep is not prepared to stick to his philosophy when he has one of the most expensively & corruptly assembled squads in world football, plays De Bruyne as a right-winger, and picks all three of Gundogan, Rodri and Fernandinho leaving the creative sparks of Mahrez, the Silvas and Foden on the bench, then he's a coward.
Yes, a good manager should introduce tactics to counter the threat of a team like Bayern in their current imperious form. But Lyon?
FFS. If Shitty had their best players out there, playing the 4-3-3 formation they play week in, week out, they would have mullered Lyon. Or at least gone down playing creative, exciting, football.
I often find Mourinho's football boring to watch. But he is most definitely not a bottle job. And I would trust him to implement a tactical plan to beat better sides far more than I would Guardiola.
I can see Jose watching last night's clusterfuck with a huge and knowing grin on his face. Bring on next season's mind games.
:mourbringit::mourlmao:

Mourinho is practical, as he has often said himself about how to play or line up, “it depends.” Pep’s sides are typically so fluid and good in attacking that he plays the same way just about every game. He is not good about being practical. When he tries to be, he usually fails.

This City squad looks beat up. After several years at the top and unable to get a breakthrough in the CL, I really think they were going to lose to Lyon regardless of the tactics. Still, you should go down fighting with your best. I don’t understand how Bernardo Silva and Mahrez were on the bench.

On this note, I don’t expect City to be a juggernaut in the PL next season. Liverpool will have lost its hunger as well, given that they’ve won the CL and PL. There is an opportunity for a new team to win the PL. A few more good additions to Spurs (RB, back up striker, maybe a CB, maybe a good young pacy winger) and we will be in contention.

Love him or hate him.......... You gotta love him really. Jose is only saying what everyone is thinking.

If Sterling plays, Jose is proven right

If Sterling doesn't play, we'll never know whether Pep didn't play him just to save face.

If Sterling comes on as a sub, Jose is proven right

Win Win Win

:mourhandlaugh:

Last edited:
Mourinho treble at inter is better than anything Pep did at Barca IMO, That Barca team was created over 25 years and was probably already the best team in the world and yet to peak ,, Avram Grant would have been a serial winner with that team, Pep added to it but there are others who deserve more credit for that Barca team, nobody could of done what Mourinho did at Inter or Porto his last league title win with Chelsea wasn't to shabby either.

Pep come up short at both Bayern and City IMO.

There are only a few actual great managerial achievements this centuary and 2 of them belong to Mourinho. His CL wins with Porto and Inter hark back to another era. Pep’s doesn’t even hold that accolade in Spain - what Simeone has achieved with A.Madrid is far more of a noteworthy achievement that what Pep did with Barca.

Back
Top Bottom