Mourinho Vs Pep

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who is better

• Mourinho

• Pep

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think they are both great, but certainly not flawless, managers.

giphy.gif

All time, who has the more impressive CV considering everything

Both are among the best ever, and neither guy's career is anywhere near over, but at this moment I'd have to give it to Mourinho.

Both guys have had imperious, league destroying super teams with lavishly financed squads in the top leagues in the world. Mourinho has won the Champions League with teams that weren't that not once but twice.

Both have managed clubs that tend to be the biggest or best financially (or quality wise) in the leagues they manage.

I don't think using the 'only managed top clubs' stick is a fair one though. They are elite managers, of course the biggest and best teams are going to want them to manage them.

Guardiola has won more - but you could easily argue that Mourinho has won more impressively (with regards to clubs managed).

Guardiolas teams have always played the better football - but then you could argue that Mourinho tends. for the most part, to get the best out of what he's got.

I think both have history of improving countless players and making them better and turning them into winners.

I think both should just be appreciated for being two of the greatest managers in football.

Both have managed clubs that tend to be the biggest or best financially (or quality wise) in the leagues they manage.

I don't think using the 'only managed top clubs' stick is a fair one though. They are elite managers, of course the biggest and best teams are going to want them to manage them.

Guardiola has won more - but you could easily argue that Mourinho has won more impressively (with regards to clubs managed).

Guardiolas teams have always played the better football - but then you could argue that Mourinho tends. for the most part, to get the best out of what he's got.

I think both have history of improving countless players and making them better and turning them into winners.

I think both should just be appreciated for being two of the greatest managers in football.

I think Pep’s teams would have won trophies with or without him.

You think the Utd squad that Mourinho had would have come second in the league and won the EL irrespective of who had been at the helm?

I think United will win things in their future without Mourinho at the helm, yes.

Just like I think Porto, Inter Milan, Chelsea and Real Madrid will continue to do.

Just like Jerry also believes Barcelona. Bayern and Man City will continue to do so without Guardiola.

Top managers tend to manage the best and most successful clubs - who will continue to win with or without said top managers.

You think the Utd squad that Mourinho had would have come second in the league and won the EL and League cup irrespective of who had been at the helm?

Not irrespective but there are a lot of managers that could have got them those same results.

NOT the question I asked you.

Considering Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer of all managers could pretty much get a worse Man Utd squad to a Europa League final tomorrow. I'd say it would be likely, yes.

I don't think Guardiola would have done any worse if he had taken over from FA Cup winner Louis van Gaal and spent the same £370,000,000.

I think the same with Mourinhos clubs.

Though let's see if he can create a miracle at Spurs.

Mourinho CL wins with Porto and Inter are more impressive than anything Pep has done. Pep took the Bayern team from Heynckes which was probably the most brutal machine around at the time (similar to the one now, maybe better) and downgraded them quite a bit, that was very disappointing what happened there. He has had the most talented team in the prem for a few years but keeps failing in the CL and it’s hard to judge his Barca time as he had the most insane talents around in Messi, Xavi and Iniesta.

I think Mourinho has a more impressive record than Pep but Pep plays more stylish football. I can say Pep’s style has had an enormous impact but his achievement relatively to the players/money he has had is reasonable rather than exceptional where as Mourinho has achieved more with less but his methods can be boring to say the least.

Mourinho CL wins with Porto and Inter are more impressive than anything Pep has done. Pep took the Bayern team from Heynckes which was probably the most brutal machine around at the time (similar to the one now, maybe better) and downgraded them quite a bit, that was very disappointing what happened there. He has had the most talented team in the prem for a few years but keeps failing in the CL and it’s hard to judge his Barca time as he had the most insane talents around in Messi, Xavi and Iniesta.

I think Mourinho has a more impressive record than Pep but Pep plays more stylish football. I can say Pep’s style has had an enormous impact but his achievement relatively to the players/money he has had is reasonable rather than exceptional where as Mourinho has achieved more with less but his methods can be boring to say the least.

The CL win with Porto certainly is.

I'm not sure Inter Milan really get the respect they deserve. They were a team full of footballing legends and world class talent. The performance against Barcelona was exceptional and showed just how good they were and this was Mourinho at his best.

I also don't think Guardiola gets the respect he deserves for what he actually done at Barcelona. He transformed them into arguably the greatest club side in world football. Which not only aided Barcelonas rise to success but his actual country too, seeing Spain dominate the international scene for 4+ years was pretty much off the back of what he had done to the game of football.

Yes, Barcelona were a big club long before Guardiola took over but he won the same amount of La Liga trophies in his 4 years there, then they had won in their previous 10 years. He won the same amount of Copa del Reys there in his 4 years, then they had won in their previous 17 years. He won the same amount of CL in his 4 years there, then they had in their 100 years history prior and they've only won 1 since.. (he left 8 years ago)

Again - I'd rather just appreciate both as two of the greatest managers instead of having to put two people against eachother like people do with Messi and Ronaldo. Just enjoy both and what they do for football.

Which manager would be most likely to get us a trophy? It's something that's evaded a lot of managers for a very long time. That manager wins the crown.

Fortunately, we at least get to put one of them to the test ...

Back
Top Bottom