Mourinho Vs Pep

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who is better

• Mourinho

• Pep

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yep, nowhere near the quality Man. City had in the 2017/2018 season... Who had Fernandinho, David Silva, De Bruyne in midfield and Sane, Aguero and Sterling upfront. :mourhandlaugh:
By then Mourinho had De Gea, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Lukaku, Rashford, Ibrahimovic, Mkhitayaran, Lindelof, Bailley, Shaw and Rooney.

So are you saying Jose spent the money badly in comparision to Pep??

By then Mourinho had De Gea, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Lukaku, Rashford, Ibrahimovic, Mkhitayaran, Lindelof, Bailley, Shaw and Rooney.

So are you saying Jose spent the money badly in comparision to Pep??
I'm saying that it was completely unthinkable that José or any other manager would finish above Man. City in 2018 with that United squad... City were light years ahead of teams like United, Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool etc at the time so finishing second was a decent achievement... Certainly not failure.

Last edited:
I saw someone describe Pep as "Jose in a technicolor coat". And that is not far off.

Both developed their respective style of football beyond its previous limits, both serial winners, both divisive.
But Jose's achievements at Porto and Inter edges out Pep's CV for now.

Pep's teams play attacking football that is frequently a joy to watch.
But after last night, the pattern is clear. The "heir to Cruyff", the "footballing philosopher", is a bottle job in the biggest matches.
If Pep is not prepared to stick to his philosophy when he has one of the most expensively & corruptly assembled squads in world football, plays De Bruyne as a right-winger, and picks all three of Gundogan, Rodri and Fernandinho leaving the creative sparks of Mahrez, the Silvas and Foden on the bench, then he's a coward.
Yes, a good manager should introduce tactics to counter the threat of a team like Bayern in their current imperious form. But Lyon?
FFS. If Shitty had their best players out there, playing the 4-3-3 formation they play week in, week out, they would have mullered Lyon. Or at least gone down playing creative, exciting, football.
I often find Mourinho's football boring to watch. But he is most definitely not a bottle job. And I would trust him to implement a tactical plan to beat better sides far more than I would Guardiola.
I can see Jose watching last night's clusterfuck with a huge and knowing grin on his face. Bring on next season's mind games.
:mourbringit::mourlmao:

Mourinho is practical, as he has often said himself about how to play or line up, “it depends.” Pep’s sides are typically so fluid and good in attacking that he plays the same way just about every game. He is not good about being practical. When he tries to be, he usually fails.

This City squad looks beat up. After several years at the top and unable to get a breakthrough in the CL, I really think they were going to lose to Lyon regardless of the tactics. Still, you should go down fighting with your best. I don’t understand how Bernardo Silva and Mahrez were on the bench.

On this note, I don’t expect City to be a juggernaut in the PL next season. Liverpool will have lost its hunger as well, given that they’ve won the CL and PL. There is an opportunity for a new team to win the PL. A few more good additions to Spurs (RB, back up striker, maybe a CB, maybe a good young pacy winger) and we will be in contention.

what alot of people seem to forget, is that not only did jose finish second and won two trophies, but he also got to another fa cup final, where his team lost against contes chelsea, all this in two years.

Also by the time his man u team played sevilla in the champions league, he was having issues with pogba in the team.

I think most coaches consider Jose to be among the most influential and brightest footballing minds this century. He has developed counter attacking football as much as Pep has Cruyffian total football.
I think people like to watch Pep-ball more than Mou-ball but that does not mean he has no legacy. Its like a football arms race. Defensive,organisational teams respond to great attacking teams and vice versa.
Great point and - love it or hate it - seeing teams play defensively has brought up the entire standard of the European leagues so there are no ‘easy’ games anymore (case in point, Lyon yesterday).

Hang on.

Did you see the players Jose had and the money he spent?

De Gea, Mata, Martial, Rooney, Herrera and Rashford were all established players, he then spent another £420 millino to finish second?

What does that say about his purchasing?

Between 2010/11 and 2019/2020, Jose spent:

£913,000,000

And within that same period has managed the likes of:

Ronaldo, Kaka, Casillas, Benzema, Xabi Alonso, Higuain, Ramos, Modric, Ozil, di Maria, Cole, Terry, Cech, Lampard, Salah, de Bruyne, Hazard, Torres, Eto'o, Fabregas, Courtois, Matic, Diego Costa, Drogba, Falcao, Ibrahimovic, Lukaku, de Gea, Pogba, Rooney, Martial, Carrick, Rashford, Sanchez, Lloris, Kane, Son.

He's won 0 Champions Leagues within that time and the domestic league twice.

Here's hoping he can win it all for us next year!

I think most coaches consider Jose to be among the most influential and brightest footballing minds this century. He has developed counter attacking football as much as Pep has Cruyffian total football.
I think people like to watch Pep-ball more than Mou-ball but that does not mean he has no legacy. Its like a football arms race. Defensive,organisational teams respond to great attacking teams and vice versa.
It's a bit like the debate about philosophers vs engineers in academia. One side challenges established theories and twists and turns preconceptions and debate to showcase the sport in their way. The other side runs practical experiments until they find the optimal solution. And then they run without until they are forced to run new experiments.

Pep is a football philosopher. Even in defeat he will push for his brand of the sport. Jose is an engineer. He tinkers and experiments until he finds a working formula.

I think the only negative you could have against Pep is that he’s probably under achieved in his managerial career. Less so with Barca where he probably had the best team in recent memory but I’m surprised he hasn’t won’t a CL or two with Bayern and Man City. But himself and his teams have set such high standards, that may be a little harsh.

Having said that, if the question were revised to say “Who would be a better manager at Spurs?”, then I’d say Mourinho. While Mourinho has done it at top teams, the champions league wins with Porto and Inter were more noteworthy than the two Pep got at Barca. That Barca team had some of the best players in a generation, if not all time, the other two teams couldn’t say that. While both have spent a tone of money at the teams they’ve managed, Mourinho has done better with what he had at the time. If Pep were to take over Spurs tomorrow, I could see him wanting to replace 7 or 8 of the starting eleven as I don’t think we have many players who confirm to his style of play.

Considering Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer of all managers could pretty much get a worse Man Utd squad to a Europa League final tomorrow. I'd say it would be likely, yes.

I don't think Guardiola would have done any worse if he had taken over from FA Cup winner Louis van Gaal and spent the same £370,000,000.
:mourear:

I love how the Utd squad is “worse” now than when Jose had it.

Wasn’t the mantra the other day that Pogba and Martial are better than they’ve ever been now, and that was used to slate Jose’s vision...
They also have an 85M CB so that must be good right?
Everyone wanted Wan Bissaka.....oh look he’s at Utd now.
Bruno Fernandes....yep you all wanted him too and slated the club for not signing him.

Same guy calling it a worse squad calling Greenwood one of the best prospects in Europe two days ago....
So out with Zlatan who didn’t play the EL final and the rest is pretty much the same players other than 4 players that people wanted us to sign.

LOL

comparing Jose to The feel good but terrible squad manager OGS instead of the Klopp’s and Simeone’s (who’ve both pulled his pants down and spanked him in UCL) Kinda proves the point.

Back
Top Bottom