Mourinho's preferred formation

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thread to speculate on our end game.

For me, our midfield is completely fucked for Joses preferred 4231 system. We dont have 1 good DM never mind 2.

Harry winks - Not good enough. Cant play DM too weak to play CM
Sissoko - Cant play DM as not enought passing range - cant play box to box as doesnt score goals
GLC - can only play AMC, we have alli
Dier - Past it
Wanyama - crocked
Ndombele - crap defensively, no good in a two, needs a 3 man midfield

The only chance weve got is a 3 man midfield, but then we still need a top DM.

..............Son......Kane......Moura
........Ndombele..DM...GLC

Even then that midfield looks terrible defensively.

I think were up shit creek. We need two midfielders with the style of Kroos/Modric/Alonso/Khedira

tottenham-mourinho-4-2-3-1.png

headache-III.jpg

Now that the window has closed. How are we thinking JM will setup if everyone was fit.

Traditionally 4231 has been the best formation for us.

More and more now I am seeing 433 being played.

I think a team like this is what JM would like

Lloris
Aurier Alde Jan Davies
Dele Ndombele Lo Celso
Bergwijn Kane Son

Personally that team is too attacking.

I'd like to see a 4141

Lloris
Aurier Alde Jan Davies
Dier
Bergwijn Ndombele Lo Celso Son
Kane

But we will have to massively upgrade at DM to do it.

Mourinho said yesterday that he sees Winks as Tottenham future CDM. And Winks is changing his game after Mou. I like the prospect.

Winks has the passing range to play DM easily but it’s the positional that’s is the issue. He sometimes gets attracted to the ball or just generally flys out to confront leaving a gap. If he is to play that role he needs to learn when to come out and when to drop off more.

When Carrick played for us in the early days he was like Winks, lovely passer but positionally all over the shop without the ball, he used to drive England fans nuts at the lack of protection he gave during national games.

Then after going to United he started to develop a great positional sense and became a sort of English Busquets. Winks has a lovely passing range and great mobility but it takes a lot of work to get the positional and without the positional you can’t play DM as well as needed.

I tend to think right now Mourinho has little option but to train Winks for the number 6 and Dele for the striker role if he wants a target man, we are quite limited there.

Winks has the passing range to play DM easily but it’s the positional that’s is the issue. He sometimes gets attracted to the ball or just generally flys out to confront leaving a gap. If he is to play that role he needs to learn when to come out and when to drop off more.

When Carrick played for us in the early days he was like Winks, lovely passer but positionally all over the shop without the ball, he used to drive England fans nuts at the lack of protection he gave during national games.

Then after going to United he started to develop a great positional sense and became a sort of English Busquets. Winks has a lovely passing range and great mobility but it takes a lot of work to get the positional and without the positional you can’t play DM as well as needed.

I agree with everything you said. Just saying it could work.
Also, it´s better than the idea of not knowing who to stick with for the number 6 role: him or Dier. Jose clearly made his choice, witch will affect the way we play - starting now.

It's definetely a 4-2-3-1, but I can see it becoming a 4-3-3 when we will need a goal.
Normally:
Lloris
Aurier - Tangs - Toby - Jan
Ndombele - Lo Celso
Lucas - Dele - Bergwijn
Son

I tend to think right now Mourinho has little option but to train Winks for the number 6 and Dele for the striker role if he wants a target man, we are quite limited there.
Or Parrott as target man. He's young but physically already quite mature. We haven't seen much of him but there's Kane levels of hype around his youth team performances, maybe more. Dele isn't that great in the air, or even holding the ball up. I'd rather we look for other ways to play, but if Mou really wants a target man, maybe Parrott is this best we have.

Thread to speculate on our end game.

For me, our midfield is completely fucked for Joses preferred 4231 system. We dont have 1 good DM never mind 2.

Harry winks - Not good enough. Cant play DM too weak to play CM
Sissoko - Cant play DM as not enought passing range - cant play box to box as doesnt score goals
GLC - can only play AMC, we have alli
Dier - Past it
Wanyama - crocked
Ndombele - crap defensively, no good in a two, needs a 3 man midfield

The only chance weve got is a 3 man midfield, but then we still need a top DM.

..............Son......Kane......Moura
........Ndombele..DM...GLC

Even then that midfield looks terrible defensively.

I think were up shit creek. We need two midfielders with the style of Kroos/Modric/Alonso/Khedira

Nonsense..... Ndombele & GLC are both forward focused players.

That's why the purchase of a proper DM is so vital.

Mourinho said yesterday that he sees Winks as Tottenham future CDM. And Winks is changing his game after Mou. I like the prospect.

Winks has been played as such for the last 12 months or more.... He's not the answer longer term.

Again; that's why the purchase of a proper DM is so vital.

Winks has been played as such for the last 12 months or more.... He's not the answer longer term.

He played as such for the last 12 months or more, but just two and a half of that under Mou. I believe he is changing. Passing forwards, winning duels... Let´s see.

Almost perfect today

[FORMATION=4231,Lloris,Aurier,Toby,Sanchez,Tanganga,Winks,Lo Celso,Lucas,Ndombele,Bergwijn,Son][/FORMATION]

Think the Winks-Lo Celso combo really works. Ndombele is such a talent but maybe he’d be better further forward, he will never give the greatest defensive contribution but his skill level is insane and he can pick the lock of opposition teams.

I used to think Lo Celso would be forward and Ndombele deeper but maybe not. Only issue for me is Lucas and Lamela, both seem best off the bench so I guess revolve between them.

Think the Winks-Lo Celso combo really works.

I'm not sure.

Today was amazing, but once the buzz wears off, I think we'll have to admit that we got away with one today. Winks runs his absolute bollocks off, but I don't think he has anything near what it takes to play in a 2. Looked better in the second half, but they were down to 10.

Great to see him bringing the ball out, but I just don't think he's big enough for that role.

Back
Top Bottom