Mourinho's preferred formation

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

[FORMATION=4231,Lloris,Aurier,Toby,Sanchez,Tanganga,Winks,Lo Celso,Lucas,Ndombele,Bergwijn,Son][/FORMATION]

Think the Winks-Lo Celso combo really works. Ndombele is such a talent but maybe he’d be better further forward, he will never give the greatest defensive contribution but his skill level is insane and he can pick the lock of opposition teams.

I used to think Lo Celso would be forward and Ndombele deeper but maybe not. Only issue for me is Lucas and Lamela, both seem best off the bench so I guess revolve between them.

Good as it gets at the moment.

We need a winks upgrade in the shape of the new Carrick/Modric. And a LB, then shift Tanganga inside.

I'm not sure.

Today was amazing, but once the buzz wears off, I think we'll have to admit that we got away with one today. Winks runs his absolute bollocks off, but I don't think he has anything near what it takes to play in a 2. Looked better in the second half, but they were down to 10.

Great to see him bringing the ball out, but I just don't think he's big enough for that role.
Winks was exceptional today as was the calming influence of Hugo but we badly need a DM.

I'd play Alli up top and play Lucas/Lam/Berg/Son wide (2/4) until Kane is back.

Drop Ndom in with Winks and Lo Celsius...Fernandes if any of them are unfit or need resting.

I'm not sure.

Today was amazing, but once the buzz wears off, I think we'll have to admit that we got away with one today. Winks runs his absolute bollocks off, but I don't think he has anything near what it takes to play in a 2. Looked better in the second half, but they were down to 10.

Great to see him bringing the ball out, but I just don't think he's big enough for that role.

Winksy and Lo Celso are ideal players for a 25 man Tottenham squad. I'm not sure Winksy is someone we can have in there week in, week out but I did think he was out MOTM today. Tough on a couple but Winks as backup/ rotation DM I have absolutely no issues with, in fact I think he's a great little option and we are lucky to have a acaemdy trained player like him we can rely on instead of just having him for the required numbers.

Lo Celso, you can see why he was called a ruby in Argentina. Busy but elegant with it what a buy!

He has to make the decision soon whether to fuck around longer with Lucas up top or deploy Son more there instead. Things got better today as we started the second half with Son on top.

He has to make the decision soon whether to fuck around longer with Lucas up top or deploy Son more there instead. Things got better today as we started the second half with Son on top.

Short term issue, when Kane is back Lucas get's benched, if Bergwijn, Dele, Son, Ndombele and Lucas can chip in with goals in the interim it's no big problem. In a perverse way not having bought a second striker allows Mourinho to rotate all his AM's for a few weeks ... every cloud has a sliver lining if you look hard enough.

Short term issue, when Kane is back Lucas get's benched, if Bergwijn, Dele, Son, Ndombele and Lucas can chip in with goals in the interim it's no big problem. In a perverse way not having bought a second striker allows Mourinho to rotate all his AM's for a few weeks ... every cloud has a sliver lining if you look hard enough.
Dont even have to look hard at all for me. It is unfortunately too rbight and clear. I have a towel dedicted to wipe waters off my eyes theseday when I watch Spurs football lol. When is Kane coming back. How short is short?

[FORMATION=4231,Lloris,Aurier,Toby,Sanchez,Tanganga,Winks,Lo Celso,Lucas,Ndombele,Bergwijn,Son][/FORMATION]

Think the Winks-Lo Celso combo really works. Ndombele is such a talent but maybe he’d be better further forward, he will never give the greatest defensive contribution but his skill level is insane and he can pick the lock of opposition teams.

I used to think Lo Celso would be forward and Ndombele deeper but maybe not. Only issue for me is Lucas and Lamela, both seem best off the bench so I guess revolve between them.

Agreed about Ndombele....

Back 4
GLC / DM / Ndombele
RW / Kane / LW

or

Back 4
DM / GLC
RW / Ndombele / LW
Kane
......I'd prefer the 433

I think Tanguy struggles with 90 minutes and will this season. It wouldn't surprise me to see him continue as a bench option but the class is there for all to see.

I'm cool with that... Perhaps give him the first hour vs Saints on Wednesday and build him up bit by bit.

Any educated guesses about our set up going forward?

The man quite stubbornly set us up in a 5-2-3 in the last 2 games despite the early signs against Burnley, and the formation change at half time.

The allegedly prefered formation by Mourinho is 4-2-3-1, which also looked to work in the early days. Since then we've been figured out, the "new manager bounce" wore off and the rebirth of Dele Alli has become an urban myth.

I would prefer a 4-3-3 as I feel it would complement our current squad in the best manner. Wouldn't suit Dele in particular, but he would have to adapt or be a super sub. No more 5atb for me please. The extra defender doesn't seem to up the quality of our defending.

Any educated guesses about our set up going forward?

The man quite stubbornly set us up in a 5-2-3 in the last 2 games despite the early signs against Burnley, and the formation change at half time.

The allegedly prefered formation by Mourinho is 4-2-3-1, which also looked to work in the early days. Since then we've been figured out, the "new manager bounce" wore off and the rebirth of Dele Alli has become an urban myth.

I would prefer a 4-3-3 as I feel it would complement our current squad in the best manner. Wouldn't suit Dele in particular, but he would have to adapt or be a super sub. No more 5atb for me please. The extra defender doesn't seem to up the quality of our defending.
All of his best teams played 4-3-3 with a brute up front and goal scoring wide forwards. If we can give him the tools for that formation I think he will do well for us. Those wide players are hard to come by though. We have Son who is perfect but finding another will be tough. I rate Lucas but he isn’t that type of player, more of a traditional winger

Perhaps most important is the DM though, his successful teams all had amazing players there, Makelele, Matic etc

All of his best teams played 4-3-3 with a brute up front and goal scoring wide forwards. If we can give him the tools for that formation I think he will do well for us. Those wide players are hard to come by though. We have Son who is perfect but finding another will be tough. I rate Lucas but he isn’t that type of player, more of a traditional winger

Perhaps most important is the DM though, his successful teams all had amazing players there, Makelele, Matic etc
I assume that Bergwijn was bought with him being that other winger in mind.

Back
Top Bottom