Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Classic case of grass not always greener etc

There wasn’t many wishing him back to a full recovery and looking forward to him returning to the first team...they were looking forward to his replacement

Dembele was written off every window for the last three seasons as a crock, and came back stronger every time.

Gutted it’s finally come to his sale. I’d seriously rather have him til the summer and lose him for free but I understand that’s not how a competent business works.

Dembele for just 4 months for me though is worth more than 9M.
Let’s hope we can unearth a forward with that now, I have high hopes for Skipp til May.

I think many are ignoring what Dembele wanted as motivation for him leaving. He wanted to go and Poch had to sanction it and after 6.5 years of good service and the fact that he could go for free at the end of the season, he agreed. We all keep saying what a great person Poch is and to deny Dembele his wish would have been hard. The China option would not have been there in the summer as their season would be half way through and another year also unlikely. Despite fans wishes including mine to keep him until the end of the season, it was the right thing to do. Good luck to him.

Classic case of grass not always greener etc

There wasn’t many wishing him back to a full recovery and looking forward to him returning to the first team...they were looking forward to his replacement

Dembele was written off every window for the last three seasons as a crock, and came back stronger every time.

Gutted it’s finally come to his sale. I’d seriously rather have him til the summer and lose him for free but I understand that’s not how a competent business works.

Dembele for just 4 months for me though is worth more than 9M.
Let’s hope we can unearth a forward with that now, I have high hopes for Skipp til May.
Surely it is as much down to the player's wishes. This is the start of the Chinese season so his most profitable move was now

I just realised that with Moose gone, the last player i was a fan of (in the way you were fan as a youngster) is dissapearing. I still admire players for their skill, determination, performances and so on but not as a fan, none that i consider to be idols as at a certain age having idols feels a bit silly, really

Dele, Eriksen, Dier, Sissoko, Winks, Skipp, Wanyama.

You don't have to include Wanyama if you don't want to, I probably wouldn't actually but that still leaves 6 places for 3 positions.

Or we could move back to 4231 which isn't out of the realms of possibility considering we dominated Man Utd in the second half last week with this formation, which means we have SIX options to fill two places out. Or whilst we have our "injury crisis" we play 3 at the back which also allows us to play a two man midfield with added protection.

Every single one of those options (with the exception of Skipp) has played in a midfield 2 for the first team.

You don't think Winks and Dier have proven anything. Luckily Pochettino is our manager and has put more than enough of his faith in them and obviously thinks they're worth a damn.

I've been worried about our midfield since the summer when we failed to upgrade on Dembele and Wanyama, yet here we are in three cup competitions and breaking our records in the Premier League. So what do we know?

I remain positive because we've performed very well WITHOUT Dembele. If we weren't, I'd be worried. I personally don't think we'll miss him going forward. I mean of course we will miss the beautiful balance, ability to beat a man etc. but I mean as a team. We're already evolving with the move towards a new formation and style to our play, a quicker thinking team with players who don't dawdle too much on the ball for example.

I just hope in the summer we address the problems.

1) Actually it seems you misread what I said - on contrary I pointed out that Winks and Dier are tested and proven. Rather there are questions if Sissoko will continue to be a monster (which I clearly hope he will, but it is not guaranteed, as he really has been very good for us like for 2,5 months within 2,5 seasons).
2) Okay, then we pretty much agree that it is actually not 7 but 5 (as Wanyama does not seem to be relied upon and Skipp is not really ready for big oppositions; if he would have been, Sissoko would have not been played 8 times within 25 days).
3) And among those 5 are Eriksen and Alli, who are neither CMs and we INSTANTLY lose in quality higher up the field (specially when we do not have Kane and Son) if we play them there. They are cover options, not CMs.

So we have 3 reliable CM's, out of whom one has been good for last months + two players who can be shifted there, but while doing so we lose out in other departments. And we have 4 competitions going on, in all of those we face EPL level clubs (literally - in EFL there are Chelsea and ManC left, in FA we'll play Palace, not to mention Dortmund).

We will see how that will turn out. I am just pointing out that in fact WE ARE really light in CM departement. And there really is no point listing here names for listing them.
We are in 4 competitions, true, but the decisive phases still are yet to come. We have not really win anything, have we ? :D

P.S - I really do not see why would you ridicule someone who say that we are in injury crises / light when in fact for next game we only have Winks, Skipp, Eriksen, Alli, Lamela and Llorente (so that is 6 players into 5 or 6 positions) to pick from into ALL the midfield/forward positions?
And out of those 6 there are TWO players who have started only ONE EPL GAME for us during their whole time.

Last edited:
15478595073189148.gif

I miss this guy already ;(

Levy sold or short changed another title chase for a few millions in my book when he sold Dembele last January without a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom