Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mousa Dembele has told the Belgium media he is dissatisfied with his current role with Tottenham Hotspur.
"I can not be satisfied with it, of course, I just want to play as many games."
"The coach explained that he makes a tactical choice, he wants more defensive players in midfield."

Be interesting to know where people feel the Moose would fit best into our team.

As far as my knowledge on him goes, I believe he used to be a centre forward, dropping to a CAM for Fulham, and now he plays DM for us (or maybe you could call it a deep-lying playmaker)?

We all remember his partnership with Sandro blossoming. I feel playing with such a sturdy DEFENSIVE-MINDED midfielder gives him the freedom to roam forward and cause more problems.

He seems much more restricted next to Paulinho as the Brazilian seems to endlessly find his way into the box, meaning he has to hold back.

I'd love to see him given that freedom to canter forward again. His elegance as he glides so effortlessly past players is a sight to behold, and something we haven't seen enough of lately.

i fricking love Dembele, but he definitely inst suited to our formation, unless we give him a go at the attacking midfielder role, seeing as Eriksen and Hotlby have been pretty useless thus far. I think in that role he could suck in challenges and skip past people, creating angles and space to play in the striker. Just a thought

I don't think he has the decision making skills to play just behind the striker, he needs Sandro or Capoue alongside him, he isn't half as effective alongside anyone else.

It has to be him or Paulinho in midfield. It can't be both

against top quality teams a 3 of Sandro/Capoue, Paulinho and Dembele could work to shutdown the center of the pitch

sure not the most creative but if we're camped in defending then they could win the ball and feed the flanks asap to hit teams on the counter, then have Pauli and Dembele making late runs into the box to support the striker and get on the end of crosses

but I do agree Pauli and Dembele being the deeper 2 does not seem to work well at all

The problem with pushing Dembele forward is that he basically isnt any good in those areas and his main skill gets nullified.

When he picks the ball up in deeper positions his dribbling skills are utilised and he progresses our play, and when he takes players out of the game by going past them he can really make things happen and create space. However, he doesnt add much once we are in the final 3rd.

Look at his time at Fulham - Striker, barely scored - Winger, barely assisted - CAM, same again - CM with Danny Murphy, looks frickin amazing.
He had such obvious quality they spent ages trying to fit him in, but it wasnt until he sat in the 2 with Murphy that he actually looked like performing to his ability.
Murphy had no legs so sat and sprayed passes, Dembele went on to boss the midfield ahead of him and they both dropped in to defend.

By and large thats his game for us, particularly when Sandro plays.

With Paulinho he sits a bit deeper tactically, but even so is picking up the ball and advancing play - and is found all over the pitch.

Accepting he is not really an attacking player, but more of a CM I think his biggest weakness is in his passing. In both selection and execution (speed of execution). He dwells on the ball too much for me. I think if he played the same game as he does now, but released the ball quickly and forwards he would suddenly look incredible.

Paulinho does add genuine goal threat IMO, late runs into the box, prepared to shoot, good in the air, even some smart passing in/around the box... Of the two I think AVB has it right in Paulinho pushing up more.

Given that neither Holtby or Eriksen have especially impressed in the CAM role, I wonder if its worth trying a more orthodox 433 and playing Sandro - Paulinho - Dembele in midfield. Sandro destroying, Dembele free to own the midfield and Paulinho in a position to regularly get in on goal.

He played centre back for a bit on sunday whilst Vlad was injured in the first half. I think he can clearly play anywhere on the pitch. Maybe he fits into the 'master of none' when it comes to positions.

i fricking love Dembele, but he definitely inst suited to our formation, unless we give him a go at the attacking midfielder role
I disagree. It depends who plays alongside him. It doesn't work with Paulinho. Either of them could be pushed further forward.
Has to be Sandro or Capoue next to him to get the right balance.

...seeing as Eriksen and Hotlby have been pretty useless thus far. I think in that role he could suck in challenges and skip past people, creating angles and space to play in the striker. Just a thought
I suspect many will disagree with you, but I have to agree in the main. Though would I like him to push Dembélé further forward or persist with Eriksen and Holtby? - probably the latter. I rate them both very highly and think they (or at least one of them) needs an extended run in the team for us to get the best out of them.

In conclusion, I think the position we currently play Moose in is his best, but his partner at DM and the role he is being given doesn't suit him particularly.

He played centre back for a bit on sunday whilst Vlad was injured in the first half. I think he can clearly play anywhere on the pitch. Maybe he fits into the 'master of none' when it comes to positions.
Or perhaps he just needs time in a position to actually master it? Seems to have been shoved from pillar to post for most of his career to me. Its less than 2 seasons now he has been playing CM as far as I know...

I suspect many will disagree with you, but I have to agree in the main. Though would I like him to push Dembélé further forward or persist with Eriksen and Holtby? - probably the latter. I rate them both very highly and think they (or at least one of them) needs an extended run in the team for us to get the best out of them.
To complicate things further I think Holtby could be very useful in CM instead of CAM. He has the energy and workrate to cover/press etc as needed and he passes quickly and aggressively which I think would be very valuable for us.

Capoue's tendancy to look to pass forward and early was a revelation when he came on the other day, added a bit of pace to our attack, I think Hotlby could be similar

Given that neither Holtby or Eriksen have especially impressed in the CAM role, I wonder if its worth trying a more orthodox 433 and playing Sandro - Paulinho - Dembele in midfield. Sandro destroying, Dembele free to own the midfield and Paulinho in a position to regularly get in on goal.

I do like that idea especially against top teams but then the onus would really be on our widemen to create plenty of chances and whip in plenty of crosses. Lamela wide right torturing defenses with Walker on the overlap and Townsend wide left wiping in crosses should do the trick lol

I do like that idea especially against top teams but then the onus would really be on our widemen to create plenty of chances and whip in plenty of crosses. Lamela wide right torturing defenses with Walker on the overlap and Townsend wide left wiping in crosses should do the trick lol
Id be happy with that. I also would hope Paulinho would actually play off of/with Soldado more and so between them they occupy defenders and make space as well.

To complicate things further I think Holtby could be very useful in CM instead of CAM. He has the energy and workrate to cover/press etc as needed and he passes quickly and aggressively which I think would be very valuable for us.

Capoue's tendancy to look to pass forward and early was a revelation when he came on the other day, added a bit of pace to our attack, I think Hotlby could be similar
I agree. He played CM for Schalke, with the freedom to push forward, and this seemed to suit him very well. Dembélé could play that role. As could Paulinho.
But then we'd have to play a flat 4 midfield, and I'm not sure AVB knows this formation exists...

Id be happy with that. I also would hope Paulinho would actually play off of/with Soldado more and so between them they occupy defenders and make space as well.

With Sandro playing it would release both Pauli and Dembele to join in the attacks. Definitely an option to consider trying out. We did play Capoue, Pauli and Dembele against the scum at their gaff and although we lost we won the possession by a good bit lol something we haven't done for a very long time

Back
Top Bottom