Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Immense, he really makes us tick and no one can do what he does quite like he does it. He seems to float so gracefully and makes it look easy going past players or turning them and keeping the ball.
When he needs to be he is stronger than pretty much everyone else too.

Benefiting big time from switching back to the 4-2-3-1. Dier advanced opening space up for Moose who's been Spurs best player over the last month or so ( Eriksen a close second). Seems like the 5 man BL will never suit him so it will be interesting to see if Poch continues to roll wth this formation for the rest of the campaign

giphy.gif

Sucks players towards him like metal to a magnet, break that and the space is found. Same when we payout from the back, the melts don't like us doing that, want us to lump it up field, "clear our lines", "stop fanning about with it".
What he does off the ball is still massively underrated, shuts down so many attacks, pushing oppo out wide, slowing down oppo allowing our defence to reset.

We've truly seen some exceptional midfielders at Spurs over the years - players that just seem to play a different game than some of those around them. Gazza, Ginola, Hoddle, Modric and Bale all did things that elevated them above other merely 'excellent' midfielders. Dembele, while he clearly has some weaknesses in his game, carries the ball like no-one I've ever seen with my own two eyes. That moment last night when he took the ball half the length of the pitch, past two or three Juve players... without even looking like they could see him, let alone tackle him.

Sometimes I wish he'd just dribble the ball into the net, just to prove he can.

His incisive and accurate passing forward the past few games has really helped us too. Cuts opponents out of the game.

Sucks players towards him like metal to a magnet, break that and the space is found. Same when we payout from the back, the melts don't like us doing that, want us to lump it up field, "clear our lines", "stop fanning about with it".
What he does off the ball is still massively underrated, shuts down so many attacks, pushing oppo out wide, slowing down oppo allowing our defence to reset.
I watched him very closely at wembley on saturday. His off the ball endeavours are really underrated. He is almost always there to assist in the middle third of the pitch. I thought he was outstanding on Saturday but even better last night because with all due disrespect to the nomads, the opposition last night was much superior.
The Moose just brushes “world class” players aside.
The power & skill of the man is off the charts.
Midfield General extraordinaire.

Last edited:
The man has been brilliant for years. When he was at Fulham, he possessed all the key attributes he does now, he seems to have shredded a lot of weight since joining us and his fitness has just gone through the roof again under Poch. Great to seem him doing what he does for a full 90.

I hate the "he only passes side-wards brigade", yes he is, for the most part a side-wards passer of the ball, but usually he has gone past a few people, moved us 25 yards up the pitch and drawn in quiet a few players from the opposition in the process ruining their defensive lines. When he does play that side-wards pass, most of the time its to the likes of Erickson, Alli or Son who have already benefited from what he has done and are able to play that killer ball. Just watch how many times the play goes, Dembele, attacking player, Kane, goal.

Will finish on his pass through to Kane last night, beauty (and definitely not side-wards). Great goal scoring opportunity.

I hate the "he only passes side-wards brigade", yes he is, for the most part a side-wards passer of the ball, but usually he has gone past a few people, moved us 25 yards up the pitch and drawn in quiet a few players from the opposition in the process ruining their defensive lines. When he does play that side-wards pass, most of the time its to the likes of Erickson, Alli or Son who have already benefited from what he has done and are able to play that killer ball. Just watch how many times the play goes, Dembele, attacking player, Kane, goal.

Absolutely this. Going past one player means overs have to come across and leave their man. Sometimes this produces zero benefit, other times it's absolutely decisive in terms of giving our attacking players more space and freedom. His ability to do this is in absolute contrast to the type of player who makes these runs, then ends up surrounded by opponents with no viable out-ball (I'm looking at you Taraabt).

Thought Dembele’s best days were behind him. So happy to be so wrong.

This has to be one his best, if not his best stretches at Spurs.
Yeah it looked like the injures had sadly taken there toll! Such a good underrated players, I don't think Belgium start him in most games over the last 5 years or so either.
I would happily take getting 20/25 games a season out of dembele for the next few years. Also, we could get whoever we want to take over his position long term in the team for most of the other games in which dembele can't play in. Or maybe poch feels as though we have enough players already. Obviously there will be no like for like replacement as he is a 1 off.

Back
Top Bottom