Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

overall. I have to say it’s time to get off the guys back. He’s being subjected to idiotic hyperbole far too often. Not good enough for a 5 a Side team ? Seriously. How is that credible.

He’s a better player than all of us who post - he’s a better player than pretty much anyone we even know. Shit he’s a better player than 90% of the Premier League !

Ok he’s not Bale, he’s not even Dembélé. But Christ get off the guys back. He’s breaking a sweat for us week in and week out this season.

if we need to make a direct comparison look at Dier yesterday, was he really so much better / worse - so why the hate ?

Because some bitter Geordie fans dug him out and he cost a lot of money does not make him shit. Anymore than he’s Maradonna. Time to leave the guy alone
While I don't agree that he is better than 90% of the PL I agree with your post as a whole. The guy gets way more flack than he deserves and is often our scapegoat for bad games this season. There are both better and worse players than Moussa Sissoko out there.

I guess people need a scapegoat, and it is easier to lay the blame on one of the worse players in the side than to lay it on one of the front men.

A couple of years ago it was Paulinho, it was Rose for a while, it was Pav for a while and it was Vlad for a while.

sadly when the collective are off individual weaknesses are highlighted. If for instance we had one clear opportunity a match that Harry missed we would start to question him. I'm not comparing Sissoko to Kane but using it as an example. I understand his strengths but his weaknesses outweigh them ten fold... maybe injuries have secured his place? I don't know but I would prefer to see him moved on for both his, the clubs and the fans sake.
You nailed it with the injuries point. Sissoko is one of 2 central midfielders (not counting the attacking ones like Dele and Eriksen) who have been 100% fit all season. So of course he has had to step in a lot since Dembéle and Winks have battled niggling injuries and Wanyama was out for most of the fall. If all of those guys were 100% fit Sissoko would most likely be a bench player with a set position to play at which would probably mean that he would be able to focus on that one role for when he does come on. But as is he has had to basically rotate all around our midfield to fill whatever hole has needed filling.

I believe versatility is his biggest strength which at times is very handy. He is strong and can sure up the defence and cause a nightmare for the opposition when breaking. The problem is his control, passing and shooting is woeful and the most frustrating part of his game.

Late on you don't get many chances against a stretched opposition however these are golden chances where we've seriously punished teams in the past but with Sissoko as part of the transition it often breaks down.

Yesterday others were at fault also and seemed to get the ball caught up in their feet (expect pitch played a big part).
I said it earlier on here. But I think he should have been converted to a pure sweeper DM earlier. Sissoko has decent defensive play and covers for our rightbacks a lot. He's also big and strong and breaks up play for the oppo a lot. And with his speed he could be an important defensive tool (already is, just look at his runs to stop Bertrand and Tadic yesterday).

It's never too late and he is only 28, so he has a good 5 or so years left as a pro unless he suffers a bad injury. But that is a conversion that should have happened much earlier IMO to get the best out of him.

LoL are all the posters here trolls?

Yesterday was a shit performance .... BUT .... out of the ten outfield players Sissoko rated second highest 7.1 with both OPTA and Sqwaka .... still not great but there's another eight players you should be trolling before you blame the big guy .... Son 6.1 and Dele 6.4 both had they're lowest ratings of the EPL season ... how about trolling them?

Except those other 8 players have actually had more than one decent game for Spurs in their careers.
Sissoko hasn't. He's been very poor since we signed him. Being one of the least shit players in a particular game still mean's your shit.

He's now played around games for Spurs. In how many of those matches can you say - "wow, Sissoko really impressed me today"?

Not the players fault we were stupid enough to pay 30m for him, but as a player he is a throwback to midfield we had in the 90's. He is nowhere near good enough and has had enough game time to prove his value to the team.

Fed up with seeing him failing to control a pass and mis placing passes, even over 10 yards....yesterday a simple ball into aurier over 15 yards resulted in aurier having to stop his run to collect the ball. Pathetic.

He’s a terrible footballer. A testament to fitness over skill in the modern game. Not his fault though, it’s Poch’s fault for picking him.

Fitness is ultimately the most important and most underrated attribute - Sissoko for all his short comings is better than every single injured player in world football.

Fitness is ultimately the most important and most underrated attribute - Sissoko for all his short comings is better than every single injured player in world football.
A smart player will always outperform a “beast”. Kane is not fast and i can see him playing at a very high level until 35-36 years. Sissoko is one bij injury or a couple more years of being done as player in a top league

My point was that super fit players are more likely to feature in modern football than super skilful players - not injured players. And I think you knew that.

Why after every game does someone have to point out a player that was worse than Sissoko. The bar is so low that him not being the worst player on the pitch is some kind of achievement, at least with Son on the pitch we know he has the ability to produce a bit of magic at some point in the game, Sissoko in a year and a half has shown us that he....can run a bit. He's just not good enough for this team, thats why fans are on his back even if he's not literally the worst performer on that given day.
I pointed it out because on the day the criticism wasn't warranted. At times he has frustrated the god damn life out of me but yesteray he was one of the better players.

I'd like to hope that he has the ability to improve, no matter how unlikely that is. So screaming obscenities at him at every opportunity even when he's had an "average" game isn't helpful in that regard. It's not gonna stop Poch from playing him when we need cover either. It's only done to serve the individual dishing it out.

I know he's shit, everyone stood around me knows he's shit, even Sissoko himself probably knows he's shit.
All that the bloke, who looks like a vein in his head is gonna pop every time Sissoko touches the ball, is achieving is pissing off everyone who is unfortunate enough to be sat near him.

I pay my money.... yadda yadda.
there's always at least one, hurling abuse, one comment even more ignorant than the following. You just hope that he doesnt have a season ticket or you're screwed for a long time ... I have one of those behind me (throbbing vein and all that) at my hometeam, all he does is scream and shout the same stupid things over and over again. He's a bloody mountain too so nobody really challenges him and some of us have seen what he tends to do to those that had the courage to challenge him.

I'm sorry, but this is complete fantasy. He's 28 fucking years old; he's not an academy graduate that's going to suddenly kick on into another gear due to "self management". He's a known quantity at this point.

Sissoko is what happens when you purchase a player based primarily on his performance in an international tournament, and ignore his entire club career history.
He produce a performance at the Euros that warranted a 30K price tag. but we all knew it was exceptional for him to play as he did. The gamble is trying too get that form back.

I think Im right in saying he has appeared in more games than any other player in the squad this season. That include coming on as sub.

Not every player in the 11 can be world beaters.
What you fail to understand that is its not always about the end product from a player but his overall performance over 90 mins. Alli can't hit a barn door at the minute, is he awful?
When Sissoko plays, an opposition player will be taken out off the game having to deal with him regardless how he's playing. I used to hate playing against a Sissoko type of player because you can never rest against him. On occasions he will have a blinder and will have a good game-this needs to be more consistent., I agree.
I feel he has got better since he's been with us and yes 28 you can still improve.

I think the reverse. The oppo will be wary of our game changers - Dele, Eriksen, Son, Kane. I'd be marking them tight, but giving Sissoko space so that he gets the ball because he can't hurt you. His passing and control are worse, he doesn't score very often. I applaud his effort, but that's only really notable because there's not much else positive to latch onto.

It's like having Zokora all over again. The one who didn't score a single goal in 134 games. The only player at Spurs I've ever seen subbed on 30 mins with no injury/red card/formation change. It really is a waste of a squad place at a time when we are bit thin. In those days we would swoon for a EUFA place, but now we've been the only title challengers last 2 years, it's very different.

And I wouldn't dream of slagging him off while he's playing for us btw.
But Pippo did not talk about Moussa from a offensive perspective, but a defensive one.

A completely baffling blight on Poch's managerial career now. I will never understand why we purchased him and I will never understand how he still gets game time.

Sissoko is what happens when you purchase a player based primarily on his performance in an international tournament, and ignore his entire club career history.

Hmm not trying to make a point, but I think he was pretty decent at Toulouse and half of a season after that at Newcastle? If I remember correctly, people were saying he's like a cheaper version of Yaya Toure, who was a pretty good player at that time.

Thinking about Sissoko, as you do, he will never be your cultured football player. If people want him to be, your always will be disappointed in him. My only disappointment with him, he doesn't score the odd goal that would make a difference. He does get himself into some great positions, more so than some of the other players who people seem to have blind faith. He will fluff his lines in front of goal, get the winner against Utd and all is forgiven.

Back
Top Bottom