Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, around the same time we got Toby, Son, Kane, Dele, etc.

Until Wanyama, Dier, and Dembele were gone from midfield Sissoko rarely saw the pitch. Yes, he has the ocassional good game, but it's far from good enough.
IfQUhah.png

6HaTBe0.png

4USIZzZ.png

FvCKvwG.png

We had all of them and still finished below Ass but that was just tongue in cheek.

Yeah he isn't good enough to start but he has his purpose in the squad and thats why Jose will use him weather fans like it not not.
Well, that's exactly my point, we're forced to use him because all our good options are gone and we've hardly replaced them.

We should get rid of him and try again. Rather than just settling for him because our transfer business over the last few years have been wank.

Well, that's exactly my point, we're forced to use him because all our good options are gone and we've hardly replaced them.

We should get rid of him and try again. Rather than just settling for him because our transfer business over the last few years have been wank.
Definitely missing his namesake, Mr Dembele, who I don't think has been adequately replaced.

What’s funny is that Sissoko’s “backers” here don’t consider him to be particularly great overall, and in fact acknowledge his obvious limitations.

He’s the worlds biggest football scammer to have pulled the wool eyes over the eyes of Rafa Benitez, Didier Deschamps, Mauricio Pochettino and Jose Mourinho(surely one of these guys would have sussed him out and rumbled him), not to mention how respected he seems to be by several teammates and opponents.

sometimes even if a player isn’t your ideal aesthetically or stylistically, you have to acknowledge their ability to win over coaches. I see Sissoko in much the same vein that I see Ben Davies. They still both have something to offer this squad.

What’s funny is that Sissoko’s “backers” here don’t consider him to be particularly great overall, and in fact acknowledge his obvious limitations.

He’s the worlds biggest football scammer to have pulled the wool eyes over the eyes of Rafa Benitez, Didier Deschamps, Mauricio Pochettino and Jose Mourinho(surely one of these guys would have sussed him out and rumbled him), not to mention how respected he seems to be by several teammates and opponents.

sometimes even if a player isn’t your ideal aesthetically or stylistically, you have to acknowledge their ability to win over coaches. I see Sissoko in much the same vein that I see Ben Davies. They still both have something to offer this squad.
I've oftened wondered if he was going to be Jose's "fall guy".
In the documentary when Jose is told that Sissoko is the most popular in the dressing room, his response was "Fuck" ( or similar).

Obviously Sissoko's application, commitment, desire and dedication won Jose over.
The same as it did for every manager he's played for.

Can he be improved upon? Definitely.
Probably Skipp will replace him next season, or the season after that. But right here and now, he's a useful squad player.

his presence does everything for us thats why we dont get overrun in midfield against the better sides. hes poor technically but you dont see many skip round him and he wins most duals, not to mention the ground he covers, hed be a nightmare to face up against as a footballer. yea hes shit with the ball at his feet, which is why hes detrimental against inferior sides and should never be playing against them unless we are struggling with injuries.

he also doesnt go trying shit hes not capable of, hes happy to win us the ball and give it to someone who can actually use it..you need them dogs in your side sometimes against the better teams.

so... what you are saying is...
that we benefit from playing technically poor player who is awful with controlling the ball... against superior teams?!?

Sounds good, yea. Have Sissoko on field so Liverpool can actually press him, regain possession close to our box and then go straight on the goal. What a cleaver tactical move!

Literally people are complaining that ball moves slowly and we are boring to watch... but it is tricky if 1 out of 2 players that have been sitting in the engine room is not capable of playing easy one-two's. Maybe there is some kind of connection there?

I actually agree that he has been useful in some games this season - for example game against Woolwich comes to mind. In that one I remember him really energetically closing down scum players and putting them on pressure with nudges against shoulders etc. But in most games his contribution is simply not good enough. I really liked to watch our game against Sheffield, when I saw that all of our MF players had at least basic skills needed to be a pro footballer.

so... what you are saying is...
that we benefit from playing technically poor player who is awful with controlling the ball... against superior teams?!?

Sounds good, yea. Have Sissoko on field so Liverpool can actually press him, regain possession close to our box and then go straight on the goal. What a cleaver tactical move!

Literally people are complaining that ball moves slowly and we are boring to watch... but it is tricky if 1 out of 2 players that have been sitting in the engine room is not capable of playing easy one-two's. Maybe there is some kind of connection there?

I actually agree that he has been useful in some games this season - for example game against Woolwich comes to mind. In that one I remember him really energetically closing down scum players and putting them on pressure with nudges against shoulders etc. But in most games his contribution is simply not good enough. I really liked to watch our game against Sheffield, when I saw that all of our MF players had at least basic skills needed to be a pro footballer.
what im saying is, hes better than some of the other shit we have for big games. yes we would want an actual footballer in there who can do both, but we dont have that. id rather sissoko against the better sides than winks or dele.

in an ideal world we would like to go toe to toe with the likes of city but we dont have the midfield to do that. son is also tailor made for the counter attack, stick him in a possession based team and he wouldnt be all that hes not that sort of player, hes all about getting him in behind where hes running down on goal.

to be fair sissoko is actually better when hes pressed imo hahah, give him time and he doesnt know what to do with the ball, acting on instinct hes far better...i think a lot of our weaker players are like that

?

zXWeW2T.png

6th most passes for Spurs this season.

That's a total, which is effected by minutes on the pitch - of which he's played nearly double Winks (who he's mostly been alternating with in CM). he has the 9th average of passes per 90 (33), Winks (46 pg) has more and Hojbjerg (69 pg) averages 3 times as many passes per game. Ndombele is only 1 behind (32) and he's played less minutes and all bar Sunday (where he made 78 passes) as ACM.

Not sure why you are including 2018 WC win in his CV, he was nowhere near it. You're right though, he did play in the 2016 final, where they got beat at home by a shit, Ronaldoless Portugal. Yay.

Yea the club has gone from bad to worse since he joined.

Absolute car crash signing.

Give it a rest

This was a reply to someone earlier in the thread, but yeah, fundamentally there is actually a very tangible correlation with our demise and the minutes Sissoko played for us since joining:

You do understand the that an appearance can mean 1 minute or 90 and as a measurement metric for measuring a players time on the pitch is virtually meaningless ?

Sissoko PL minutes played:

16-17 - 902 - 2nd - 86 points

17-18 - 1394 - 3rd - 77 points

18-19 - 2337 - 4th - 71 points

19-20 - 2455 - 6th - 59 points

How about that for a nice linear correlation?

And no, I'm not saying it is all Sissoko's fault that we declined*, but there is a correlation there.

* I am saying that

Why, he's taking up a valuable non HG space that could go to someone who's a footballer? Surely that would be better?
No doubt there are better CMs out there but who could we realistically get and how much would they cost?

I can't see Jose going for an unproven/up and coming in a critical position.
One that will be a guaranteed starter I mean.

No doubt there are better CMs out there

Stevee, we could chuck a dart into the squad list of midfielders for most teams in Europe's top 7 leagues and there's about a 95% chance we would hit a better midfielder.

but who could we realistically get and how much would they cost?

We could have had Sangare for 9m last summer. And there's a few of those types of bargains kicking around, several in Ligue 1 for sure, and others leagues as well, for 25-30 (no more than we paid for Sissoko 5 years ago) people like Sabitzer & Kessie are reportedly available as they enter latter part of contracts.

I can't see Jose going for an unproven/up and coming in a critical position.
One that will be a guaranteed starter I mean.

If Jose wants to improve this team, he may have to. We signed Bergwijn for 30m without him being on Mou's wish list.

We have got to improve on Sissoko, even as a squad option. It's killing us, even with Mou's bus, and sooner pr later we will have another manager who might want to kick the ball through, not over midfield?

Back
Top Bottom