Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Shows how big confidence is in sport.

He's more often than not been bit timid and hesitant in a Spurs shirt as if he doubts himself and feels inferior. But now we're seeing a player who is actually leading the team forward by not just being a big unit getting in the way of opponents, but by marauding forward with the ball. He even pulled off a class crossfield pass inch perfect to Moura in the second half.

A couple of the passes were so sick all I could do was laugh.

Dat epic bit of control that the commentary noted towards the end too. :lamelashock:

Hk-w0jeuviaseVRijvqM1IqXacxzawB5oes8MUhRy9Q.jpg

Outstanding today as a holding midfielder, covering the defensive line whilst also driving us forward. Our confident, calm and composed colossus. Goes above Dier in the pecking order for me.

Told you he was good ... sure not the best technical player, but football is/was all about heart ... and this lad has the heart of a lion ....

Not sure I’d agree with that. He’s incredibly inconsistent. That was the problem at Newcastle and with France. In most of his games he runs about like a headless chicken, so don’t see how that equates to being an I-told-you-so level of ‘good’, or implies the heart of a lion.

What he’s shown is that he can be a valuable player when he applies himself. Newcastle fans complained that he’d only show up for 1 in 5 games. He’s definitely improving, but he needs to play to that level more regularly.

Not sure I’d agree with that. He’s incredibly inconsistent. That was the problem at Newcastle and with France. In most of his games he runs about like a headless chicken, so don’t see how that equates to being an I-told-you-so level of ‘good’, or implies the heart of a lion.

What he’s shown is that he can be a valuable player when he applies himself. Newcastle fans complained that he’d only show up for 1 in 5 games. He’s definitely improving, but he needs to play to that level more regularly.

I just don't think that's true .... what you see is what you get, he won't score many goals, his final ball will never be great, he won't dazzle you with skill and control, none of that has changed ... if anything he's incredibly consistent, he does the same things well over and over, but also maintains the same flaws ....

What I think is happening is Spurs fans have stopped expecting a "Messi" and started realising he's more of a "Vieira, a dominating box-to-box midfielder, noted for his aggressive and highly competitive style of play" ... not of course that I'm saying he's at that level.

We need to, and indeed are finally starting to do, is admire what Sissoko does well not keep worrying about what he doesn't ...

He's a reliable, tough, fearless, workhorse and impressively he's had the heart to play through a torrent of undeserved abuse, now at last he is starting to win over the fans ... mark my words, he's a future legend ...

Last edited:
I just don't think that's true .... what you see is what you get, he won't score many goals, his final ball will never be great, he won't dazzle you with skill and control, none of that has changed ... if anything he's incredibly consistent, he does the same things well over and over, but also maintains the same flaws ....

What I think is happening is Spurs fans have stopped expecting a "Messi" and started realising he's more of a "Vieira, a dominating box-to-box midfielder, noted for his aggressive and highly competitive style of play" ...

Not saying he's at that level but we need to, and indeed are starting to, admire what he is not keep worrying about what he isn't ...

He's a reliable, tough, fearless, workhorse and impressively he's had the heart to play through a torrent of undeserved abuse, and now at last is starting to win over the fans ... mark my words, he's a future legend ...

Come on now, nobody expected a Messi. The biggest problem is that nobody expected much at all, because he had been so hit and miss at Newcastle. The disappointment when he signed was palpable, and last season he didn’t do much to challenge that initial trepidation.

I still think that inconsistency is his biggest problem. We know he can turn in eye-catching performances (such as in the last Euros), but generally he huffs, puffs, and blows. Some of the stuff he’s done on a football field would be worthy of questioning in The Hague.

However, today was his high watermark for us, and he fully deserves praise for his performance. If he can produce performances close to that in 1 in 3 games he’ll be an asset. Any more than that and he’d be entering peak Sandro territory. Hopefully the acknowledgment from the away fans will give him the confidence to push on and start playing like that consistently, because if he does, your appraisal will be more than justified.

Come on now, nobody expected a Messi. The biggest problem is that nobody expected much at all, because he had been so hit and miss at Newcastle. The disappointment when he signed was palpable, and last season he didn’t do much to challenge that initial trepidation.

I still think that inconsistency is his biggest problem. We know he can turn in eye-catching performances (such as in the last Euros), but generally he huffs, puffs, and blows. Some of the stuff he’s done on a football field would be worthy of questioning in The Hague.

However, today was his high watermark for us, and he fully deserves praise for his performance. If he can produce performances close to that in 1 in 3 games he’ll be an asset. Any more than that and he’d be entering peak Sandro territory. Hopefully the acknowledgment from the away fans will give him the confidence to push on and start playing like that consistently, because if he does, your appraisal will be more than justified.

I think confidence is a big thing in football. I feel like Sissoko knew he never really had the backing of the fans. I mean on Instagram when he used to do live videos, he'd get tons of abuse by Spurs fans telling him he's shit and how they want him to leave etc. That's just fucking bang out of order.

What I find odd is that Newcastle fans always moaned that he was lazy or didn't try - but I've never once seen that from Sissoko in a Spurs shirt, especially not over the last 2 seasons. Poch is getting the absolute most out of him and Sissoko is repaying every bit of faith. The guy works as hard as Lamela yet has the power of Dembele. He's no where near as good of a footballer as them but he has a use. I think playing him in a 433 is definitely the way forward.

He was great today but he has been good for weeks now and I hope he starts against Chelsea in 2 weeks time. It'll be a battle and right now, I'd choose him to go into battle with.

I think confidence is a big thing in football. I feel like Sissoko knew he never really had the backing of the fans. I mean on Instagram when he used to do live videos, he'd get tons of abuse by Spurs fans telling him he's shit and how they want him to leave etc. That's just fucking bang out of order.

What I find odd is that Newcastle fans always moaned that he was lazy or didn't try - but I've never once seen that from Sissoko in a Spurs shirt, especially not over the last 2 seasons. Poch is getting the absolute most out of him and Sissoko is repaying every bit of faith. The guy works as hard as Lamela yet has the power of Dembele. He's no where near as good of a footballer as them but he has a use. I think playing him in a 433 is definitely the way forward.

He was great today but he has been good for weeks now and I hope he starts against Chelsea in 2 weeks time. It'll be a battle and right now, I'd choose him to go into battle with.

You’re usually fairly objective, so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. It feels as though you’re allowing one good performance to overshadow his whole Spurs career (which has generally been poor). He has been in good form, and if everybody is fit I’d still play him against Chelsea. He’s clearly got the ability, even if he isn’t technically very good.

He’s stepped up where Wanyama (sadly due to injury) has faltered. He’s playing a lot better than Dier too. Maybe it’s the ghost of Sandro that is haunting my judgement, as for me that was the benchmark of a destroyer. Peak Sandro was a beast, and Sissoko reminded me of him today.

As I said earlier, I hope this constitutes the turning of a corner. He shines brightly every now and then, and shined at his brightest for us today.

You’re usually fairly objective, so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. It feels as though you’re allowing one good performance to overshadow his whole Spurs career (which has generally been poor). He has been in good form, and if everybody is fit I’d still play him against Chelsea. He’s clearly got the ability, even if he isn’t technically very good.

He’s stepped up where Wanyama (sadly due to injury) has faltered. He’s playing a lot better than Dier too. Maybe it’s the ghost of Sandro that is haunting my judgement, as for me that was the benchmark of a destroyer. Peak Sandro was a beast, and Sissoko reminded me of him today.

As I said earlier, I hope this constitutes the turning of a corner. He shines brightly every now and then, and shined at his brightest for us today.

Whats in the past is in the past as far as I am concerned to be honest and I will admit he has been below average in his first two seasons for us (Sprinkled with a few good performances).

But he has been fine all season in my opinion. I think what happens is that alot of fans DO look back at Sissoko's career so far and base everything he does on that, like they're judging him and basing him on past seasons as opposed to looking at the overall performance and what he provides.

For example few weeks ago against West Ham, you had people calling out Sissoko for misplacing ONE pass. When he had been good all game and got an assist for Lamela's winner, I mean that's ridiculous and I have no doubt it happened because it was Sissoko. It's why I've argued with many on here that Sissoko gets a tougher time than every single one of our players. Someone was taking the piss and laughing at his finishing the other day until I told them he has more goals/assists than Dembele does in the last 3 years.

Said it before but if this was one of our own (Onomah perhaps?) putting in these kind of performances, they'd be heralded as a lot more than they actually are but I feel people see it's Sissoko and think oh it's just one of those games. Fact of the matter is one is putting in a great shift for us, working hard and helping us to victory. The other is struggling to start for a team struggling in the league below.

Last edited:
Whats in the past is in the past as far as I am concerned to be honest and I will admit he has been below average in his first two seasons for us (Sprinkled with a few good performances).

But he has been fine all season in my opinion. I think what happens is that alot of fans DO look back at Sissoko's career so far and base everything he does on that, like they're judging him and basing him on past seasons as opposed to looking at the overall performance and what he provides.

For example few weeks ago against West Ham, you had people calling out Sissoko for misplacing ONE pass. When he had been good all game and got an assist for Lamela's winner, I mean that's ridiculous and I have no doubt it happened because it was Sissoko. It's why I've argued with many on here that Sissoko gets a tougher time than every single one of our players. Someone was taking the piss and laughing at his finishing the other day until I told them he has more goals/assists than Dembele does in the last 3 years.

You can’t blame people for using past form as a basis for making judgements. Sissoko hasn’t got a great track record.

I agree that he’s probably under an unnecessarily high level of scrutiny. I think the same thing is happening with Dier, and also with Kane to some extent. For example, Kane’s performance today wasn’t that much different to a typical game a year or two ago, but people get hooked up on an overarching narrative.

Anyway, I’m beginning to sound like I’m being critical of Sissoko. I’m not. He was fantastic against Palace, and if he keeps this up he’ll be an important part of the first team.

Back
Top Bottom