Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's such a good piece it needs a couple of quote ....

"Great central midfielders often take on the personae of artists. Xavi, obviously enough, was Monet: all short, perfect dapples, not a stroke wasted. Zinedine Zidane was Caravaggio: the piercing light and the devastating dark, the infinite poise and the murderous desire. Moussa Sissoko, on the other hand, is more like one of those video installation artists who films himself sitting naked in a chair in a disused warehouse, before getting up, very deliberately picking up a sledgehammer, and violently demolishing everything in sight, right down to the four walls around him, before pressing his face tight up against the camera, a terrifying smile on his face, and whispering: “Free the animals.”

The opening paragraph of the Liew piece is probably the most creatively accurate I’ve seen in a sports article.

vc9asucr6d021.jpg

He’s been brilliant recently. In some ways, being proven wrong about a player is oddly more satisfying than gloating about the performance of a “favourite” player.
He’s really blossomed from a strong, but clumsy bloke into a midfield powerhouse.
Last nights performance was fantastic. Absolutely bossed it.

Ain't it lovely to see a player start believing in himself and taking his game up levels when so many, myself included saw no light at the end of the tunnel for him.

He, along with Lamela & Lucas has done a truly wonderful job when others were struggling for form or fitness, f he carries on as he has done and adds a final killer ball or the ability to ping one at goal believing he will genuinely give the goalkeeper a testing time trying to keep it out there's no saying as to what his importance to the team might become. I'm thoroughly enjoying supporting Moussa when he does something right instead of sitting there liking it and then waiting for the fail. He's adding so much to the team at the moment, the guy should be proud and brimming with confidence.

Good thing about it is amazingly, I believe there is more to come from him. 4-5 games on the spin he's been the most important player on the pitch, apart from Bazali Bazali who ever saw that coming? Wins my player of the month vote easily, well done Sissoko you ridiculously fine specimen. A warrior in lilywhite last night son!

Whilst Sissoko has improved massively, and has turned opinion around, I think he’s just another example of what phenomenal alchemists Pochettino, Jesus Perez and the rest of the staff are.

He was brought to be a speedy outlet, and he’s essentially been replaced by Lucas Moura because he failed massively at that role. He’s great tactically and a beast of an athlete, his obvious problem is his feet/limbs cannot match his brain.

By deploying Him as a marauding ball winning CM, (like he was in the 2016 Euros) who can then charge forwards like an NFL running back, Poch has minimised Sissoko’s weaknesses and maximised his strengths. He also plays his best against the better teams because he’s not expected to “control” the game because he sucks at that.

Sissoko had a misconception of being lazy; it’s actually the opposite, the mental toughness he’s shown to turn things around is something I haven’t seen by a Spurs player since maybe Huerelho Gomes.

Whilst Sissoko has improved massively, and has turned opinion around, I think he’s just another example of what phenomenal alchemists Pochettino, Jesus Perez and the rest of the staff are.

He was brought to be a speedy outlet, and he’s essentially been replaced by Lucas Moura because he failed massively at that role. He’s great tactically and a beast of an athlete, his obvious problem is his feet/limbs cannot match his brain.

By deploying Him as a marauding ball winning CM, (like he was in the 2016 Euros) who can then charge forwards like an NFL running back, Poch has minimised Sissoko’s weaknesses and maximised his strengths. He also plays his best against the better teams because he’s not expected to “control” the game because he sucks at that.

Sissoko had a misconception of being lazy; it’s actually the opposite, the mental toughness he’s shown to turn things around is something I haven’t seen by a Spurs player since maybe Huerelho Gomes.

Good question.

What other players besides Sissoko have gone from ridicule to almost cult like hero?

Gomes was one I was thinking of, Ekotto another too. Perhaps Bale and maybe Rose?

Back
Top Bottom