Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The guy is defying his detractors. You have to praise both Sissoko And his manager.

The biggest compliment I think he can be paid at present is that our current strongest line-up includes him without doubt.

Again though and the only criticism of the whole team is it comes in spurts.

We need 6 or 7 players to be near their best all season to overhaul City.

An astonishing turnaround in performances.

After 2 seasons at Spurs when his performances have generally been considered as meh, I honestly thought there was no chance of him improving and it was time for him to move on - and I think that was probably the opinion of the majority of Spurs fans. And in those 2 seasons whilst primarily being deployed as an offensive RM, he's also had chances at CM, and whilst he's never been first choice in those positions he's had plenty of chances and at age 29, I thought he had the experience to make it work for him.

Maybe its Dembele being injured so that he's no longer a 'dead cert' to play, coupled with Wanyama's injuries and loss of form - both powerful CM's who in 15/16 were regularly our first choice pairing - which has meant that with a bit of Poch coaching that he's seized the opportunity to replace at least one of them, but probably Dembele mostly with a display of power in midfield which the opposition just can't live with.

Possibly there's even more to be seen from Sissoko, as I think he may well add 'assists' to his current play, but even on current performances, he's a very welcome addition, if unexpected, as a CM ! And I think the Indy summed up his recent performances precisely - and they seemed as shocked as most Spurs fans at the emergence of Sissoko as a dominant force in the last half dozen games.

I saw Sissoko play CM in a 4231 away at Everton last season. We won 3-0. He was really good that day and I thought then I never want to see him out wide ever again, unless for a few minutes at the end of the game to help close it out. No coincidence at all that this run of good performances over the last few weeks have been in the middle. It's where he is most comfortable and where all his good attributes are most suited.

What's most pleasing however and was really noticeable yesterday is his confidence is growing game by game. He is looking more comfortable on the ball and when he travels with it and is really fitting into the role well with Dembele missing. Long may it continue.

It seems that in every game for the last few games he's 'played his best game in a Tottenham shirt'

Really happy for him, shows that if you have the right attitude you really can excel (like Lamela, Kane, Rose and some others).

Good question.

What other players besides Sissoko have gone from ridicule to almost cult like hero?

Gomes was one I was thinking of, Ekotto another too. Perhaps Bale and maybe Rose?

Rose definitely another; there was a point where it looked like the Woolwich wonder goal was a fluke and the announcement of the contract extension that he signed in 2014 was met with widespread derision.

I think BAE and Bale are different cases, both struggled with injuries initially but I think a lot of people could see the potential (especially with Bale) so were willing to be very patient. Lamela is someone I’d put in this group as well.

vc9asucr6d021.jpg
Smashing picture, i fucking love the Pasodoble.

Defensively he can be awesome at times.

For a big guy his stance is really low with a wide base and with his rangey limbs he smothers players from both sides almost.

On top of that he has good balance, and doesn't get caught with his feet flat or weight on the wrong foot so he can shift quickly in response to dribblers and keep poking a foot in to win the ball.

Certain players are also well built to shut down pacey, agile dribblers. Walker, prime Antonio Valencia & Sissoko have that speed x strength combo that makes them impossible to get past when they're concentrating.

Perfect box to box yesterday, with Dier the perfect DM. Eriksen and Dele switching between deep and #10 made us look so damn complete as a central midfield.

His Spurs career in stages, IMO:.
1. Awful signing, one of the clumsiest players I've seen.
2. OK to take a place on the bench, but just to bring on for the last ten minutes or so.
3. OK to play against 'smaller' sides in the early rounds of cup competitions.
4. Probably got more playing time than expected, due to our horrific injury list. He tried his best and ran his heart out, but not always effective.
5. Confidence started growing and got a couple of decent performances in, started to make his mark on a game and win some of the supporters over.
6. Transformation into a beast of a player, one of the first names on the team sheet, and someone whose name we sing at the top of our voices. Starting to seem like a bargain :)
I agree that he and Serge seem to have garnered a reasonably good understanding on the pitch, and it should get better over time.
We love a trier, and no-one tries harder than Moussa. I hope he feels the love.

His Spurs career in stages, IMO:.
1. Awful signing, one of the clumsiest players I've seen.
2. OK to take a place on the bench, but just to bring on for the last ten minutes or so.
3. OK to play against 'smaller' sides in the early rounds of cup competitions.
4. Probably got more playing time than expected, due to our horrific injury list. He tried his best and ran his heart out, but not always effective.
5. Confidence started growing and got a couple of decent performances in, started to make his mark on a game and win some of the supporters over.
6. Transformation into a beast of a player, one of the first names on the team sheet, and someone whose name we sing at the top of our voices. Starting to seem like a bargain :)
I agree that he and Serge seem to have garnered a reasonably good understanding on the pitch, and it should get better over time.
We love a trier, and no-one tries harder than Moussa. I hope he feels the love.

Bravo Mrs P!

Back
Top Bottom