Na Na Na Na Rafa Van Der Vaart Van Der Vaart

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He left us way too soon. But he has said that himself. His biggest mistake in his career was leaving us he once said. I was so fucking proud to see a fellow Dutchman at Spurs doing so well as he did.

Thanks Rafa for all the memories at Ajax and Spurs and all the best.

I always blamed his ex wife who worked in Germany for Rafa’s Spurs exit but I actually think it’s more because of AVB....

Ousted in favour of Siggy then ultimately replaced by Dempsey.

:vdvcry:

What a shame his hamstrings were made out of Weetabix.

For me one of our best signings in recent times, not just because he was a great footballer but his winning attitude was infectious. He brought in a winners mentatilty that I still do not think has been replaced. Would love to have seen him in this current squad of players.

We went from his passion and will to win to signing Clint dempsey, talk about polar opposites!

Never actually replaced, thought Holtby was going be his replacement. I’d say Eriksen is probably the closest to his replacement as we have got. Eriksen is also a better all round player.:eriksenserious:

Can't recall whether Holtby signed the Jan before or after, but given the comments that came out, it's seemed apparent that Siggy was slated to be that guy.... Dempsey appeared to be brought in to make up numbers (and add a few goals) once VDV decided he didn't want a reduced roll.

Last edited:
Can't recally whether Holtby signed the Jan before or after, but given the comments that came out, it's seemed apparent that Siggy was slated to be that guy.... Dempsey appeared to be brought in to make up numbers (and add a few goals) once VDV decided he didn't want a reduced roll.

Villas Boas had said to Rafa that his intention was to play Siggy in that role and he would get less game time.

Holtby was signed in the Jan window six months before we were due to get him for free after Sandro had picked up an injury.

Remember him being rumoured to move to us for years before he did, when he finally did I thought he was a damn good signing.

Thing I remember most about his time with us though was him celebrating like crazy after opening the scoring in THAT 3-1 win over Inter at the Lane.

Villas Boas had said to Rafa that his intention was to play Siggy in that role and he would get less game time.

Holtby was signed in the Jan window six months before we were due to get him for free after Sandro had picked up an injury.

According to VDV himself AVB just said he couldn't guarantee him (or anyone) a start, that he'd have to fight for his place.

He left because he wanted to be with his Mrs, but spun it so he didn't look like a love sick muppet.

Loved the little fella though.

It's probably a little bit that I look back upon that time with Lilywhite tinted glasses, but the first Champions League Season, when we had a front 4 of Bale, Lennon, VDV and Crouch, with Modric in behind, was a great time.

Was at uni and my flatmate was a Liverpool supporter and it was the time when we were (what now feels like) miles ahead of them. Loved it.

Back
Top Bottom