Nations League.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Foden has done nothing of note in an England shirt and sterling was typical wasteful sterling last night.

No part of my post was a vote for Foden.

Saka is a much better technical player than sterling imo.

......Whom plays on the opposite wing.

Suggesting that Mount & Saka are the answer to our problems is a superficial knee-jerk (no offense intended).

No part of my post was a vote for Foden.

......Whom plays on the opposite wing.

Suggesting that Mount & Saka are the answer to our problems is a superficial knee-jerk (no offense intended).
I don't think Sterling has ever really been the answer for England. I don't think he is a team player and his decision making is poor. I'd rather Mount coming in off the left with a left footed wing back overlapping and providing the nesasarry width and saka playing on the right and doing what he did last night. Foden should be a central player never a winger and I also get the feeling they don't really get on in how they play on the pitch and that effects the team in an attacking sense with the decisions they make. I think the attacking balance was far better once sterling and Foden were replaced.

Name me a manager since Southgate, that has done more for the England team? The guy took yous to a World Cup semi final and a euro final. You are talking about him like he’s a nonentity.
A World Cup semi final and a Euro final (that they lost) after being given incredibly favourable knockout stage routes.

The case could also be made that the players got there in spite of Southgate, not because of him.

It should be pretty clear to anyone who watches England that Southgate’s selections, tactics and decisions are way off.

Last edited:
TBF, the whole Kane/Toney narrative this last fortnight has been a complete red herring......

We're not playing crap because of Kane and we wouldn't have suddenly sprung into life by playing Toney..... Even the Maguire stuff is overstated as he's not made the team play badly for the last 18 months either.

The simple fact is that the team look barely coached in an attacking sense and are totally reliant upon moments of brilliance that rarely come despite the many high quality attacking players we have at our disposal.
I don’t think the lack of coaching is a massive issue. How much can he do in a few days? Either drop Kane or Sterling, and pick players that compliment them. They are an awful blend and stifle the attack. May as well out Dier and Maguire up top

I don't think Sterling has ever really been the answer for England. I don't think he is a team player and his decision making is poor. I'd rather Mount coming in off the left with a left footed wing back overlapping and providing the nesasarry width and saka playing on the right and doing what he did last night. Foden should be a central player never a winger and I also get the feeling they don't really get on in how they play on the pitch and that effects the team in an attacking sense with the decisions they make. I think the attacking balance was far better once sterling and Foden were replaced.

Were you calling for their inclusion prior to last night?

Afterall; both had been crap for some time..... Particularly Mount who's always played in from the right for club and county previously.

Make or break time for Sweden against Slovenia. Win = stay in group B for the next round of the nations league. Lose or draw = down to division C.

Dejan starts as per usual.

Spain is bit shit nowadays? I mean look at their team, nothing special.
I just think that the Lucho Enrique project has come to its natural end. They could do with a new manager to bring in some new ideas. And Enrique should be looking at getting back into club management.

That’s embarrassing.
It is. We have had a awful year on the international front. 2 wins in 9 games or something like that, which is our worst run of form since the late 70s.

Our manager doesn't seem able to pull off a good generational shift or to switch up his style to suit our new young attackers. He really wants to play 4-4-2 when we should at least play 4-3-3.

The first 10 minutes of this game is much better than anything that we produced against Serbia.

I just think that the Lucho Enrique project has come to its natural end. They could do with a new manager to bring in some new ideas. And Enrique should be looking at getting back into club management.
Point of order:

Luis Enrique is his given name, which can't be separated, Martínez Garcia his surnames.

Lucho is his nickname, so if you want to use that instead of Luis Enrique it would have to be Lucho Martínez..

Turns out that playing two wingers on the same wing was a bad idea. So Dejan has moved over to the left wing and Sweden looks much better for it.

Who'da thunk it? Dejan is giving Conte a big hug when he returns to London after suffering from this system.

Were you calling for their inclusion prior to last night?

Afterall; both had been crap for some time..... Particularly Mount who's always played in from the right for club and county previously.
In fairness your right I wasn't but I've said for some time I don't think Sterling is the one for England everyone thinks he is and I'm always underwhelmed by foden in an England shirt and I don't think right wing is the correct position for him. Saka has done really well for England. I think grealish offers more for us on the left than sterling I think mount does too.

The women are getting their own version. They must be delighted!! o_O

Women's Nations League to be introduced for first time in 2023​

Last updated 2 hours ago
A Women's Nations League will take place for the first time next year.
European football's governing body Uefa announced the new competition will begin in Autumn 2023 in the lead up to the 2025 Women's European Championship.

The men's Nations League was introduced in 2018 to replace international friendlies with more competitive games.

"Off the back of a historic Women's Euros, it's now time to further develop women's national team football," said Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin.

"We have built an open, competitive, and continuous system in which every match will matter, a true reflection of the European sports model.

"I am convinced that this format will help all European national associations and keep the dream of qualifying for a major international tournament alive."

The Women's Nations League will see countries placed into leagues of three or four teams based on ranking, with promotion and relegation between three tiers and the winners of the four top-tier groups contesting the Nations League finals.

The competition will link into qualification for both the 2025 European Championship and the 2027 World Cup, with a country's Nations League rank determining a team's starting league position in the qualifiers.

The European qualifiers, which begin in Spring 2024, will determine qualification for the European Championships and a team's starting league position in the following Nations League campaign.

Every four years, the Nations League finals will also determine which three European sides qualify for the Olympics.

For 2024, Olympic hosts France will be joined by the two Nations League finalists - or third-placed team if France reach the final.

The women are getting their own version. They must be delighted!! o_O

Women's Nations League to be introduced for first time in 2023​

Last updated 2 hours ago
A Women's Nations League will take place for the first time next year.
European football's governing body Uefa announced the new competition will begin in Autumn 2023 in the lead up to the 2025 Women's European Championship.

The men's Nations League was introduced in 2018 to replace international friendlies with more competitive games.

"Off the back of a historic Women's Euros, it's now time to further develop women's national team football," said Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin.

"We have built an open, competitive, and continuous system in which every match will matter, a true reflection of the European sports model.

"I am convinced that this format will help all European national associations and keep the dream of qualifying for a major international tournament alive."

The Women's Nations League will see countries placed into leagues of three or four teams based on ranking, with promotion and relegation between three tiers and the winners of the four top-tier groups contesting the Nations League finals.

The competition will link into qualification for both the 2025 European Championship and the 2027 World Cup, with a country's Nations League rank determining a team's starting league position in the qualifiers.

The European qualifiers, which begin in Spring 2024, will determine qualification for the European Championships and a team's starting league position in the following Nations League campaign.

Every four years, the Nations League finals will also determine which three European sides qualify for the Olympics.

For 2024, Olympic hosts France will be joined by the two Nations League finalists - or third-placed team if France reach the final.
Maybe Wrexham's men's team would have a better chance of promotion from that league.

Actually, they'd probably still finish second.

Back
Top Bottom